Dynadot

.in Is .IN the sleeping giant?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Bruce Tedeschi, Digibroker.com

Let’s look at .in within this article. Discounted by most domain buyers, .in domain names are one extension where English can be used as a viable domain name. If we look at India, here are some key points:

Population as of 2008

* 1.2 BILLION people
* Population has tripled since 1960
* The U.S. population is 310-million.

Over $1-billion dollars are spent outsourcing from the U.S. to India just for IT/Customer Service contracts. The U.S. is the largest outsourcing country in the world. Based on the fact that U.S. companies outsource to India, representatives in India typically speak English.

So what’s been the problem with .in having a low resale value, basically India’s infrastructure for fiber optic cable is still evolving. However, major communications companies are rushing to India to lay this fiber.

The value of a domain in English or short characters will grow in value. So let’s take an example:

I own the domain name beautycream.in. I parked this name at parked.com and optimized the domain name. I saw a steady rise in traffic with this name with 90% of the traffic coming from India. The parking paid for the name registration in 1-month. As the name ranked higher in India search, so did the revenue. Obviously this name would be of interest to a manufacturer or be perfect for a store.

Currently name.com offers .in domain names for $3.99. I own 500 .in domain names for a total investment of $2,000. Parking revenue alone has far surpassed that. There are still GREAT .in names available. Also INF is a great place to discuss .in domain names. I have been domaining for 13-years and I firmly believe these names will have high value if you can have some patience and build the names out. Smartname.com allows you to park your domain names and also build a store in moments at no-cost to you. They also allow you to put your own code in the header, footer, and sidebar for affiliate programs such as Amazon or shopzilla.

If you’re not investing in .in, you are missing out on revenue. Remember, resale of a domain name is only a piece of monetization.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You do realise renewals would be around $15 each?

How many of those 500 would produce at least renewal fee in parking revenue? Considering most are probably hand regs.

.IN is a solid, but long term (imho) investment vehicle. Quick flips are possible at times but rare tbh. The rest of your points are extremely valid though. :tu:

•••
so true ..

The above are the reason which made me invest money for the last 3 years in it and have around 700 domains.

•••
It will be big, but only those who can hold on to the names will get the fruit.
Lets face it, its not gonna boom any time soon. It's a long term investment for sure.
But it will definitely be very big one day.

•••
Things are different if you view it through a domestic experience, the level of awareness about keyword domains among companies is very minuscule at this point of time and could not see any significant improvement in the immediate future.

Last edited:
•••
Actually the level of awareness for .in is extremely high, think you have some incorrect info.

Here are some developed sites for reference:
http://www.namepros.com/cctld-discussion/510301-developed-in-co-in-showcase.html

It's just that local business hasn't yet understood the advantage of generic domains and the value these can generate for their business. Even in your stated example, beautycream.com would easily be a mid five figure domain, if not higher, beautycream.in might sell for $xxx now to a motivated buyer, but would probably add on $x,xxx per year to the bottomline of any end user smart enough to use it to denote their market leadership.

•••
Actually the level of awareness for .in is extremely high, think you have some incorrect info.

Here are some developed sites for reference:
http://www.namepros.com/cctld-discussion/510301-developed-in-co-in-showcase.html

It's just that local business hasn't yet understood the advantage of generic domains and the value these can generate for their business. Even in your stated example, beautycream.com would easily be a mid five figure domain, if not higher, beautycream.in might sell for $xxx now to a motivated buyer, but would probably add on $x,xxx per year to the bottomline of any end user smart enough to use it to denote their market leadership.

Even I meant the same, there are many developed .in / .co.in sites but companies don't understand the benefit of generic or keyword domains.
There may be a developed site in the companyname.co.in, but the same company does not understand the benefit of keyword domain related to its core business.

Edited my previous post for more clarity.

Last edited:
•••
Well

I have received many mid $xx offers for some good enough two words domain in .in's. So I do think the awareness exist it is just that people are not ready to more for the domains as there is not much awareness for the same.

