Domain Empire

I'm impressed with selling at Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I just wanted to share my first domain name sale experience at sedo. I think people should share their positive experiences as much as their negative ones.

I sold an ordinary .info at sedo for 60 Euro. During the transaction process I was avaiting a message telling me to push the name to buyer but to my surprise first they asked my what registrar the name was registered at and there was a long list. I picked namecheap and they told me to push the name to sedo's namecheap account "sedode".

I found this a very good improvement on sedo's part. They must have asked buyer's username and they will push the name to buyers account themselves. At the end the buyer can not argue not having received the name like it has been the case many times so far in the past.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well Sedo have transit accounts with many registrars but not all of them. Also buyer may choose to transfer away to their favorite registrar or just request a push with the current registrar. Sure it is more expedient to push the name to Sedo but you won't always have a choice :)

•••
I think Sedo does a good job. I like that I have to transfer to a sedo account at the registrar. IMHO it's a shortcoming of escrow.com and a loophole for scammers.

•••
I like Sedo too. All of my transactions have always been handled very professionally, and they are they are easy to contact by phone should I get nervous.

Sedo want to quickly complete transactions for both the buyer and seller. And with the make believe rules at GODaddy, (no transfers for 60 days if the owner name or email address has changed), I am sure it has become more and more difficult.

In addition, pushing a domain into a transit account does not require an EPP code.

I like the idea, and I applaud Sedo for understanding the industry and solving a BIG problem.

( Although someone should really challenge GODaddy on their 60 day lock.)

~M

•••
In this thread there was a seller who had a problem with escrow and it was clear that there was a loophole on escrow as seen in that particular example. I had commented on that topic as well and I was nervous about a simillar possibility but sedo seems to have solved the problem.

I think with this solution sedo is a better place than escrow for selling high value domains. The only question I have in mind are chargebacks. If a person pays by CC and issues a chargeback what happens at sedo? I would expect that a chargeback is sedo's problem and not the sellers. Is this the case?

•••
I have an escrow.com transaction going on now and the buyer wanted me to approve a transfer out from Moniker to Godaddy. I told him no...I will only push within the moniker system otherwise the deal is off. If I transferred to GD and something went wrong I would be screwed.

•••
Yes, he should open a moniker account for free and then transfer himself if he wants. It won't cost him anything.

•••
SEDO equals SLOWGO

In a nutshell, 5 sedo sales (domain names I sold) took more than 30 days to receive payment once payment was made, 2 took more than 60 days, and one took a whopping 94 days!

Purchasing? Most take well over 30 days to finally be transferred to me even with their constant updates. One at this very moment was paid on November 11 and I am still waiting. Will they beat the 30 day deadline? One domain took more than 50 days. The Sedo rep told me I needed to be more patient. The same rep later told me it had been transfered. When I checked my account, no domain name. I emailed my displeasure to the rep and never heard back from her again. Finally the domain name appeared in my account about 10 days after the alleged "domain has been transferred" "transaction is complete" notice.

So, I wonder what sedo is doing with my money while they drag their feet?

Which trust account are they putting the money in with a net payout of 30 days?

Apparently there are a few people working at sedo who are clueless not only regarding domain names but also lacking any business sense whatsoever.

•••
hehe this is exactly what has happened to me.

1 domain, got an email saying it had been pushed to my account, oh really?
How come its not there then and the whois still shows sedo escrow.

Another, I am in the 5th week after purchase still waiting for the name.

circa1850 said:
In a nutshell, 5 sedo sales (domain names I sold) took more than 30 days to receive payment once payment was made, 2 took more than 60 days, and one took a whopping 94 days!

Purchasing? Most take well over 30 days to finally be transferred to me even with their constant updates. One at this very moment was paid on November 11 and I am still waiting. Will they beat the 30 day deadline? One domain took more than 50 days. The Sedo rep told me I needed to be more patient. The same rep later told me it had been transfered. When I checked my account, no domain name. I emailed my displeasure to the rep and never heard back from her again. Finally the domain name appeared in my account about 10 days after the alleged "domain has been transferred" "transaction is complete" notice.

So, I wonder what sedo is doing with my money while they drag their feet?

Which trust account are they putting the money in with a net payout of 30 days?

Apparently there are a few people working at sedo who are clueless not only regarding domain names but also lacking any business sense whatsoever.

