NameSilo

I'm Bill Hartzer, Director of DNProtect AMA

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm Bill Hartzer, and I am the Director of DNProtect.

I developed the algorithm behind DNP Score, which gives you a free analysis/report of any domain name.

I have also personally dealt with hundreds of stolen domain name cases since DNProtect has been offering the service the past few years.

Ask me anything related to domain name due diligence or stolen domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Should you not have a different phone number?

Google 1-(206) 826-2345.

Contact Us - Epik.com

https://www.epik.com › about › contact

Telephone: (800) 410-0728. (206) 826-2345 ... Usually, we answer support inquiries and complaints within one business day. Legendary Customer Support.

Contact Us - DNProtect​

https://dnprotect.com › legal › contact

DNPROTECT. Contact Us. DNProtect, LLC 1712 Pioneer Ave Suite 115. Cheyenne, WY 82001. Call Us at +1-(206) 826-2345. US Toll-Free (800) 410-0728

About US - DNEncrypt - The future of Domain Encryption​

https://dnencrypt.com › about-us

Worldwide: +1-(206) 826-2345 · US Toll-free: (800) 410-0728. × Close. Loading... Loading... Close Submit. Footer Logo. © 2020 DNEncrypt.

•••
For those who are not technically savvy, can you explain the DNP score in a little more detail?

For instance, Epik has a perfect score of 750/750.
https://dnprotect.com/epik.com

GoDaddy only has a 500/750 -
https://dnprotect.com/godaddy.com

Amazon.com only has 550/750 -
https://dnprotect.com/amazon.com

Can you explain the categories that are holding them back from a perfect score?

Thanks,
Brad
Epik's strategy:

Let's create rating platforms that Epik can control, to control the perception of the company with "truthful" ratings. This is for trustratings and this DNP score. But later let's say that DNProtect is not Epik.

WTF!

•••
Screenshot_20221007-001210.jpg

2020 : we are epik
2021 : they are an investor
September 2022 : be epik
October 2022 : epik !!!!!

•••
It's funny how you give GoDaddy a negative twist indirectly, but ignore all questions about Epik promoting DNProtect as their brand and being aware of that or down playing it all, anyways bro, good luck with everything.

Last edited:
•••
I started DNProtect in February 2020 as a partnership with Rob M. So 50/50 with Rob, not Epik. Ownership could change in the future.
This is confusing, because it's an Epik brand:

1664916115921.png

•••
•••
@bhartzer This isn't really a question. If it is indeed the case that you want to continue DNProtect independently and without ties to Rob or Epik, I sincerely wish you every success in doing so. It is mainly the association with Epik that causes much discussion. Now, in the past, and probably in the future.
The main issue is that if DNProtect says they are not an Epik brand, and @bhartzer says he only partnered with Rob, and then we all point out how DNProtect was indeed marketed as an Epik brand, and then he says these are mistakes, and we can't believe everything on social media etc. this creates confusion and reflects dishonesty, and now is your opportunity to be fully honest and transparent with us and delete posts that are not true on social media and anywhere else if they can't be edited.

The main concern is honesty.

•••
not responding to John's posting above

He's not going to, because it's really difficult to argue with objectively verifiable facts.

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 10.30.44 AM.png

When someone wants to hide the truth, there is a problem, and it is the same sort of runaround that one finds when looking under the hood of anything related to Epik.

So, to be clear... When Rob Monster was interested in providing some kind of "domain insurance", he mentioned that he would need a license to sell insurance through DNProtect

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...for-dnprotect-com.1156889/page-3#post-7454960

As we engage re-insurance partners and secure the requisite insurance licensing, e.g. through an acquisition of an existing insurance agency, we are spending a lot of time on risk mitigation strategy.

But he didn't do that, and went ahead and advertised that DNProtect.com, an Epik service, was selling insurance anyway.

Concerned that Epik was started yet another unlicensed financial service, I contacted the Washington State Office of Insurance Commissioner and suggested they might want to have a look into the DNProtect "domain risk solution", "warranty", "ownership protection" and other phrases they used in order to try to dance around using the word "insurance" (apparently ignorant of the fact that a warranty is a form of insurance, among other things).

Subsequent to that investigation, the site was re-configured and this appeared:

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 10.55.47 AM.png

Now, just as a general safety tip, when a business says it does not provide services to people in the place where that business is operated, that's something of a warning sign. This is where things get really weird, since the site says right on the front page they can't provide services in Washington, but then if you look at the terms of service:

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 10.58.12 AM.png

Leaving aside who those "associates" might be and why you might get into a dispute with them, the site says "DNProtect LLC" on it. It is, or was, an LLC, not a partnership, according to the site.

