IT.COM

poll Is domaining work?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is domaining work?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    70.9%
  • No

votes
    29.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Is domaining work?

Watching some pre-season football (American) I witnessed an interview with legendary multi-Super Bowl champion coach Bill Belichick.

Coach Belichick is known for putting hard hours into his work. There is no doubt he works hard.

Coach Belicheck was recently asked, "are you having fun?"

He answered, "it's a tough business, but it beats working." He went on to answer that he doesn't call it "work."

So one of the hardest working, most dedicated, most successful coaches of all time doesn't call it work?

Is domaining work?

(Full disclosure: I am a Rams fan)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I view it as a video game that requires more than just quick eye/hand coordination.

To be successful you have to have a bit more to work with...yep, it is work!

•••
HOF Fran Tarkenton said - "If it's not fun, you're not doing it right"!

•••
•••
Work generates an income. Most domainers are just spending money.

•••
When you enjoy what you're doing, it flows easily and may not seem as work.

Even chronic gamblers don't see the efforts they put in to generate information they use in making their decision as work.

But work is really involved to generate information that will help you to take the right decision. If you find it difficult to put in the required effort to update yourself on current information, then you may not really enjoy domain investment.

Getting the right information helps to make the risks involved a calculated risk.

•••
It works as long as your buying/renewing/selling strategy works.

•••
If you don't call it a real job then you can say your hobby is your work. Buy names and park them for a hobby and let me know if doing no work is working for you. I would call building a marketplace writing descriptions creating logos work along with any other duties even transfers can be hard work.

Last edited:
•••
If money is not a concern, it will be a entertainment.

•••
It is work, it doesn't seem like work because you're enjoying what you're doing ( i.e Bill Belichick )

•••
Domaining is real business in a multi billion dollars domain industry. It works if you approach it as real business with good grasp of the basics.

I am currently doing Domaining as the only full time work I have. Yes, Domaining is work.

Last edited:
•••
Not hard to decide if it is work or not.
It is more difficult to make a decision between work, job, business, hobby, fun, entertainment etc.
I´d say domaining is destiny because it overcomes you like a chronic disease or a great love.

•••
I had trouble voting. I think it can be a pastime but not work for many. Clearly for many others it is a business and work, either full or part time.

I would say if you have a business plan, investment goals and performance metrics it is work (and you should if it is a business).

If not work you have more freedom to follow what interests you, but should be wary of domainer addiction and should only invest what you can afford to spend and potentially lose.

I personally voted work but could easily convince myself to make other choice.

Thanks for question @Internet.Domains !!

Bob

•••
Yeah
It is work
Real work,
You really need to be smart,hardworking and patient to make it in this industry
Same with normal day work
Smart, hardworking and patient( for 30days)
Only difference is our being patient decides on us or the market.

•••
According to my ex girlfriend this isnt a real job. So I guess this is a hobby 😂

Last edited:
•••
"Am Fließband stehen, das ist Arbeit.
Was ich mache, ist Freizeitgestaltung mit beruflichem Hintergrund."

"Standing at the assembly line, that's work.
What I do is leisure time activities with a professional background."

Karl Lagerfeld

•••
Hell yeahh..... this is pure business..

•••
Even if you enjoy it, it is still work.

Many people like this business for the chase, but who really enjoys related things like accounting, taxes, domain management, etc.

Brad

•••
No, it will not work.
To be simple there is a lot of manipulation here in the industry.
For example, if you put one domain for an auction, you will not sell it. If the same domain is sold by a large player, it will be sold.

•••
There are many athletes who are legends and are greatly admired here but nevertheless had or have lucrative contracts and obligations to fulfill to an employer.

Question: Would these athletes show up in the locker room, on the field, in the game or the office virtually every day for years and provide the same services and put in the same amount of time without some certainty of renumeration for same?

Serious domineers have no guarantee their time, expenses, or efforts will yield a penny!

I understand ( and envy ) that for many people their work is truly very enjoyable and fun but nevertheless, receive an income, pay taxes, likely have contracts and ergo, are doing work.

For many in the field of domains that I have come to admire here on NamePros, their approach to domains is professional including risk capital, strategies, commissions and / or fees paid, contracts
(to buy/sell), attention to legal issues (TM etc), taxes to pay, use of customized computer software, etc., and still face a distinct possibility of feasting or famine.

IMO for many on NPs a resounding YES is the answer to " Is domaining work? "

For others domaining is a " hobby business", or an online part time endeavor or, something to try for a short time for possibly minimum dollars in return.

Real day in and day out domineers work at their craft without glamour, glory or guarantee.

GBP fan who is not a full time, true working domineer now or in the past.

Last edited:
•••
No, it will not work.
To be simple there is a lot of manipulation here in the industry.
For example, if you put one domain for an auction, you will not sell it. If the same domain is sold by a large player, it will be sold.

horrible
horrible
horrible

•••
It's work but it's very quirky work, with a good dose of surrealism thrown in. It makes you think "what are words anyway"?

If you go back 100-150, years life was a real struggle. Most people were lucky if they lived beyond 40 or even less.

If you were lucky to have work, you might be down some mine for most of the day damaging your health.

You can make a nice living at this with a reasonable amount of work, you don't need to be at the top of the industry. By putting the right words together, you can earn the most precious gift of all:

Freedom.

•••
Main income or side hustle would be a better assessment.

•••
More of an expensive hobby at this point

•••
None of us are waking up saying ugh I have to go sell domains. I have a retail job and I assure you I wake up every day hating life. That sir is a J-O-B.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back