IT.COM

.info .Info is degrading in value

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Yesterday, Pizza.info sold for €2,900 in an auction on Sedo. That’s about $3,150.
Unfortunately for the seller, he paid $6,180 to buy the domain name on Sedo in 2014.
But hey, he shouldn’t feel too bad. Pizza.info sold for $20,452 on Sedo in 2008

Source: Domain Name Wire

Well, what do you have to say about .info? Do you see any future?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

With all this new extension, I am rather convinced that .INFO will be 'just one of many choices'. It will be a great extension for it's original purpose; information websites, but not really to promote commercial products, services and businesses.

Pizza.info is a good domain for a website / portal about the history of pizza and all regional differences, but not that good for selling products or services. At least that's my opinion.

I think the value will remain low.

•••
I think if .info was released now as a new gTLD it would succeed .... but what it has already going for it is over 5 million registrations so for investors/developers this is solid security that it wont go down the tubes anytime soon.

•••
Double U, why You think that the info will do well if it was released now ? info is a sort of translation of post-it , the equivalent to info is .news, but news is better because it seems to be more dynamic.
about the 'whole' name , it can be just pizza.wiki or something like that, not commercial, if pizza.info was free i think not too many will run to register it.

•••
Not sure if pizza.info is that great name to begin with... The fact that someone paid $20k for it hoping to resell it for even more is a bit mind-boggling to me.

•••
Glad the guy was able to get at-least 50% of his investment back. I heard many people got burned with .tv and .mobi too. I personally like the extension .info (similar to .guide .tips gtlds). I would say .news comes under media category (similar to .media). I am sure .info will live as the extension is meaning-full. Extensions like .xyz, .ooo, .top will fade away. Also other than .COM and keyword.<meaning-full extension>, its very risky to buy names just for reselling purpose.

•••
Dot info was great back in the days when mini sites with AdSense were a great way to profit. Those days are over and the excitement from the new extensions has investors making other choices.

I think informational sites still have potential as lead generators. So I have been able to pick up a few nice ones in the bargin bin :)

•••
Double U, why You think that the info will do well if it was released now ? info is a sort of translation of post-it , the equivalent to info is .news, but news is better because it seems to be more dynamic.
about the 'whole' name , it can be just pizza.wiki or something like that, not commercial, if pizza.info was free i think not too many will run to register it.

I dont think .news is an equivalent to .info, info and news are not the same things

•••
I guess this is why I can't sell my dot infos.... before i received $xx offers from domainers, but now i cant sell it for $1

•••

Humans have an unquenchable thirst for information. Information itself has become a commodity and a right for most.

Although the .info extension may not please the commercial interests of many investors/domainers it still has a meaningful purpose in society (much more so than the .xyz extension)

The 'info' abbreviation is recognized in many different languages, it truly would be a pity to see its demise.

Pizza .info, I don't want info on pizza I just want to eat it and I certainly don't want any .news about it.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think that people are looking for a pizza to order not info on pizza in general. Probably not the best combo for a .info

•••
.info still suffer from an overvaluation IMO just as .net.

•••
Hello,

With all this new extension, I am rather convinced that .INFO will be 'just one of many choices'. It will be a great extension for it's original purpose; information websites, but not really to promote commercial products, services and businesses.

Pizza.info is a good domain for a website / portal about the history of pizza and all regional differences, but not that good for selling products or services. At least that's my opinion.

I think the value will remain low.
We prefer eating pizza than researching :)

•••
•••
DNJournal.com says car.info sold for $76,000 earlier this year - So how much do you think it would it have sold for 2008?

•••
IMO info will gain a new life with the new gTLD because it have meaning and it is CHEAP to be renewed
I know many people that have never heard the existence of this old TLD.
So those kind of domains have higher age than new gTld and enduser like aged domains.
On the other side, with all these new gTld i think the .info sale prices will be reduced a lot.

•••
I think the release of all these new gtlds have hurt the value of .info and I think it will continue to drive prices down. .Info was an alternative extension - 3rd or 4th choice after .com. Now with all these new options, the value will go down.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back