•••
India currently has ~80m internet users today. That number is going to be 240m in 2012 or 2013.Can you imagine the increase in demand for hosting,broadband,domains,etc? There is already a good level of activity going on in the .in space IMO,but it is only going to get better with time.I definitely expect a few solid sales within 3-6 years.Many good hand regged .ins already get traffic and that can subsidize your renewal costs..IN in my opinion is a sleeping giant and it has one of the lowest costs of entry, but a huge upswing potential in the near future.

got lll.ins?:bingo:

Last edited:
•••
one of my best names is a .in . I get lots of traffic from both India and the U.S.

No doubt .in will be an extention to keep an eye on especialy anything IT related

Ride the :wave:

•••
I too support the views expressed here.
.IN is the new IN thing.

•••
There are two things missing from .in market.

One companies in business don't understand or appreciate the surrounding domain names for their business. for example company in furniture business is not grabbing domains or traffic related to chair,tables office furniture, designer furniture etc.

Secondly local business is yet to realize the potential of online business and the growing internet usage in India. Those who realize still are going after for .com. Very few are opting for .in version. I guess awareness is missing factor.

I am not sure if there is something on the line of dnjournal.com which will give some trends or traffic for.in domains. If this information is highlighted in leading tech magazines it may change perception for local or major business about .in domains.

Thanks

•••
People are taking .in's when they are unable to get the .com's. And .in is the best alternative anybody can have!

Many people in India doesn't know, that there is an extension called ".in", The registry should advertise ;) and make it BIG!

Last edited:
•••

Let’s look at .in within this article. Discounted by most domain buyers, .in domain names are one extension where English can be used as a viable domain name. If we look at India, here are some key points:

Population as of 2008

* 1.2 BILLION people

Yes, India has 4x the population of the US, but financially it is nowhere close.

India has a GDP of about 1.2T for 1.2B people. That is $1,031 per person per year, which is 139th in the world.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita)

Canada for example has a GDP that is higher than India's with only 34M people.

US has a GDP over $14T. That works out to about $46,000 per person.

You have to factor in economics when investing in ccTLDs.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
.in definitely hasn't matured yet,and thats partly why it is a good investment today because you can buy into it for cheap.

When you combine India's population pressure, the popuarity of IT and the internet in India, the saturation and high price of .com, it isn't hard to see that .in will have a place in India's future. In my opinion, .in can't go down any more. Its only going up, but when will you buy into it?lll.ins will keep going up little by little price because the supply keeps shrinking(people don't even want to post the available lll.in list on NP anymore!:o),people and companies are already buying one word .ins so these are good signs that good .in names have a good chance of selling in the the next few years.

•••
I have many one word generic .in , A lot of em spot light corporate India. I am very optimistic that .in will do well. It is just a matter of time. I am patient and will be holding my .in portfolio when it all happens:)

•••
In last 3 years I invested $ mid xxxxx for my entire .in & .co.in portfolio. I made low xxxxxx ( Six Figure )by selling 4% of my portfolio.

So my answer is YES.

Population as of 2008

* 1.2 BILLION people

Over $1-billion dollars are spent outsourcing from the U.S. to India just for IT/Customer Service contracts. The U.S. is the largest outsourcing country in the world. Based on the fact that U.S. companies outsource to India, representatives in India typically speak English.

So what’s been the problem with .in having a low resale value, basically India’s infrastructure for fiber optic cable is still evolving. However, major communications companies are rushing to India to lay this fiber.

The value of a domain in English or short characters will grow in value. So let’s take an example:

I own the domain name beautycream.in. I parked this name at parked.com and optimized the domain name. I saw a steady rise in traffic with this name with 90% of the traffic coming from India. The parking paid for the name registration in 1-month. As the name ranked higher in India search, so did the revenue. Obviously this name would be of interest to a manufacturer or be perfect for a store.

Currently name.com offers .in domain names for $3.99. I own 500 .in domain names for a total investment of $2,000. Parking revenue alone has far surpassed that. There are still GREAT .in names available. Also INF is a great place to discuss .in domain names. I have been domaining for 13-years and I firmly believe these names will have high value if you can have some patience and build the names out. Smartname.com allows you to park your domain names and also build a store in moments at no-cost to you. They also allow you to put your own code in the header, footer, and sidebar for affiliate programs such as Amazon or shopzilla.