•••
SEDO is too slow. And their Escrow process is lacking. Though they have security mesaures in place, their customer support has never impressed me, in fact, it often aggravates me. At one point during an escrow transaction, the buyer flaked and disappeared and I told the SEDO rep to cancel the trans because I wasn't getting any replies from buyer after 7 days (who promised next day payment), and SEDO told me I have to be patient and they have to give the buyer 10 days. They threatened to ban me from SEDO if I cancelled the Escrow. So I waited 10 days, email the rep to cancel and he still gave me grief, that it was their firm belief that the buyer would materialize (LOL) and told me to give him a few more days and tried to make it clear they would not cancel the Escrow. I told them to contact him on their end... or just cancel the damn transaction and they still waited several days before replying to me with the cancellation request. During the time span between the 7th-13th day while waiting for their customer service to get their head out of their collective ass, i promptly removed my domains (150+ mostly generics & premiums that they begged to list in the first place) from their system. Though I may use their service again as a last resort, I always hesitate recommending them to others... they are clearly not my first choice.

ymmv.

•••
Sedo experiences

My experience with Sedo has been generally positive. But I would echo the comments about them being terribly SLOW! But I guess that is what happens when a middleman gets involved. I don't mind paying their commissions for the service they provide but I think they need to improve their speed!

I've sold several domains through Sedo with good results. I may be experiencing an exception now though - I received a high offer for a domain which I quickly accepted. That was a couple of weeks ago and Sedo has sent me a couple of emails saying they still have not received payment from the buyer. In teh meantime I can't do anything with the domain.

In general though I would recommend them as better than anything else for buying and selling domains.

•••
Good thread...I have a question for you guys.

I am going through my first transaction with sedo now. I bought a domain with content (a regular website) with them. I paid yesterday and haven't heard anything since. My question is how does a website with content transfer work?? I am just nervous that I won't get the content with it. Thanks in advance.

•••
i think they grown to fast and cant keep up with it all they are very slow they seem to act a little quicker if you keep emailing them lol

•••
Once you accept an offer, the domain is essentially in domain limbo. Sedo pulls it out of circulation and off the books, so to speak.

In the case of my sale taking 94 days to complete, that was 94 DAYS OF NO HITS, NO CLICKS, NO KA-CHING$$$. Makes no sense whatsoever. Then again, it doesn't have to if you are in control of all aspects of the transactions.

My most recent sale? November 12th. Payment has been made by seller (to Sedo, of course), domain is with Sedo name servers, I have sent auth. codes. I am still waiting. Will they complete the transaction under the 30 day barrier?

GONNA START A NEW THREAD!!!

Guess that date, win a domain.

http://www.namepros.com/parking-and-traffic-monetization/266465-guess-the-date-win-a-domain.html

But lets not detract from this thread we are on. Keep it real, keep it cool, good vibes, good tunes right here.

Last edited:
•••
I'm in the middle of a domain sale as well and just received an autoreply from my Sedo rep saying they're experiencing a larger than anticipated amount of transfers and that as a result they're running 2-3 business days behind in replying.

I should add as a caveat, however, that in practice I've been hearing from my Sedo rep in one business day as has been the case in the past with domain sales. My point mostly is that apparently the transfer team is really swamped right now.

ripley.

•••
Sedo experience

Just got a message from Sedo that a pending sale I was making had to be canceled because they could not reach the buyer. Guess that's not their fault, and they didn't charge me. But what is their "Buyer certification" about if they can't hold buyers to their commitment?

So, anyone interested in "bookoobucks.com" I won't even mention what the offer was on Sedo!

•••
kdom said:
Just got a message from Sedo that a pending sale I was making had to be canceled because they could not reach the buyer. Guess that's not their fault, and they didn't charge me. But what is their "Buyer certification" about if they can't hold buyers to their commitment?

BINGO! :bingo:

No kidding? That has happened to me twice since the implementation of this new "certified" deal.

What's worse, one of the bogus offers has seemed to snag up their system and that domain is locked. Now every few days I get an offer submitted from Sedo for the same domain and from the same bogus bidder. Damn frustrating when you log in each and every time to view the offer and this is what you see:

There were errors processing your request:

* The account of the buyer is not available.

sr0B4578B4CB48D

Please correct your input

What the hell am I correcting?

This has been snagging up this domain since November 22nd. It is beyond annoying now. Every few days I get the GOOD NEWS email from sedo. It's blocking everything else (it's in domain "purgetory") and this is a friggin L-L.com.

Why am I complaining? Cause the numerous emails I have sent Sedo sure as heck haven't worked.

So, in case the Sedo Suits are monitoring this site, PLEASE CORRECT YOUR INPUT!

•••
seems like sedo has some bugs to fix...force the charge to the buyer and need to be more efficient/faster with transfers. Oh well, the wait continues.

•••
Sedo is a great site and love the site. Never really sold a domain there yet. Nothing but good thins aboug sedo other than the slow customer service.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back