Dynadot

opinion I don't think we should be selling decent names at the moment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
That sounds like heresy on this board, so I'd better expand on my statement.

We are entering a period of massive change in the world. Events such as Brexit, the US election, the rise of Gold, the failure of DeutscheBank, migration, terrorism, The attermpts to enforce globalisation, the collapse of the toxic debt mountain and many others, mean that the quest for information has never been more important, The Internet is one of the best and most important places for discovering this information. I believe that now is the time to build sites to explore this potential, and use the revenue from associated monetisation to expand my investment in suitable domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I tend to agree with a lot of the OP.

In addition I feel as time goes by and auctions for good quality .coms get more and more competitive if you think you have any skills and abilities to build out the domains into revenue generating sites then that is certainly a good way to go IMO.

I track the traffic for the domains I own and some get solid type in traffic (one example is watchonline dot tv but there are plenty others in different niches). If you build the domain out and have some sites getting traffic, some revenue which no Google update can take away, in not too long you could have a decent recurring revenue stream with limited financial and time investment. Obviously the better your skills + the more time and effort/ marketing you put in the better the results!

Last edited:
•••
While quite an interesting and intriguing commentary, I'll toss out that IMO not everyone has the time, skills, and inclination to develop and build - out their domains.

In our early domain days we built - out a number of sites to allow the free flow of topical information
( written and visual) forgoing some name sales and forgoing monetization revenues - always ad free!

Today, years later, my general preference would be to allow an end-user to purchase and develop select names of my holdings and pursue their respective website developments.

Heresy, no, interesting discussion topic, yes!

•••
While quite an interesting and intriguing commentary, I'll toss out that IMO not everyone has the time, skills, and inclination to develop and build - out their domains.

In our early domain days we built - out a number of sites to allow the free flow of topical information
( written and visual) forgoing some name sales and forgoing monetization revenues - always ad free!

Today, years later, my general preference would be to allow an end-user to purchase and develop select names of my holdings and pursue their respective website developments.

Heresy, no, interesting discussion topic, yes!

I just feel that due to my post above more and more it is all about adding value proposition to end users/developers interested in buying. If you have a solid domain with type in traffic built up and earning as well then someone wanting to buy that name now have a web property to go with it and stats to go on which increases the value significantly. Definitely not for everyone but I think a good way to go.

•••
So what, in your opinion, are "decent" and "suitable" domains? What kind of informational sites would you be developing?

•••
So what, in your opinion, are "decent" and "suitable" domains? What kind of informational sites would you be developing?

Well that is the question - I guess the trivial answer is "One that will make you loads of money now or in the future". So how do you know that? I tend to go with my own feelings based on traffic, search metrics and my ideas about the economy and the future, and a bit of sentimntality. People have different ideas, but one basic consideration is that the name should make sense, or be brandable, I remember discussing a name on an adult board. The guy had reg'd a 6 letter name ending in "pod" and the first word started with "S". Everybody was rude about it, and then the iPod appeared, and then everybody thought it was wonderful. So there is an element of luck involved - the Vivo name is another example.

•••
With regard to the site - I think it rather depends on the name, and you can be a bit creative. I picked up DVDgems.com a while ago, and I thought that would be good to list second hand DVDs for sale. The idea is not to sell the DVDs, because that is a bit labour intensive, I want to create a format where I can list and describe the DVDs and link to various sites ( including my own), and add some advertising.

My xyz1.com auction site is really a glorified top list to build traffic for my mini-sites. However, it does give the potential to sell names if the right offer comes along.

Of course blogs are the simple and obvious choice for most names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back