IT.COM

Is Dan Good for Selling Brandable Names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Veneris

Established Member
Impact
Hello fam,

I've been thinking about this for a while, but haven't tried it out yet.
Like the Question goes is Dan a good platform for Brandable Names?
I'm aware that alot of people use them mostly for geo names and engaging end-users and closing Sales as a result of outbound effort.
In similar case, does it covert for Brandable niche?

Thanks for your thoughts..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’ve been using Dan for the past couple of years and I solely invest in brandable names. I also list all names on Afternic and Sedo. I used to have my own landing pages and process payments myself, but due to country relocation a couple of years ago, I had to find an alternative solution. I think it’s entirely possible to build a sustainable business in brandables solely using Afternic and Dan - if you have quality names. Most of my sales so far have been through direct type in traffic to Dan landing pages or buyers buy directly at registrars in the Afternic network.

Dan's strength is the low friction checkout process and modern landing pages, so if you only list and don’t point domains to their landing pages, you won’t see as much results. I don’t think Dan is yet a marketplace where buyers don’t know what they want, and visit Dan to browse and find a brandable name for their business. These are my opinions, hope it helps.

Last edited:
•••
I’ve been using Dan for the past couple of years and I solely invest in brandable names. I also list all names on Afternic and Sedo. I used to have my own landing pages and process payments myself, but due to country relocation a couple of years ago, I had to find an alternative solution. I think it’s entirely possible to build a sustainable business in brandables solely using Afternic and Dan - if you have quality names. Most of my sales so far have been through direct type in traffic to Dan landing pages or buyers buy directly at registrars in the Afternic network.

Dan's strength is the low friction checkout process and modern landing pages, so if you only list and don’t point domains to their landing pages, you won’t see as much results. I don’t think Dan is yet a marketplace where buyers don’t know what they want, and visit Dan to browse and find a brandable name for their business. These are my opinions, hope it helps.
Thanks @brandsly. Points noted.

•••
Anyone else have experience trying this? Kindly share.

•••
Brandables typically have less type-in traffic compared to keyword names. They are less likely to be 'exact searched' in marketplaces like DAN and others, meaning they are less likely to be found of its own.So it is important that you give the user enough choices/alternatives which can be achieved through your own marketplace as your other domains will drive the traffic there. And then use a third party for checkout.

Approach: List them where ever you can, build your own marketplace and land all domains there, and use some third party for checkout.

Hope it helps.

•••

My view and experience are the same as Brandsly. Afternic is best for shoppers and their deep affiliate market penetration is unparalleled - so I do list there - but I also list at Dan and use Dan landers - for type in traffic - because their checkout is smoother (more conducive to impulse purchases) and they offer payment plans.

Most retail shoppers have never heard of either Dan or Afternic so the name recognition is the same even though Afternic has been around much longer.

I think Dan made a big step forward when they abandoned the name Undeveloped - which was strange and confusing and lacked customer confidence. I think their new URL and pleasant, clean looking site, with personalized landers gives a big edge over Afternic if and when a potential buyer gets there.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back