NameSilo

I'm Brad Mugford, owner of DataCube.com. AMA

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I registered my first domain in the late 1990's, but have been an active domain investor for 15+ years now.

I am going to call this an Ask Me (Almost) Anything.
There might be some questions I am unwilling or unable to answer.

I would prefer to keep the questions related to domain investment, or business in general.

Feel free to ask general questions, or specific questions for instance regarding an appraisal of your domain.

About:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/datacubecom (I have not really used Twitter much, but plan to start using it more.)
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradmugford/

I am not sure how long I am going to leave this thread open. Let's see how it goes.

Brad

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You don't use WHOIS Privacy? Keep your contact data on WHOIS is open?
Most domains use WHOIS privacy by default, though I would not really care that much if WHOIS was public.

Some contacts are via the GoDaddy contact option in the WHOIS search.

Also, some extensions I deal in like .US don't allow WHOIS privacy.
How you decide which domain(s) to drop and which is hold on for a next year?
I drop very few anymore. I might drop around 1-2% of my domains per year.

They are generally lesser extensions, or longer tail domains with limited upside.

Brad

•••
Hi

bmugford

first of all for always replying on my questions. I again come up with questions which i like to answer from you.

* Can you believe in God or on God will because i have believe on him because i am Muslim. In my opinion all the things whether good or bad happening to us because of him and we as a human have only limited power. Do you believe on God and on his power or do you think all the achievement that you get in domain investment only because of your will power and hard work.

* What is good domain according to you like it has clean archieve history, less no of drops, no of end users etc and anything else you add to determine value of domain.

•••
Is it a coincidence that your AMA, or Ask Pros Anything, is at the same time as bill hartzer?

•••
Hi,

Whats your most preferred marketplace to sell domains for newbie

What is the average length of domain names sold (except short names) ?

How you choose domains what type of end user / industry specific?

what kind keywords one should focus if starting as a newbie to make fast sales?

What type of research you make before buying a domains?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
How find end users Amazon affiliates or other webmasters who earn on affiliate marketing?
I have no idea.

I have limited experience in the affiliate marketing field.

Brad

•••
I mean How find people who earn on affiliate because they after purchase domain, can make affiliate website on it.

I don't really understand the question.

Feel to PM me and I will try to answer it.

Brad

•••
There's a one-in-six chance of you dying?
Bull's-eye! I am five-sixths sure that my domain will be bought at a high price. Yes, there is always a small chance that I will die before the domain is bought. But I've been doing naming for many years and I know what customers might like

Last edited:
•••
Thank You for Your help Brad. Please I have a few questions.

Where do you list on. Is it only DAN and Afternic. You stated you don't do outbound much. So all your buyers come from those sites. ?
Mainly those, but they are not the only avenues that I make sales.

I often get contacted via my website, brokers, or directly from potential buyers.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
Hi: how do you deal with WayBackMachine for old domains? How many years are ok to check to avoid buying spamming or any other bad activity domain? Regards :)

•••
Hello bmugford,
I have read many of your answers to many questions and I have been able to pick one or two things but my questions are:

* What can you advice a newbie in domain business to do in order to have great portfolio and sales.

* What type of niche is it advisable for a newbie to start with.
* How should a newbie get his portfolio and what are the standard to be considered in choosing a good domain to buy as an investor.
Thanks in anticipation.

•••
Why don't you list your brandable domains on brandable domain marketplaces like BrandBucket and Squadhelp?

If you list the same domain name with BIN price on 2 or more marketplaces at the same time, what happens if a customer buys your domain on marketplace "A", then a few minutes later, another customer buys the same domain on marketplace "B"?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back