IT.COM

domain I own namecheap.ca, what should I do with it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently registered this domain and was very surprised that it was available. I was hoping for some suggestions as to what I could do with the domain. I suppose an option is to try and sell to NameCheap but if they didn't have it already maybe they didn't want it. Please share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've typed that into my browser more than once. How long ago did you get it and how much traffic does it get?

•••
ekofive said:
I recently registered this domain and was very surprised that it was available. I was hoping for some suggestions as to what I could do with the domain. I suppose an option is to try and sell to NameCheap but if they didn't have it already maybe they didn't want it. Please share your thoughts.

I guess id just give it to them :)

•••
Whitebark I have not had it for long at all (aka since yesterday), not long enough to give you any stats but I am sure there will be lots of type ins especially for those looking for .ca domains from them. Mellowmasher, lol you are funny.

•••
•••
yeah, i think they'll probably come after you for TM violation...

•••
They are not a registered trademark in Canada so you are incorrect in your assumptions.

•••
They don't need to be registered in Canada. It is enough if they are registered in any country in the World since this name is not generic enough.
Your problem is that you have registered the name in bad faith. This is called cybersquatting.

All they have to do is to report you to WIPO.

http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en

•••
MarcelProust said:
They don't need to be registered in Canada. It is enough if they are registered in any country in the World since this name is not generic enough.
Your problem is that you have registered the name in bad faith. This is called cybersquatting.

All they have to do is to report you to WIPO.

http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en
not generic enough? namecheap looks generic enough to me ...
the org/info/us extension have been registered also, but it maybe is wiser to avoid the troubles :)
see how the traffic is working out and then decide. i would however avoid to contact namecheap and try to sell it to them. if you are contacting them, follow the advise of mellowmasher :D

•••
ekofive said:
They are not a registered trademark in Canada so you are incorrect in your assumptions.

Maybe you should stroll through the legal forum before coming to such conclusions. I'd be happy to educate you in TM law. If you contact them to sell it, thats instant bad faith. If you use it for anything related to domain names, you're in the same boat. A name doesn't have to be registered for it to be a valid TM, they just have to be able to show it was used in commerce prior to your registration.

•••
Thank you all for your advice. As the title of my post states, I am asking for your thoughts on it and did not say I am planning to contact them to sell, I was just asking if that was an option. In response to the legal aspects I am not well educated on the topic however I would imagine they would have a hard time doing anything if I did not open a domain registry on the site, which is not what I am planning to do. Anyways thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

•••
Most companies will go after you if you do one of the following.

* Try to sell it too them. Best just to give it too them as you are trying to make profit off the domain.
* Park it and try and sell it, just stupid they will claim the domain as there trademark and you lost it totally now.
* Setup a .ca domain registrar. Now that is just stupid.

They are very well captable of sueing you and if you wish for them to do so ask them to pay for there trademark. Best just to email them and say you didn't relise it was a trademark and want to sell it for the costs it cost you to register it. You don't lose anything, nor gain anything. But it keeps you out of losing lots to lawyer fees.

Good luck and choose your fate wisly ;)

- Steve

•••
I can appreciate what your saying, but there is a small problem with that. What else would you use this name for? NameCheap? I dont see many possibilities besides something involving domain names... Maybe a book of baby names your selling for cheap? Beyond that, this name is a loser. Sorry! Good luck regardless.

•••
I understand what you are all trying to get across, but lots of .ca domains are in this scenario. For example partypoker.ca is an affiliate link to party poker, no lawsuit there. I wish that namecheap had an affiliate program. That being said we will see what happens if anything, if they have a problem with it i am sure they will contact me. Thanks again for the comments.

•••
On the note of uses; perhaps a site dedicated to changing your name for a small amount of money?

i.e. Get a new NameCheap :hehe:

•••
ekofive said:

You shouldn't have been surprised, it was available for a reason. Other members have tried to tell you why above. If Google.ca was available, you would be surprised even more, and reg it too?

My question is why would you reg NameCheap.ca anyway, what were your intentions with it?

Either way, good luck.
Frank

•••
Are you kidding me? Any member in this forum would register google.ca if it was available without hesitation.

•••
ekofive said:
....but lots of .ca domains are in this scenario...
Yes, but it's not exclusive to .CA domains. Every extension is in this scenario. That being said, trademarks are a topic that can get pretty deep, so it's best to consult a legal expert before proceeding, if you really have serious plans with the name.

•••
Over 10 years have past! Anyone know what happened?
Currently NameCheap.ca points at NameCheap.com
but this change is more recent that this thread.
I wonder what occurred.
Did it drop in that time?

•••
•••
That doesn't tell much of a story.
Do I gather correctly that it dropped at least once?

Last edited:
•••
•••
A violation of trademark in 2006. Now, rightly owned by NameCheap. Decided to dig into the first appraisal post, out of curiosity. Funny what happens

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back