Dynadot

discuss I got a Lawyer Notice - Share your views

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi Peers I like to share some details of the Legal Notice and my reply and finally how it was solved.
(Now the issue is solved)

I got this letter after I sent an outbound to the company for domain for sale

Please share your views on the same & even think and tell what will be your response if you were in my shoes.

Please post if you don't need this true story

The domain name was XXXXXLoan.com (actual first 5 letters of the name is replaced with XXXXX )

______________Part ONE_____________

Lawyer Notice Received

Sent in Letter Law Firm Head

DIRECT: Phone #

RE: Your XXXXX Domain Name

Our Reference No........

To Whom It May Concern,

I am Senior Counsel responsible for brand protection for XXXXX Franchising, LLC. I am writing concerning your registration and use of the domain name XXXXXLoan.com.

As you likely are aware, XXXXX Franchising, LLC is a franchisor that operates in the mortgage brokerage industry. XXXXX Mortgage franchisees offer high quality mortgage brokerage services, including the processing, originating, and solicitation of residential mortgage loan applications for consumers purchasing a residence or refinancing an existing residential mortgage. XXXXX Franchising, LLC owns several United States trademark registrations for XXXXX, including registration numbers yyyy, yy.yy.yyy; and y,yy,yyy.

The Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (β€œUDRP”), which you agreed to as part of your registration agreement for this domain, and the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (β€œACPA”) prohibit the bad faith registration and use of a domain name that is identical or confusingly similar to a protected trademark. The ACPA provides not only for an order transferring the domain name, but also an award of statutory damages of up to $100,000 per domain, plus attorney’s fees. The ACPA and UDRP both explicitly provide that it constitutes bad faith to register a domain for the purpose of selling it to the trademark owner for more than your out-of-pocket costs for the domain.

Although you have never had any affiliation or connection with XXXXX Franchising, LLC or the XXXXX Mortgage network of franchisees and loan officers, you have registered a domain containing the XXXXX trademark in its entirety combined with a mortgage industry-related term, β€œloan.” This combination of terms illustrates your actual knowledge of XXXXX Franchising and its services. In addition, on June 19, 2018, the domain administrator for XXXXX Franchising received an offer for the sale of XXXXXloan.comβ€”the site for which offers the domain for €4,999.00. Furthermore, we are aware that you were the Respondent in a 2010 UDRP proceeding regarding your registration and use of several wwwww-related domains (e.g. wwwbookpro.com, wwwwwcheap.com). Your pattern and practice of registering domains containing the trademarks of others combined with your registration and offer for sale of XXXXXloan.com can only be construed as evidence of bad faith pursuant to the UDRP and ACPA.

As a result, XXXXX Franchising, LLC hereby requests that you: a) cease use of the domain XXXXXloan.com and promptly transfer it, and any other domain that you own that includes the term β€œXXXXX,” to XXXXX Franchising, LLC; b) confirm you will desist from registering any name including the term β€œXXXXX” in the future; and c) remove any reference to XXXXX or XXXXX MORTGAGE from any web site you own or control.

Please contact me to arrange for the details of transfer. XXXXX Franchising, LLC reserves the right to take legal action, including potentially a suit for injunctive relief and damages under the ACPA and/or a proceeding pursuant to the UDRP. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Very truly yours,

First Name Last Name

Law Firm Seal & Sign

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Corporate attorneys don't write to people this way, this message is fake

Are you saying that the OP faked it (ie. he got the text from somewhere else and just changed some bits here and there) or that the original email comes from a fake source?

It would help the community if you could elaborate.

thanks

•••
Tell the lawyer to tell their client to pay for the name if they want it.. tell the lawyer do not contact you again and to fuck off, i have had to the same thing in the past.

Last edited:
•••
since the complainant were silence why not you keep the domain? the parking revenue were more than enough for paying renewal and still give you around $100 passive income per year
Are you saying that the OP faked it (ie. he got the text from somewhere else and just changed some bits here and there) or that the original email comes from a fake source?

It would help the community if you could elaborate.

thanks

I am ready to Send the letter received from legal firm and screenshots to mods if required.

Also my reply to the letter is copied to his client as well

Last edited:
•••
I am ready to Send the letter received from legal firm and screenshots to mods if required.

Also my reply to the letter is copied to his client as well

Good deal, if the client is not interested in purchasing your name for cash, all this is simply wasting your time, if they want to file a UDRP that is their prerogative, so essentially what is happening is, the client wants your domain name and is trying use scare tactics to get it, with that said, send a mail to the lawyer with a cc to the client stating they can both fuck off.

•••
Corporate attorneys don't write to people this way, this message is fake

The letter posted in the OP sounds like a run-of-the-mill domain threat.

As far as the comment above about email goes, there are no particular rules about how a lawyer might choose to send someone a threat.

In fact, it’s easy enough to confirm that the only company with β€œFranchising” in its name which owns several US registrations for mortgage services is Motto Franchising, and the trademarked term is β€œMOTTO”. I don’t understand the point of X’ing it out while providing sufficient information to uniquely identify it.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back