Dynadot

Inhouse vs network

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
If a company's affiliate program was offered on both their in-house platform, and through a big network like CJ, which one would you prefer?

Secondly, if a program was available on multiple networks, such as CJ, GANS, Linkshare, etc, is there any advantages one has over the other?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Inhouse vs network: Look over the terms and policies for both - they're often different. Do you expect to meet the payment threshold in the in-house plan regularly? If not, and they're on a network where you're already active, might want to go with the network.

Multiple networks - some networks are "cleaner" than others, some networks have more tracking issues than others. If they manage their program well, there shouldn't be an issue on either. If the terms are the same, go with the network where you're most active for payment/convenience purposes.

Running a program through multiple channels makes it easier for things to go wrong - accidently, deliberately or through mismanagement. Never hurts to poke around and see what kind of feedback other affiliates have on that particular program.

•••
I would more trust affiliate network rather than dealing with a particular merchant directly, especially a new one

•••
Thanks for the tips

Ok, lets say the "honesty" of an affiliate program is not in question, and it boils down to selecting a network. Is there anything that CJ does better than Linkshare or GAN or vice versa. is the stats/reporting system of one network significantly better over the other?

•••
I hate Linkshare's interface, and all tracking issues I've personally experienced have been over there. Maybe a coincidence, just sayin'.

GAN and CJ both provide free product datafeeds, if that's relevant to you. Linkshare you need to be at a certain performance level, otherwise it's a couple hundred $$$ to set up.

I like CJ's reporting better, but that may be just me, GAN is OK.

Last edited:
•••
I prefer CJ over a standalone program. Less affiliate programs to check stats on that way.

•••
I hate Linkshare's interface, and all tracking issues I've personally experienced have been over there. Maybe a coincidence, just sayin'.

One think I noticed, is that at Linkshare I need to reapply for every program for each website I have.

Whereas at CJ, I just apply for the program once no matter how many website or "channels" I have.

•••
One think I noticed, is that at Linkshare I need to reapply for every program for each website I have.

Yeah, that's a nuisance. They all report separately too. You could still group under one site, as long as your account managers don't make an issue of it.

Sometimes the way they use/manage channels doesn't even make sense. For example, I've had trouble getting access to the lead generation or click to call programs from anything except my top-level site (which is no longer very active, and often not even relevant.)

•••

Whereas at CJ, I just apply for the program once no matter how many website or "channels" I have.

This is true in general although I think I've seen a few programs which have written in their terms under CJ that they also require to approve each site separately.

A thing I've noticed is there are some advertisers which offer bigger payments via their in-house programs but also there are some offering less. It's best to check everything in regard to the particular program before making a decision.

•••
For example, I've had trouble getting access to the lead generation or click to call programs from anything except my top-level site (which is no longer very active, and often not even relevant.)

Similarly, a while back I went into my CJ and Linkshare accounts and decided to do some "cleaning" as I listed old sites of mine, some of which I don't even have the domain anymore. I tried removing or deactivating them, but unfortunately, without thinking, this also deactivated some of the affiliate programs I was a part of before. And when I tried re-applying, some of them say I don't meet the advertiser's requirements. :( I should have just left it as-is.

•••
Oops! That's when you email the aff. manager and tell them what happened. (A lot of program application decisions and replies are automated.)

If you weren't very active with their program, they may not see a reason to reinstate, but it's worth a try.

•••
Got a reply back from one saying they would push the offer directly to me, so it looks like there is indeed a way to get back into a program if you get auto-rejected. Thanks!

•••
Glad that worked out for you!

BTW, you can try the same thing if you get rejected when you initially apply for a program - email the aff. mgr and tell them why you think you can do an effective job promoting them. Doesn't always work, but if the manager isn't asleep at the wheel, your note sounds plausible and your website is halfway decent, most times they'll give you a chance.

•••
As opposed to other replies, I will always prefer an in-house affiliate system to run the affiliate program instead of affiliate networks.

Oops! That's when you email the aff. manager and tell them what happened. (A lot of program application decisions and replies are automated.)

If you weren't very active with their program, they may not see a reason to reinstate, but it's worth a try.

Somehow I have to agree with you, but not totally. I am responsible to manage my company's in-house affiliate system although I am not an affiliate manager :notme:-, but till this date I haven't received any complaint from our affiliates about delay in response. So I would suggest affiliates to try those programs as well, who are not listed in affiliate networks.

•••
Whether or not say, for Inhouse and network, I also believe the network.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back