It’s time for GoDaddy to initiate bidder id’s to GoDaddy auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
A lot of info is coming to light on Namepros and to a lesser degree on TheDomains where people are commenting on NameJet bidding practices. It seems to me that another company should also be working to get their act together, GoDaddy. At least at NameJet we have bidder id's, and I think it's very important that GoDaddy introduces them. If people are possibly engaging in shady activity where you can … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sure I can tell you, before I had a chance to write it Jamie from DotWeekly left a comment on TLDinvestors explaining it succinctly.

Paul,

One thing to consider and a reason the bidder’s ID should be required even for expired domain auctions:

Bidder 1 places a bid
Bidder 2 places a bid

Bidder 2 drives the auction way up (using a fake account of sorts) off a proxy bid from bidder 1 and nobody else bids

Bidder 2 doesn’t pay, bidder 1 gets the domain for it’s initial bid due to the NPB. (from my understanding, GD does not re-auction domains)

I’m sure this happens and to what scale, I’m not sure. I’m sure it’s twisted more than just 1 & 2 bidders and could include 3 or 4 bidders, where the bid price isn’t always very low to throw flags.

There is no way to associate if the winning bidder got the domain after the auction. If it was renewed, second bidder got it etc. Since that is the case, it creates questions. If I can see I was bidding again a specific bidder ID and later whois records make sense, then I wouldn’t question it. Bidder 1 doesn’t help me with that.

That was a reply to Paul Nicks from GoDaddy who left a comment on the blog.

http://tldinvestors.com/2017/07/its-time-for-godaddy-to-initiate-bidder-ids-to-godaddy-auctions.html

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to bring the answer over. This happened to me once and GoDaddy moved the domain into my account and charged me my last highest bid. In this case, I don't think that they were driving it up, but regardless, same situation.

GoDaddy won't make you take it. I called them and told them that I didn't want it. They removed the domain and refunded the cost. But, if i would have still wanted it and the winner just coudn't/didn't pay, I could have had it for my previous bid.

So, I don't think that it's really an issue. That said, I'd prefer to use names/userids. The more transparency in any financial transaction, the better.

•••
Why would they bid on their expired auction? If they win, then instead of just renewing it, they also have to buy it. If they drive up the price, but don't win. GoDaddy gets the money, not them. The only reason I've heard of letting a domain drop and then redeeming it after the bidding is to test the waters and see what their domain might bring without actually putting it at auction. In that case, if you'd won and they redeem it, you get your money back. While it does happen, it happens rarely for me.

They don't have to pay for the auction if they renew or transfer before payment is due.

•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back