Domain Empire

question Is calling a domain owner ok?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pathfinderbeacon

Established Member
Impact
Someone owns this domain I'm trying to buy for my business. Their WhoIs info is not private. I've sent two emails to the address with an offer. No luck. I found the owner on LinkedIn, sent them a request with a message to buy the domain. Don't think he's active on there as I haven't heard back.

The owner's phone number is listed. Is it acceptable to call or is that too weird? I think it's acceptable as the info is not private and the domain hasn't been used for a couple of years now, but want to be sure. Any tips on how to handle the conversation?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure if that is allowed. Doesn't that go against GDPR guidelines? Firstly, putting the information of a domain owner on the internet?

•••
I am not sure if that is allowed. Doesn't that go against GDPR guidelines? Firstly, putting the information of a domain owner on the internet?

I think you misunderstood the question. The domain owner's info is visible when I look up the WhoIs information. That doesn't violate anything. My question is if it's ok to give the owner a call and see if the domain is for sale.

•••
If he is not answering your emails what makes you think he will answer your calls or texts? You can go that route but using a cheaper domain acquisition service might get his attention.

The issue is either his details aren’t accurate or your offer or non offer however you worded it was much lower than he cares to sell for. Many domainers ignore contact if they feel the request is not anywhere near his selling price or think its a tire kicking fellow domainer.

If there is no landing page and you can’t find it listed for sale anywhere you could always just wait to see if it gets dropped. Its how much do you want that specific name that you need to decide.

•••
The domain owner's info is visible when I look up the WhoIs information. That doesn't violate anything. My question is if it's ok to give the owner a call and see if the domain is for sale.

I would try email or another online communication method. Calling wouldn't be wrong if the phone number is a public info and if you are not trying to sell something. But calling would reveal your location, in the worse scenario they might call you back repeatedly even if you no longer want to buy. I would try to stay anonymous as much as possible before reaching a final agreement on the price and other details.

Last edited:
•••
Check domain marketplaces such as Godaddy, Afternic, SEDO, Uniregistry, EPIK, DAN to see if it is listed for sale and if so submit an offer there. If the current registrant has not responded to an offer it is likely because your offer is well below the price which would entice them to sell. If you are not willing to pay more than your recent offer you will need to choose a different domain.

•••
Good question.. but guess that's up to you to decide. I don't think it would be too weird. A little maybe. No response on emails or LinkedIn could be a hint, though it's also possible those contact avenues are being unattended.

Keeping in mind, not every domain is for sale, and some value their privacy even though you can see their whois. So maybe stress that on the call, no invasion intended but it was the only means you found to contact them.

You'll never know what could have been unless you try, right?

•••
Check domain marketplaces such as Godaddy, Afternic, SEDO, Uniregistry, EPIK, DAN to see if it is listed for sale and if so submit an offer there. If the current registrant has not responded to an offer it is likely because your offer is well below the price which would entice them to sell. If you are not willing to pay more than your recent offer you will need to choose a different domain.

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't find the domain on any of the sites. In my emails, I said "Please let me know either way" hoping he'd counteroffer or let me know if it wasn't for sale, so I don't think the offer made is an issue.

•••
I hope you will offer more than $20.

•••
Ethics aside, I think you are wasting your time.

I personally wouldn't answer a call from an unknown number, especially from an international caller.

You can thank the actions of dodgy call-centres for my reluctance to answer the phone.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back