IT.COM

Is it a good idea to pre-register new gTLDs? (Top-5: .web .shop .site .hotel .music)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
:hi: all!

Do you think it's a good idea to pre-register new gTLDs?
Or actually, some of you had already done it? :rolleyes:

By the way, here are the Top 10 of the New gTLDs... :cy:
attachment.php

Cheers! :snaphappy:

Attachments

• z.png
    z.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 171
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well it's always the same BS, the registrars will pimp any crap extension to gullible persons and depict them like the next big thing: you must stake your claim on the future - your chance ! - act now blah blah blah
The game has been run over and over for ages: .asia .co .ws .mobi .cc .cm .fool etc

Note the dramatic choice of keywords here:
  • revolution
  • opportunity
  • next stage
  • rewriting of the rules
  • reduce the importance of .com
  • front row seat
Newbies, take note: if you missed the boat here are your saviors :snaphappy:

The registrars want only one thing: sell domains. They won't be left holding the bag :) Just don't think: buy buy buy.
But it's just my opinion. Whether to take part or not is a question of strategy and I think it's better to do research, rather than rely on the advice of vested interests ;)

•••
I would not register new TLDs for only one reason: the NEWER TLDs will come out and the same thing will repeat.

•••
I will not register new TLDs! This is a joke. If these are real figures - there are many stupid people out there.

•••
Well it's always the same BS, the registrars will pimp any crap extension to gullible persons and depict them like the next big thing: you must stake your claim on the future - your chance ! - act now blah blah blah

The game has been run over and over for ages: .asia .co .ws .mobi .cc .cm .fool etc

Note the dramatic choice of keywords here:
  • revolution
  • opportunity
  • next stage
  • rewriting of the rules
  • reduce the importance of .com
  • front row seat

Newbies, take note: if you missed the boat here are your saviors :snaphappy:
- The registrars want only one thing: sell domains.
- They won't be left holding the bag :)
- Just don't think: buy buy buy.

But it's just my opinion.
Whether to take part or not is a question of strategy and I think it's better to do research, rather than rely on the advice of vested interests ;)

Ahh... I think this is the best comment so far... :bingo:
Thanks!

------------------------------------
But somehow, right now I tend to believe to someone's opinion who said that only .com and .org which will be likely to survive from the flood of all these new extensions.

I think because both of .com and .org are too unique: :gl:
- .com --> the de facto and de jure standard of all extensions.
- .org --> the only extension that fits to non-profit things.

:imho:

So... what do you think about it, guys? :rolleyes:

•••
Who do you pre-register with?

Given that most of these are contested strings and even the registry has not been confirmed.

Which makes selecting a registrar for your pre-reg impossible since most registrar agreements will be signed AFTER string delegation.

This pre-reg exercise by registrars (or others) are for a different function - to gauge interest in said strings, thus allowing them to only signup for those, since it costs money to start selling any tld viz the registrar agreement.

An additional benefit would be that they would have a list of the most sought keywords, you really want to share that knowledge with a third party, even if you do plan to register those domains?

•••
waste of time... just business for them...

•••
Who do you pre-register with?

Given that most of these are contested strings and even the registry has not been confirmed.

Which makes selecting a registrar for your pre-reg impossible since most registrar agreements will be signed AFTER string delegation.

This pre-reg exercise by registrars (or others) are for a different function - to gauge interest in said strings, thus allowing them to only signup for those, since it costs money to start selling any tld viz the registrar agreement.

An additional benefit would be that they would have a list of the most sought keywords, you really want to share that knowledge with a third party, even if you do plan to register those domains?

I'm pre-registering nothing.
Just being curious about this 'pre-register' things. B-)

But if you need the link, here it is... :cy:
http://uniteddomains.com/ntld/pre-register-new-domains/

And here is the Top 50 new gTLDs... :hehe:
http://uniteddomains.com/newgtld-ranking/

Cheers! :snaphappy:

•••
I might look into this .web thing. I won't lie I might register a few names other than that naaa

•••
I'm already in the planning stages, figuring out what I want, so when it's time, I'm ready to pounce.

orlandohotels.berlin
eco.eco (echo, echo)
nikeshoxsandals.music

etc.

•••
Some of these new tlds can be a good hacks:
.shop
.site
.club
don't know what can you do with .sport or .music, if only extreme.sport or classical.music, their usage is very limited imho.

•••
the "pre-registering" doesn't do anything. There's no cost, and you don't get anything for it except for an email when UnitedDomains figures out how much the domains are and when they'll be available.

Waste of time if you ask me.

•••
.web is the only one I would consider regs in

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back