IT.COM

.info .info getting more popular?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i just got my first doamin and it was an info

•••
I have been thinking about buying a .info but then I thought Naa......

•••
•••
I Agree!

I gotta start buying Available 3 Character and 4 Letter .Infos :D

•••
You can win a .INFO domain name for free @ DomainBlog.net (<---shameless plug, so I won't post a live link here ;) )

D-:

AmCy

•••
GJ Online said:
I have been thinking about buying a .info but then I thought Naa......

same, never interested in them .. but since this thread .. if I see I good one i'll probably be more motovated to get it.

•••
Some of my better sales have been .info's. It's easier to sell one and two word generic .infos than 2 and three word .coms. Of course I'd like to sell one word .com's but I either got into the game too late, or don't have the capital to do them in bulk at today's pricing. I do sell .infos for $60 to $300 on a fairly frequent basis. You do have to be pretty selective in picking them though, but there shold be some hidden gems dropping the the next couple months.

•••
Toker said:
Because SEs don't recognize .infos the same way as other extensions
for some reason.

I have around 40 dot infos for sites that get tween 3000 and 300,000
uniques a day with their Dot coms..
Search Engines treat .info's
same as any other TLD . I have detected no no difference in the SE results for them as any other tld .

I have extreme confidence in the value of .info's
and will continue to reg. them on a regular basis
and would so even if at same price as .Com or .Whatever

Would we be even having this discussion if .com's had been given away for
free.
All of you who regged heaps of the free .info's and now can't afford Renewal
should not have been so greedy or should have sold them.

•••
Barefoottech said:
All of you who regged heaps of the free .info's and now can't afford Renewal
should not have been so greedy or should have sold them.

On the bright side, the .info promo was a free experiment. You got to register lots of domains and see if the sell or if they get traffic. If they didn't pan out...nothing lost, just let them drop. If you actually look at your stats, you'll see which ones are worth renewing and which aren't.

•••
A .INFO site doesn't always have as much branding potential as it's .com equivilent, and it will sometimes even lose typo traffic to the .com name. I can say with confidence, however, that search engines do not treat .INFOs any differently than any other extension. Most of my domains are .INFOs, and I often use them for SEO experimentation, since they're so cheap.

Bottom line: If you can get the .com, do. If not, .info is a great alternative. :)

•••
infos will take of for sure so its best you grab one before they are startig to get all taken

•••
.info is not getting popular becasue its nice . its increasing becasue its cheapper
not a company would prefere a .info all what they prefere is .net or .com
.info is not well spread

•••
I think there getting more common, All my friends have them.

•••
rcep said:
.info is not getting popular becasue its nice . its increasing becasue its cheapper
not a company would prefere a .info all what they prefere is .net or .com
.info is not well spread
well they are increasing as they are chaeper think abot it most people whoare new to domains will go for info if they are cheaper

•••
SomeName.info often makes more sense then someName.org .biz net .cc .ws and all those other Alternatives to .com.

I would and have purchased .info's before the price reduction at a price level of over $12Usd and often buying it instead of the same name in .com for the Same or lesser price

I will be making a lot more .info Purchases in the next year and I would still be doing it, if they were $8, not the price I am buying them for.

I find it difficult to comprehend some of the comments here by people , describing .info something akin to devil's spawn, while defending the use of expensive Subdomains or ccTLD's with no intrinsic value..

It is after all only a .gTLD ,not the personification of evil on the Earth.
If you personally don't want them ,OK ,leaves all the good ones for me.

•••
.info is getting more famous, it's just because .info more reasonable to use for personal use than getting one .net, .com or .org

•••
i used to have a .info, what do theya ctually mean?

•••
Steven12 said:
i used to have a .info, what do theya ctually mean?

.INFO actually means Implicit Names For Optimization (of keywords). :$:

•••
I read off an SEO forum which claimed that Google gave higher PR weightage to .EDU and .ORG over .COMs. Maybe .INFOs get higher weightage too? :)

•••
i am waiting i might just grab nother info is well but i do not know what to make it about or i might save up enough np$ and get one of the other ones or i might just sell my info undeveloped for real money to someone.

•••
This thread reminds me of my early domaining days almost six years ago.

After you're around for a while and have made your share of mistakes and (hopefully) learned from them, you pretty much know where things stand, not only in terms of the relative value of various tlds, but also the relevance/value of specific names in a given tld and your own portfolio. Its a constant learning process though and no one can possibly claim that he/she knows every thing about domaining.

Having sold over two dozen .info names in 3 and 4 figures, with an average selling price of over $3K/name, my impression is that for a desirable, generic keyword/phrase the value of an .info is generally somewhere between 2-10% of the identical .com name.

Its my hunch (hope) that as the Internet continues to grow, mature, and categorize there'd be an increased focus and desire to match names/websites to the most appropriate tld resulting in a much higher adaptation of newer gTLDs, with the values of desirable, generic keyword names appreciating at a faster pace than that of older tlds; one reason being that most of the desirable names in older tlds are already with end-users or otherwise out of the aftermarket. There are already signs of increasing utility of ccTLDs and the future release of highly targetted sTLDs (.travel, .XXX, .mobi, etc) with solid backing will, IMO, further strengthen this trend.

Last edited:
•••
well .info's can be a good domain if they are used for providing info.... other thant that... using an info doesn't bring reputation...

•••
lordzeus said:
well .info's can be a good domain if they are used for providing info.... other than that... using an info doesn't bring reputation...
Not sure what you mean by "reputation" but if you mean name-recognition; i.e. branding, then yes .info is generally not a good choice for branding. For branding most businesses will still find themselves with decent options in .com or their respective ccTLD...since most of the branding names are made-up, fanciful names....even if they're regged by someone, the owener would be generally willing to depart from the name at a nominal/reasonable cost since the name itself has little/no recognition before the branding campaign starts (and is successful); BTW, its a costly proposition. On the other hand, generic/descriptive terms have an inherent value by themselves....the only factor is the relativity of their value in various tlds....and as I noted above, the "reputation" of having a generic/descriptive .com name would cost one 10-50 times more (some would argue even more) than an identical name in .info.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it is getting more popular

•••
well... reputation was a bad word choice because that was not what i wanted to say... i was trying to say that not using a .info as an info site wouldn't bring credibilty(?)

i've been seeing lot of .info related to hosting companies... well.. as a regular surfer looking for host i would not think that companie as an credible company... due to my expectations of an info... and the credibility would go down more if i take in consideration that .info where offered by many registar's...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back