NameSilo

Is the domain forwarding (redirect) lost after push/transfer?

Labeled as question in General Domain Discussion, started by Grossu, Aug 15, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. Grossu

Grossu Upgraded Member Blue Account

Hello NP

I couldn't find any information on this, so maybe someone helps me. The question is:

Is the domain name forwarding affected automatically (removed?) after push or transfer? Can this vary from one registrar to another, or a general rule is applied, for all registrars?

Thank you!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Asfas1000

Asfas1000 Top Contributor VIP

In my experience, yes, it's lost. While certain registars will keep the nameservers intact.

3. Grossu

After both push and transfer?

4. Asfas1000

Asfas1000 Top Contributor VIP

I think so. My understanding is that any forwarding is privy to the registrar and won't be shared, while nameservers are publicly available through WHOIS.

5. mad409

mad409 Always thinking outside the box! VIP

Should be...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  6. Grossu

To clarify - If a name has been already set to forwarding, before the push, then pushed to you, is the name still redirecting?

7. mad409

mad409 Always thinking outside the box! VIP

My bad, sorry I got it after the reply... @Asfas1000 is on spot IMO... :)

8. Bram C.

Bram C. AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

You can do forwarding on the hosting level as well (instead of registrar level). In that case if I push or transfer a domain and the buyer doesn't manually update the nameservers then my forwarding continues to work as well (assuming of course that the registrar will not automatically change my nameservers).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. Grossu

This is a point. However, I mean the redirect at registrar level, set up in domain name account panel. For example GD offers you the option to keep/change nameservers prior pushing the name, but no word about URL forward.

10. Bram C.

Bram C. AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well I think the only way to keep the forwarding is when you set the forwarding up at your hosting provider. If you forwarded through your registrar and then you push or transfer your domain the forwarding will always be lost I believe.

11. Grossu

The BB published names are being sold at NP here, with URL redirect enabled, to the BB page. Can any BB published name buyer confirm the URL forward is still ON, after push?

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice