IT.COM

alert Is "DDRA Research" a scam?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
This week I received 2 of these emails for domains that have nothing to do with IOTs. The email is odd because it points to what looks like is probably a legit website, but the website says nothing about this "research", and there isn't even a signup form on the page linked to. VERY suspicious, but weird that it points to a site.

Anyone else getting these, or know anything about this?

======

Hello Domain Admin,

My name is Tim Ballard I am the senior project coordinator for “DDRA” Domain Database Research & Analytics a non-profit research group. Our website can be seen by clicking here. We study the analytical trends and shifts of domain names on the internet. I saw your domain name [domain I own] and would like to add it to our research list with your permission of course.

For about 3 years we have been studying domain name trends and registrar changes. Our primary focuses are on 3 areas, Domain Name Trends, Network Infrastructure Impact, Search Engine Variable Data and how the impact of changes affect user experience. We study the IoT (Internet Of Things) with Big Data and could use your contribution of data!

When we study websites we collect data on each website, what the domain is used for i.e e-commerce, corporate, personal, artistic, service based etc, where it was registered as well as traffic levels. We also generate snapshots of the websites and analyze changes made to the website and any search engine ranking changes that were caused by the changes so we can get a better understanding of how search engines rank websites.

We compile all of our data into a macro report and share it with other research companies, data collection companies, and universities across the United States. Of course this anonymous so your information isn’t disclosed to anybody.

If you’d like to contribute to our research it will cost you absolutely nothing and we can compensate you in three ways: We can pay you up to $250.00 for letting us monitor your website, we can also give you a do-follow link from our website to yours. The third way we can compensate you is by giving you a quarterly personal snapshot report of your website as it changes and the results. We also have a great program for webmasters who have 5+ websites that get 10,000+ visitors a month that can be compensated for each website.

If you’d like to join the program we’d love to have you on board and remember it doesn’t cost anything to contribute and we would never ask for anything beyond your permission. If you’d like to join click here and get started today!

If you are not interested and would like us to remove your email from our database just simply click here and unsubscribe.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach me on my contact page by clicking here. This email account isn’t actively monitored.

This is your information thus far:

[My Whois data is here]

Tim Ballard

Senior Project Coordinator

DDRA - Domain Data Research & Analytics Inc.

~ The iOT is a living breathing entity and we can study its behavior traits through the help of Big Data ~

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE -- This email is intended only for the person(s) named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is confidential, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender of the error and delete the message. Thank you.

======

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just checked out the whois for domaindatabase (dot) co. Interestingly, a website with the same address but with an India TLD country code was connected to the registrant. I checked out that website and it looks like they sell whois data: domaindatabase (dot) in (also really bad photoshop/stock photos if you enjoy the LOL's)

I do have a question because I dont know much about this stuff--who buys domain/whois info...and for what purpose?

•••
I didn’t get fired. We are building a list of active websites kind of like the Wayback machine and using the content that we gather to create analytics of trends we notice on the internet. A great way to explain this is if you ever notice how about a year ago Shopify became very popular and building an online e-commerce store is booming now whereas 10 years ago it was all about click bank and e-products. We gather the bulk of the websites that are created on a daily basis, scan them, and detect the platform, content, keywords, rankings, etc… i.e if its Shopify, Wordpress, Magento, etc. It allows us to notice trends before the majority of the internet does. We don’t want your money, were not trying to sell your information we just want to collect it and build a macro based analysis on what we find. The study offers up to $250.00 not all sites will qualify for $250.00 or payment at all honestly. We are very selective in who we choose to intently study. For those who we were/are interested in, we have reached out and continue to reach out. I’m sorry you guys don’t like our methods of advertising or marketing I will suggest it to our marketing team.

Tim B.

•••
I just checked out the whois for domaindatabase (dot) co. Interestingly, a website with the same address but with an India TLD country code was connected to the registrant. I checked out that website and it looks like they sell whois data: domaindatabase (dot) in (also really bad photoshop/stock photos if you enjoy the LOL's)

I do have a question because I dont know much about this stuff--who buys domain/whois info...and for what purpose?
We are located in arizona in the usa

•••

We bought the domain name from a domainer who was interestingly enough was selling whois info. Many analysts will buy these lists to either monitor higher end domains to watch when they expire so they can buy them up and flip them or other times create alternate domain names like godadddy.com (misspelling, similar names, etc) to sell back to the company to protect the branding... i.e domaining

•••
Today 4/4/2017 I received the same offer, protect your domain, this are a group of people that analysis your site in value for traffic and domain name position, they offer you to purchase your domain, and then they sell it for millions to companies that need your domain name for their business, remember Sex dot com, was purchased for 8 bucks and sold by Sedo for $13 million. These is their job find profitable websites, to steal and resell them for millions, don't give any information, or sign any documents of any kind, electronic, digital, fax or mail.

•••
I too received this email on today with same message regarding one of my domain names. However the Domain Name of interest is undeveloped.

Ummm!

•••
I think the oddest part is the domain that I got sent this email about is probably the least valuable for resale of any I have registered as it has my name in it which is quite uncommon and was registered for an e commerce site to eventually be set up.

•••
I Got the same letters from Tim Ballard and Greg Sariano...The email address is @rankthetop.com.... When you go to rankthetop.com you see some of the images that appear on the banner for DDRA... However, rankthetop.com has no links and no information... I got two different letters... One asks me permission BEFORE taking a snapshot of a brand new domain that is parked? The other letter I got offers $250 cash for a different domain that I just purchased two weeks ago... Of course to collect the $250, one must give banking account information, etc... This is a good old fashioned Phishing scam ( at best)... Now, we can all relax and go back to reality... Nobody is gonna pay $250 USD for a gross amount of useless data that they can get for free...

•••
Flash from

The domain for whois lookup is
www dot whois dot co and the rest is /whois-gui/

It reveals an Arizona phone number for Tim Ballard but this website won't let me post links, of which the whois contains many.

Número Identificación del Contacto Técnico

CR258625099
Nombre del Contacto Técnico Tim Ballard
Compañía/Organización del Contacto Técnico Domain Database Analytics & info
Dirección del Contacto Técnico 2008 W Erie
Ciudad del Contacto Técnico Chandler
Departamento/Ciudad del Contacto Técnico Arizona
Código Postal del Contacto Técnico 85224
País del Contacto Técnico United States
Código de País del Contacto Técnico US
Teléfono del Contacto Técnico +1.4804012197

•••
Today 4/4/2017 I received the same offer, protect your domain, this are a group of people that analysis your site in value for traffic and domain name position, they offer you to purchase your domain, and then they sell it for millions to companies that need your domain name for their business, remember Sex dot com, was purchased for 8 bucks and sold by Sedo for $13 million. These is their job find profitable websites, to steal and resell them for millions, don't give any information, or sign any documents of any kind, electronic, digital, fax or mail.
So basically, if they contact you, they predict that your name is going to be valuable in the future. So I can infer that, because they contacted me over a domain... I should not sell it to them, because it's possibly about to increase in value.
They basically do the hard work for you, just don't sell them your domain since they just told you what it's worth.
In that respect, I do respect their ability to spot those domains, but SEO emails are usually just not reputable. Like people who buy your domains that expire and try to sell them back to you.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back