And where might you find this LLC if you did have a problem? According to the DNProtect website, their address is:

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.53.38 PM.png

But if you look at the corporate registration record, that's simply the address of the corporate filing service which was used to form the LLC. You'll also notice that since the corporate agent wasn't being paid either - a recurring theme - then the agent resigned and does not receive correspondence on behalf of DNProtect at that address:

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.55.22 PM.png

So, look, I don't know if DNProtect is still purporting to sell insurance or not. Hopefully not, because it was a terrible idea to proceed as if they were selling insurance without "the requisite insurance licensing" - which Rob Monster himself admitted they needed to have before the thing was even launched.

There's also nothing wrong with Bill wanting to chase down stolen domain names in exchange for a share of the resale value when the domain name is recovered. But a simple truth is that people deserve to know with whom they are doing business, and I would bet that if any of the names recovered on that basis actually do sell, then there is going to be no end of problems - not the least of which is the fact that Epik is apparently insolvent and isn't going to pay the domain owner or Bill Hartzer for that matter. Rob's unusual approach to "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too" as shown in the BC30 .com nonsense where he took possession of a customer's domain name and then put up a weird fight when they tried to get it back; his claiming to be the registrant of various customer domains in UDRP's; and the bizarre situation in which he landed with the "My Pillow" people and the Vocl domain; don't bode well for stolen domain names being held at Epik either in some sort of "partnership" with Rob, or by a defunct Wyoming mailbox LLC.

Bill's best move would simply be to get a divorce from Rob, stop the shenanigans, re-brand and take the scoring and domain recovery business as far away from that pit of madness as he can - and be honest about it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 7.12.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 7.12.13 PM.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.53.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.53.38 PM.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 98
•••
Not badmouthing any registrar in particular, just mentioned that there are stolen domain names from there. I agree with Brad that it's mostly because they have so many registrations. In fact, my contacts at GoDaddy are always very helpful when there are stolen domain names. They take it seriously, and we're able to deal with those cases.

I can't and won't respond to any questions about Epik because I'm not an employee there and have absolutely no insight into what's going on there. I'm not ignoring, I just have NO info to provide. You probably know more about it than I do, as you've most likely been reading more Namepros threads than i have.
Question was, let me repeat, were YOU aware, you nor I do not need to have any deep insight into any NamePros threads for that, but only what you were aware of... My guess is you were aware, but can't say because you will get into trouble with mr. Monster, because he is your partner after all.

•••
I'm Bill Hartzer, and I am the Director of DNProtect.

I started DNProtect in February 2020 as a partnership with Rob M. So 50/50 with Rob, not Epik. Ownership could change in the future.

Words have meanings. You are either in a partnership with Rob, in which case you are a "partner", or you are running a corporation of some kind, in which case you are a "director".

So, it has nothing to do with Epik, but.....

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.06.30 AM.png

The article linked there is about this UDRP:

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.38.00 AM.png

"Epik's DNProtect.com service"

It seems that Rob is not as clear as Bill on who owns DNProtect or whether it is part of Epik.

But that's hardly the only problem with Bill's various contradictory statements. While, absolutely, Bill has a point that there are a lot of ways to determine various sorts of "risk" with domain names, there are also ways of determining the risk of doing business with people who are not straightforward about their own company.

So, Bill is the "director" of a 50/50 partnership with Rob. And, again, a partnership is not a corporation, nor is it an LLC.

Which is where we come to the really strange part, since there is always something strange about businesses related to Epik.

DNProtect is not actually a partnership of any kind. It WAS a Wyoming LLC with a familiar Washington business address:

https://wyobiz.wyo.gov/Business/Fil...088039031002124224153158053245194148151116043

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.04.47 AM.png

But, like all things Epik, the bills weren't paid, the registered agent resigned because they weren't getting paid either, and DNProtect LLC was administratively dissolved by the State of Wyoming last month.

Wait, wait, don't tell me... the DNProtect LLC formed in Wyoming and now defunct had nothing to do with the "real" DNProtect, is that it?

•••
Claiming a profile has no effect whatsoever on a domain's DNP Score. So you can put that to rest.
Instead of just repeating what we've already discussed earlier in this thread (and at the same time not responding to John's posting above), you'd better remove the following crap from the source code of DNProtect.com:

"They may also choose to purchase a “forever registration”, which they can do at Epik.com."

See also:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...terbucks-wallet.1284050/page-129#post-8780206

Last edited:
•••
It sounds like a big part of your job involves open source research. Do you have any tools or resources you've found especially helpful when investigating the background of a domain--any hidden gems the rest of the industry might not know about?

•••
Some get to the UDRP and URS stages.

Under what circumstances would you file a URS in the event of a stolen name?

