Dynadot

Investing for Appreciation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here's my situation: I have purchased 350 domains in the past few months on speculation of the GPS industry. Since this is still an emerging industry, my domains do not generate high volumes of traffic.

I am a rookie to the domain business and I am trying to determine what is the best way to subsidize my holding costs. I am trying Fabulous.com but their optimization does not include GPS related advertisers. Combined with low traffic, I am getting poor results. Maybe this is all I can expect?

I would like to hold onto the names for 2-5 years. In the meantime, what is the best direction for an "appreciation" investor like myself? Is investing for appreciation a wise move? Thank you for any help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You could also try some affiliate programs if you think the domains can/will generate some traffic.

As far as PPC programs go, Fabulous or Sedo might make you your fees back at least.

•••
If all your domains are directed towards one industry then just find the best affiliate for that industry or better yet create your own content. It wouldnt be hard if its just one industry. You could slap up a small info page about GPS with a for sale sign up and slap up an google adsense banner which would probably make you more then parking it then at any other place.

•••
Good question, helpful answer.

Thanks to both of you. :tu: I keep learning a little bit more about this business as I read.

.edu said:
If all your domains are directed towards one industry then just find the best affiliate for that industry or better yet create your own content. It wouldnt be hard if its just one industry. You could slap up a small info page about GPS with a for sale sign up and slap up an google adsense banner which would probably make you more then parking it then at any other place.

•••
.edu's got a great idea. however, if dont know much about putting together a page, just park at domain hop
link all your GPS names together
and set your keywords, meta tags and search terms to "GPS";)

•••
Very helpful thoughts, thank you.

Regarding the thought to slap up a quick website... Are there any Affliates or PPCs (I still am trying to understand the difference), that allow you to at least develop some content within their standard website format?

I think we can all spot a parked domain website because their is no content. Even if you could provide a small amount of useful information it seems like parked sites would get far more activity. Plus, it would make the site look much more credible. Any thoughts on this?

•••
domain hop has a news feed. if you doing your own. you can use the free CMs like mambo or phpnuke
i will pm you some details if you need

•••
Well the real problem is that your domains aren't getting any decent traffic flow. So your only money-generating option left is to develop a few. My recommendation: Develop the best one. Write a few GPS articles, put up a free newsfeed on GPS, an industry links page, and a page that lists all your other GPS domains for sale. And, like .edu said, slap on some Google AdSense banners throughout the site. Get some linkage and you're good to go. Just my 2 cents...

•••
I have taken your advice to build my own website and connect with Adsense. Now that I am close to being finished, I have a couple more questions.

Can you recommend a few low cost, but quality, places that offer hosting?

Also, once the site is up, I would like to redirect all of my domains to this new site. My second question is, should I keep these domains with fabulous.com and redirect them from there?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back