Dynadot

discuss It Only Took 5 Years

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
It only took 5 years, but last June finally acquired the dot-com to my non-com. It was kind of anti-climatic by this point, nonetheless I am extremely pleased.

A while back shortly after I decided upon my non-com portfolio name, I got this nagging urge to check what was going on with the dot-com version. In my mind, told myself didn't care either way. But the problem was, it went to a make offer page on Sedo, so then of course, I did care.

Over the years and several offers later with never a response/counter-offer from seller, it suddenly disappeared from the marketplace and was being used as a redirect to Epik. No lander no nothing, just a redirect to the registrar's homepage.

So I gave up on acquiring it, but that didn't stop me from checking once a week for changes. It became habit really, just type in the domain in the url bar and perhaps a whois lookup every so often just to confirm, yep, there it is alive and well but not a damn thing I can do about it.

Anyboo, come a week last June and did my ritual and all of a sudden what was the matter there arose such a clatter?! Before me the domain landed on a BUY NOW page over at GoDaddy! What the What??

Rubbed my eyes, slapped my face, did some more whois checking to make sure I wasn't making some sort of hallucinatory typo.. but yep 'twas for real. So then I thought, better sleep on it. I mean I've established my brand and was quite happy with it. Did I really need it? Hummed and hawed for the better part of 20 minutes on some key factors:

1) I've been tracking this domain for 5 years. I am the hunter, the prey finally lies before me.
2) It's the perfect match dot-com to my non-com and a nicely aged one at that (year 2000).
3) The buy now price is significantly LOWER than the previous offers I had put in!

That did it. Screw my rule of sleeping before a domain acquisition. So, less than 24 hours later there it was in my account. I am not going to rebrand, but wanted to share this story because if there is a domain you want, never give up going after it you just never know!

The domain? Begins with genuine and ends with domains. Dot-com. How about any of you's? Are you after a DN that seems just within your grasp? Have you spent a significant amount of time on a personal acquisition, and has it been successful? I am willing to bet that there have been longer hunts than 5 years..

Cheers guys,

- Hots

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
congrats on getting the longer version of your name! :ROFL:

But in all seriousness, it is one of the best feelings to finally catch that prey you have been after! Congrats and good job!

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on your acquisition! I have been on both sides where similar stories have unfolded, both the predator and the prey :-P. It feels great when you get that name you've been keeping your eyes on for years.

It's strange that they put it up for buy now at a rate less than you previously offered, why didn't they approach you and accept your previous offer? I have experienced similar weirdness for a .me name... I offered them low $xxx some time ago for the name, they wanted more and then I found it had been dropped recently and I picked it up for reg fee when they could have just accepted my offer and they could have at least had something for it. Strange!

Another example I've been involved in... My name is a name beginning with lu and ending in ke and I had the exact match .CO that I got at sunrise and the guy that bought it off me had been asking me about selling it for over 5 years at least and we didn't manage to come to an agreement because I loved it so much. I managed to get the equivalent .co.uk (I'm in the UK) after what I think was over 15 years of wanting the name, emailing, offering and being ignored. The owner finally agreed for me to buy it for a fairly decent sum and I then agreed a price for the other guy to have the .CO. Now we all have the names that we wanted (y)

I do have one question though, is there such thing as a non-genuine version of the things in which we trade :wtf:. Maybe a question for another day hehe...

•••
Congrats on your acquisition! I have been on both sides where similar stories have unfolded, both the predator and the prey :-P. It feels great when you get that name you've been keeping your eyes on for years.

It's strange that they put it up for buy now at a rate less than you previously offered, why didn't they approach you and accept your previous offer? I have experienced similar weirdness for a .me name... I offered them low $xxx some time ago for the name, they wanted more and then I found it had been dropped recently and I picked it up for reg fee when they could have just accepted my offer and they could have at least had something for it. Strange!

Another example I've been involved in... My name is a name beginning with lu and ending in ke and I had the exact match .CO that I got at sunrise and the guy that bought it off me had been asking me about selling it for over 5 years at least and we didn't manage to come to an agreement because I loved it so much. I managed to get the equivalent .co.uk (I'm in the UK) after what I think was over 15 years of wanting the name, emailing, offering and being ignored. The owner finally agreed for me to buy it for a fairly decent sum and I then agreed a price for the other guy to have the .CO. Now we all have the names that we wanted (y)

I do have one question though, is there such thing as a non-genuine version of the things in which we trade :wtf:. Maybe a question for another day hehe...
Thanks!

No clue why, re. why put up a BIN for less than prev offers, I was thinking it was possible the DN changed hands perhaps and the new owner wasn't aware of the other offers. But I don't see a name like this changing hands too often it's just not a broad enough appeal and caters to just the one right person (me) and an investor at that. So its likely that the owner simply wasn't getting anything other offers on it and finally decided to cut loose at BIN they knew would be snatched.

Re. 15 years ding ding we have a new front runner, lol! Wow that's some tenacity. But that's how it goes eh, gotta stick to it.

And then re. such a thing as non-genuine well it was one of the very first keywords I searched for because I wanted a portfolio name that gave an air of authenticity, which in my eyes authentic and genuine are closely related, but also reflected my own intentions of how I wish to carry business. I feel that in a portfolio site presentation is everything and the domain it sits on matters, it's like you're not going to serve top-notch food on a dirty plate right?

•••
Aw, happy for you man. Well done!

•••
Another reason to acquire is that you will save hundreds of hours potentially from no longer worrying about and/or checking on the domain :xf.grin:

•••
Such a good feeling to get the domain you've wanted for years I bet. Good for you!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back