The URS does not provide for transfer of a domain name. The only available outcome in a URS is to disable the domain name for the remainder of its registration term. If you win a URS, the registry locks the name. Consequently, the registrar is unable to transfer the name. If you can satisfy the TM and other requirements of the URS under the heightened 'clear and convincing' standard, then one would clear the lower threshold for a UDRP.

I'm always happy to learn new things, and I can't for the life of me figure out why one would file a URS against a stolen name, since that would then rule out the possibility of getting the name back for the remainder of its registration term.

It would be like finding your stolen car and then slashing the tires so nobody can drive it.

•••
That's not Epik's strategy.
I "personally" created the "DNP Score" algorithm back in 2013-ish timeframe, and actually it was a manual process to calculate a score and do the due diligence. If you might remember, my previous product/service was called Verified Domains.
DNP Score is all MY 'intellectual property' and has been for years, nothing to do with Epik at all. Epik just automated my algorithm.
Epik's Marketing Strategy, not Intellectual property. Why promote DNProtect under Epik's brand? And then say it's not...

•••
This is a great tip. But assumes that you have an account rep at GoDaddy.
By the way, by far, more stolen domain name cases come from only a few registrars, GD being one of them.
GD needs to implement this, or make it option, for their customers who don't have account reps.
Well, in fairness they have as many (or more) registrations as the next 10 registrars combined.

Of course with 76+ million registrations, even at a normal rate, that total number is going to be larger than anyone else.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Tweets can't be edited, so it's not possible to correct that particular post.
But yeah, any public messaging going forward will be correct.

I agree, statements like that on social media can be confusing. I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet :)
Especially what Epik posts. You should let Rob delete the post on Twitter if editing is not possible. Why keep a post that is not true :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Bill this was an Epik product correct? Because I came up with the name and owned DNProtect.com which Rob purchased from me years ago.

Rob wrote in 2019

Great input here.
@bhartzer, @DomainGraduate, @Ala Dadan and I are meeting this afternoon to plan out the next steps for the development and commercialization.
This type of co-creation input is super helpful for refining the Minimum Viable Product and getting it live in the market. Fortunately, a lot of pre-work has been done on multiple fronts.
For those who are missing the context, see related posts:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-for-name-protection-product-concept.1155658/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/name-validation-and-name-protection-product-concept.1155026
We are also working on re-insurance partnerships beyond the normal D&O, E&O, General Liability and Cyber Liability coverage. Re-insurance is only needed for catastrophic unrecoverable loss.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-are-the-must-have-features-for-dnprotect-com.1156889/

Last edited:
•••
Bill, I'm also feeling really uncomfortable with this thread by now. I wish you well.

•••
•••
Looks like Epik stole your domain @bhartzer :)

Sorry to see them treat you like this.

•••
As a domainer, I have already been subject of targeted attacks / whole registrar accounts(!), not individual domains /. Were extremely smart combinations of technical and social engineering stuff directed on myself and the registrar support. Bill, based on your experience, what actions would you recommend to domainer to proactively protect himself? Some things are obvious - not using [email protected] email as a whois email of this exact somedomain.com for example. Other things are less obvious, but are still important...

Another question - you mentioned UDRP, but how relevant is UDRP if the domain is simply stolen? Does it mean that it was regged in bad faith? Are there already decided UDRP cases where Dnprotect represented the Complainant for stolen domains?
There are inevitably going to be domains that are targeted more frequently than others, mainly because they're valuable. My best recommendation is that you should develop a strong relationship with your registrar so they know you--and if there is a targeted attack they can deal with it, let you know, or reach out to you. There are some registrars that are more secure than others, but at the end of the day if you have a relationship with someone at your registrar then if there is an issue that can be the first line of defense so to speak.

The majority of the stolen domain name cases we can resolve without having to resort to filing a UDRP or URS. And we have resolved them without doing so. But if you want to point to a case in particular, it's the UDRP for Patterns(.com). There were a lot of P-type domains stolen by one particular individual around the same time from Network Solutions. We identified that Patterns was stolen based on our forensic domain research at the time. I notified the owner of the domain, who didn't actually know it was stolen. After some convincing, and several phone calls later, we were on a path to recovering the domain. Account was accessed without permission at Network Solutions, domain transferred out to BizCN who was absolutely uncooperative, so we had to file the UDRP. What helped there was the company was using the domain for a website for quite a long time, and they were able to claim a common law trademark, along with the evidence that the domain was acquired by the current registrant under false pretenses (stealing the domain).

•••
My surname dot com (hartzer dot com) is now providing some of the services that DNProtect used to provide.
One thing you can add to the algorithm is a check for the registrar where the domain is registered and hosted. If the registrar has a bad reputation, like Epik has at the moment, your domain may be in danger.

1673323625596.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back