Domain Empire

ID Protect - does it ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have ID protect from eNom on some names and recently got an email from a legal firm asking to disclose the actual owner information of the domain name as they say it infinges on their clients trade mark.

I have replied to the legal firm asking what they want only to once again get an email asking to disclose the true whois infomration for the name

The name is pretty generic and is not a trademark with US or Canadian authorities. It appears they did register the same name with a different extension the year prior to our registration. The name is over a year old with us as owner.

Should we disclose the actual whois information or wait until a judge order to do so?
Will enom reveal the true whois information based on a legal firms letter request or will they do it on a judges order (I would assume this would be the case)?

Not really an important name for us to keep and we would hand over if it did infringe on their trademark without question.... but there is no trademark anywhere on it...

Comments?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I also would like to know if enom or godaddy reveal private whois info by legal request or judges order only.

•••
Why don't you READ their terms of service for ID protect? It says exactly what they will do under what circumstances.

•••
jberryhill said:
Why don't you READ their terms of service for ID protect? It says exactly what they will do under what circumstances.

Good idea ;)

http://www.enom.com/terms/idprotect_agreement.asp

"You will remain responsible to resolve any and all monetary or other legal claims that arise in connection with Your IDP Domain(s)"

and

"In the event You do not respond to communications from the Backend Service Provider regarding communications received at the IDP Address, Backend Service Provider may immediately reveal the information You provided pursuant to section 2 and/or cancel the IDP Services regarding either the IDP Domain in question or with respect to all of Your IDP Domains, depending on the circumstances. This means the Whois directory will revert to displaying Your name, postal address, email address and phone number. This action would be taken because Backend Service Provider will not become involved in any legal or other matters between You and third parties"

•••
Pretty amazing what happens when you RTFM.

•••
jberryhill said:
Pretty amazing what happens when you RTFM.
That is what life is all about...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back