IT.COM

domains Is ICANN Running a Racket?

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Patrick (Overstock's founder and then-CEO) wanted to buy o.com. He sat across from me and slid a check for $1,000,000 payable to ICANN across my desk...If my memory serves me correctly, Patrick offered $2 million.

Perhaps Overstock's attempt was rebuffed because the price offered wasn't generous enough but this episode demonstrates how a party interested in acquiring o.com could and did conclude, correctly, that single-character .com labels are existing domain name registrations and, incorrectly but maybe somewhat understandably, that they were ICANN's to sell since they were and remain registered to the IANA registrar.

Why are these names still registered by IANA?

read more (circle Id)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Patrick (Overstock's founder and then-CEO) wanted to buy o.com. He sat across from me and slid a check for $1,000,000 payable to ICANN across my desk...If my memory serves me correctly, Patrick offered $2 million.

Perhaps Overstock's attempt was rebuffed because the price offered wasn't generous enough but this episode demonstrates how a party interested in acquiring o.com could and did conclude, correctly, that single-character .com labels are existing domain name registrations and, incorrectly but maybe somewhat understandably, that they were ICANN's to sell since they were and remain registered to the IANA registrar.

Why are these names still registered by IANA?

read more (circle Id)

Of course they are running a monopoly, and anyone who denies it, is either lying to themselves or they are apart of it ... same with Verisign

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back