If you’re not investing in .in, you are missing out on revenue. Remember, resale of a domain name is only a piece of monetization.

•••
^ awesome!

Where have you been selling your names? (have you been actively seeking/contacting end-users or have they been contacting you?)

Last edited:
•••
Yes, India has 4x the population of the US, but financially it is nowhere close.

India has a GDP of about 1.2T for 1.2B people. That is $1,031 per person per year, which is 139th in the world.
(List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Canada for example has a GDP that is higher than India's with only 34M people.

US has a GDP over $14T. That works out to about $46,000 per person.

You have to factor in economics when investing in ccTLDs.

Brad

You do realise It's growth rate?

And BTW Many U.S. companies are outsourcing to the tune of 90%.
And India is the King of Outsourcing.

IMHO .in is the next big thing.

•••
IMO it's going to be decades before India catches up (if it ever does), it's beyond the investment horizon of domainers.
The thing that worries me most is the trust you can have in the extension, there have been disturbing domain dispute rulings.
In terms of safety, I tend to believe there are more secure ccTLDs.

•••

* 1.2 BILLION people
The problem is that most of those 1.2 BILLION people can't afford toilet paper, let alone domain names.

The population has tripled since 1960. Now there are three times as many people who can't afford toilet paper or domains.

•••

* 1.2 BILLION people
The problem is that most of those 1.2 BILLION people can't afford toilet paper, let alone domain names.

The population has tripled since 1960. Now there are three times as many people who can't afford toilet paper or domains.

Your argument is a bit cynical and exaggerated.Even if there is widespread poverty in India, there are still MANY Indians who have the money to buy indian domain names.The biggest hinderance is their understanding and appreciation of domain names as assets. Its inaccurate to think that because a country is poor it doesn't have wealthy people in it who can spend alot of money on whatever they like.

•••
I agree that the USA is a much stronger market, but with 50% of the Indian Population being 'middle class', the purchasing power is quite strong.

Otherwise you wouldn't have US based companies falling all over themselves to enter the local market, with all its perceived and real problems.

GDP figures tend to include people at both ends of the financial spectrum, unless you really think that everyone in the US actually makes a min. of $46k / yr.

We've never used toilet paper, it is ecologically irresponsible, not to mention the fact that if you've ever eaten Indian food you'd know the toilet paper would catch fire, why we use water. :p

Do you know that the average Indian who purchases a car pays 1.5x what the car would cost in the US or UK? Just going by the number of cars being sold in India would give you a fair indication of the number of domains that could be sold.

I'll be the first to say its not all hunky dory here, but to look down on India at the current moment is to ignore what all the big financial pundits seem to be well aware of - the fact that its one of the fastest growing economies in the world, as well as one of the largest, ignore it and you'll just be harming your own investments, not ours.

And, whats even more important, by treating .IN as 'just another ccTLD', you fail to address the fact that its globally accepted and in use in many countries of the world with high value projects, including the USA - see outside.in for a classic example.

•••

* 1.2 BILLION people

Even if your statement is the case, I would venture to bet that there are more very wealthy people in India, Than the whole population of the USA, Out of 1.2 billion people, I would think at least 310 million are extremely wealthy. That would be if India's poverty rate was in the 60% ratio.

•••

* 1.2 BILLION people

Even if your statement is the case, I would venture to bet that there are more very wealthy people in India, Than the whole population of the USA, Out of 1.2 billion people, I would think at least 310 million are extremely wealthy. That would be if India's poverty rate was in the 60% ratio.

I would have put it more tactfully than HeyNow, but the bottom line is India's economy clearly has a long way to go.

The average GDP per person is about $1,200 in India. Various financial studies show about 5% of the population control 46% of the wealth.

So if you do the basic math -

- 60M people out of 1.2B have a total of 552B ($9,200 average per person)
- 1.14B people have a total of 648B ($568 per person)

According to the following, 75%+ of the population lives on less than $2/day

List of countries by percentage of population living in poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back