Dynadot

debate India is ruling the world?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I was thinking about India today and how I always see, or hear, someone making fun of their accent or the fact they have a lot of call centers. Being a Canadian I am used to having other cultures in my midst and I generally find people from India to be pleasant and courteous.

So why was I thinking of India?

I was thinking of how many top CEO's are from India, so I took it upon myself to google it and found this interesting list of the top 10 CEO's from India.
http://grabhouse.com/urbancocktail/10-outstanding-indian-ceos-ruling-world/

I think being Indian has gone from a disadvantage to a distinct advantage when it comes to landing high income positions. As more corporations like Google and Microsoft are focusing on India for growth it becomes advantageous for them to have CEO's from their target demographic. It is no secret that technology companies are wooing India and what better way to do it than to bring it home with one of their own.

I cannot do much more than make a simple observation but I can tell you that since Satya Nadella has been in charge at Microsoft the company has made a remarkable recovery from the previous missteps of Steve Ballmer.

Google and Adobe have also counted on the smarts and personality of Indians to move their company forward.

I am not of Indian decent so I cannot comment on their culture other than what I have observed from my direct interactions with them. It has always been a pleasant experience and I was left feeling impressed. We have all had a situation like when a phone call woke me up at 6 in the morning and someone with a strong Indian accent tried to scam me out of my credit card information. Crime originates from many countries and even in my home country of Canada we are trying to clamp down on phone scams originating from within our shores.

I guess what I am trying to say with this long winded comment is that I see posts where people of Indian descent are being talked down to or made fun of. I just thought I would say be careful of that because some day you may just end up working for one. They are smart and intelligent and are running some of our biggest companies.

Thank you for taking the time to read my personal thoughts.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't believe that any certain people are smarter than any other by nature. It's all due to cultural influences, upbringing and believing in education as the best way to get ahead in life. I also do believe that most Indians are hard working people and that's why you said what you said above. Keep in mind India and China constitute a quarter to third of the world's population, So even a small percentage of success will translate into massive numbers of successful people some of whom will spill over into Western corporations. So, yes overall, you can not discount any people on earth, given the right opportunity coupled with good upbringing and encouragement and most importantly education, most will shine.

•••
I agree with your statement

My main point however is that corporations are seeing the advantage of hiring Indian CEO's to appeal to their biggest growth market. It cannot be a coincidence that so many CEO's are of Indian descent. Obviously the corporation see the advantage of having someone from India at the helm when they are trying to woo that market.

My second point was that there are a lot of highly intelligent Indian people around and sometimes I see them get treated with disrespect because of the language barrier.

Hence me saying.... be careful with that.... one day the person you are making fun of may just be your future boss.

Last edited:
•••
Sure, and I'm in agreement with you as well. The Indian market will without a doubt be a major player in their future strategy for expansion into new markets similar to China and that's due to the large population that will translate into opportunities. But I don't think the main reason or even a major reason for a company like Microsoft to hire a CEO of Indian decent is to woo the Indian market. At this moment India is still a small part of their overall strategy but may get bigger as more Indians people get online. I believe, had the Indian market not been there at all they would've still hired him because he is qualified for the job and they believe he is the most qualified for it at this time, same with Google and others. But, Yes the future will only get better and brighter for India.

•••
Microsoft up 50% in india
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...revenue-shoots-up-50/articleshow/55952022.cms

Apple looks to India to be its next china
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/26/apple-india-new-china-as-iphone-sales-grow-50-percent.html

India beats US in 2016 mobile app market growth, sees most Google Play downloads
http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/IX...016-mobile-app-market-growth-sees-most-G.html

I'll bet bottom dollar Apple will be the next company to hire a high profile Indian exec

As you can see these are just a few of the articles showing India as the next big market growth. The reason is quite simple.... population and far less regulation than China.

•••
@MapleDots its time for you to buy some .in domains then :)

•••
The simple concept is that no one has monopoly on good ideas, inventions or even good tld's :) .

Couple of decades ago I remember working in the US auto industry, how many were skeptical of the Chinese auto market, Fast forward to now and China has the largest auto market by far. Its all perceptions and how they change over time.

So it wont be any surprise if India ends up having a huge eCommerce market and along with that demand for domain names whether .com or .in .

•••
I very much agree with a lot of the comments on this thread. The Indian marketplace is moving at an enormous speed right now and the data revolution in India will likely replicate or even surpass the telecommunications revolution that occurred there in the past, which in turn will open up amazing opportunities for investors. And the .IN extension is very well placed to feed off these new enormous opportunities. The time to get .IN is now! :xf.smile:

•••
I was not thinking about domains when I created the topic. I was thinking more about companies hiring top executives from India to help them maximize and harness the growth from within India. I absolutely believe it is not a coincidence that so many top executives are either from India or are of indian background.

•••
I am from India and have been here since 2005 or so. Let me give you my view.

The CEOs and the other guys who are performing well are hard working and smart Indians.

But due to our large population we do have 10 times more fools compared to the top ones. The top ones always comes into limelight and the bottom feeders are the ones who want to grab something out of nothing on other people's success. We are not talking about crimes and unemployed here. We are talking about businessmen who fall into this category. (Maybe that is why you guys do get a call at 6 AM asking about your credit card numbers along with its CVV) those are some nice examples that can be seen for Indians.

Sometimes BBC also claims that India is a rape capital of this world. But then statistics and Wikipedia shows that even with this large number of population and much smaller ratio of police/civilians we have some of the best crime figures compared to the west.

Now too much sidetalk. On .IN domain names I would say it is 10-90 not even a 50-50 chance. So maybe you are going to make some profit or else going to hold rest of them in your own hands. Believe me Indians are smart guys as said above and they will somehow manage to work their way around and not spend the money into buying a .IN version for their domain name. India is in a startup phase now and most of the startups can decide on their brand name in advance. Therefore Indians will brand it accordingly. I am not saying that .IN won't grow but it will take time. Maybe much more time compared to the .COM and in someways for me it was not practical to wait for those results.

Thanks.

•••
Thank you for all the great likes to this topic everyone. (y)(y)(y)

We had to delete the racist comment placed by someone previously but all is back to normal.

I had posted about it in chat so I got a number of PM's and I am happy to announce that most members did not share the other posters views.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back