Domain Empire

question I created a brandable business concept. Bought the domain of every product name.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Djshaitown

Established Member
Impact
What is it called when you have an idea for a Brandable business concept and brand, you create a logo, you know all the products it will probably sell... you buy every products Brandable product domain name. Before you know it, you have 100 domain names Including for example... CompanyX.com, BuyCompanyX.com, SellCompanyX.com, CompanyXShoes.com, CompanyX.hats.com, CompanyXStore.com, CompanyXJobs.com, CompanyXInventions.com, Etc., Etc., Etc,. A potential buyer loves the brand name, idea/concept, and the fact that you purchased a page for every product. They want to buy all of the domains, the logo you created and start a company with the idea. If I did that... what is the EXACT Term for what I actually did ? (Creating a brandable idea/concept, buying domain names for products that haven't been created yet/don't actually exist, creating a logo,.... and then selling it all)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe that is called putting all of your eggs in one basket.

•••
I think it is called 'the blind leading the blind'.

•••
Not sure I fully understand what you mean?

•••
•••
Seriously guys... ? Why post a smartass reply to a serious question? If I told you the buyer offered me 250k dollars, everything was verified, both sides agreed to terms, lawyers finished the paperwork and I made the sale. Would it still be a joke to you, just curious. I asked a simple question that was hard for me to define. It was a serious question that I hoped business professionals that use a company like NamePros could answer.

Last edited:
•••
It is called defensive registrations for brand protection.

•••
•••
Seriously guys... ? Why post a smartass reply to a serious question? If I told you the buyer offered me 250k dollars, everything was verified, both sides agreed to terms, lawyers finished the paperwork and I made the sale. Would it still be a joke to you, just curious. I asked a simple question that was hard for me to define. It was a serious question that I hoped business professionals that use a company like NamePros could answer.

I'm not even sure it's been done before. The way your question presented itself, there is a definite term for what you describe but couldn't remember what it was.

My answer, I think, was not off-base. Who on earth would ever register 100's of domains for each hypothetical product for an imaginary brand in the hopes that one day the gods will put on earth an end-user who not only loves the brand name, but also has exactly the line of products that match every (unnecessary) separate domain name dedicated to each product?

If you have somehow accomplished this, then you are already a pioneer who didn't need any help defining the trail you have blazed.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not even sure it's been done before. The way your question presented itself, there is a definite term for what you describe but couldn't remember what it was.
My answer, I think, was not off-base. Who on earth would ever register 100's of domains for each hypothetical product for an imaginary brand in the hopes that one day the gods will put on earth an end-user who not only loves the brand name, but also has exactly the line of products that match every (unnecessary) separate domain name dedicated to each product.

If you have somehow accomplished this, then you are already a pioneer who didn't need any help defining the trail you have blazed.
Thank you, I really appreciate your response. Truly, thank you.

•••
What is it called when you have an idea for a Brandable business concept and brand, you create a logo, you know all the products it will probably sell... you buy every products Brandable product domain name. Before you know it, you have 100 domain names Including for example... CompanyX.com, BuyCompanyX.com, SellCompanyX.com, CompanyXShoes.com, CompanyX.hats.com, CompanyXStore.com, CompanyXJobs.com, CompanyXInventions.com, Etc., Etc., Etc,. A potential buyer loves the brand name, idea/concept, and the fact that you purchased a page for every product. They want to buy all of the domains, the logo you created and start a company with the idea. If I did that... what is the EXACT Term for what I actually did ? (Creating a brandable idea/concept, buying domain names for products that haven't been created yet/don't actually exist, creating a logo,.... and then selling it all)

Its a good idea but an experienced business owner/domainer would just do it this way....

CompanyX.com

Subdomains

Product1.CompanyX.com
Product2.CompanyX.com

Or simple Folders

CompanyX.com/Product1
CompanyX.com/Product2

I use the subdomains for one of my businesses and it works great with no additional domain purchases required.

Your version makes a lot of sense if you advertise every item separately and launch a sales site per item. However even then I would prefer Product1.CompanyX.com because I would want the potential client to visit my main domain to see my other products.

I hope I explained that ok

•••
If you just want to create a brand, you only would need to purchase a single brandable domain. Then, you host it and create a mock website and build your mock products line on sub-domains. You could call it 'brand envisioning' or 'brand authoring'. Just a thought...

•••
Its a good idea but an experienced business owner/domainer would just do it this way....

CompanyX.com

Subdomains

Product1.CompanyX.com
Product2.CompanyX.com

Or simple Folders

CompanyX.com/Product1
CompanyX.com/Product2

I use the subdomains for one of my businesses and it works great with no additional domain purchases required.

Your version makes a lot of sense if you advertise every item separately and launch a sales site per item. However even then I would prefer Product1.CompanyX.com because I would want the potential client to visit my main domain to see my other products.

I hope I explained that ok
Thank you Maple Dots! I appreciate your response!

•••
(Turnkey) Online Brand Identity?

•••
If you just want to create a brand, you only would need to purchase a single brandable domain. Then, you host it and create a mock website and build your mock products line on sub-domains. You could call it 'brand envisioning' or 'brand authoring'. Just a thought...
Absolutely agree, thank you Wayne!

•••
•••
It is called defensive registrations for brand protection.
@Djshaitown if I understand your original posting! Reminds me of real estate..you bought your land that you want to develope and all nearby land.

"Cornering the market" and "eliminating the competition"

Last edited:
•••
@Djshaitown if I understand your original posting! Reminds me of real estate..you bought your land that you want to develope and all nearby land.

"Cornering the market" and "eliminating the competition"
Hello briguy, thank you for your response. Your response made me think about something. What is your personal opinion on the morality of what I did? I mean, in your personal opinion is what I did morally wrong/illegal, or just good business. If you don't feel comfortable answering, I will completely understand, no worries.

•••
@Djshaitown , from what I read so far, I seen nothing morally wrong or illegal...just business! Kinda of thinking "outside the box" ..

•••
@Djshaitown , from what I read so far, I seen nothing morally wrong or illegal...just business! Kinda of thinking "outside the box" ..
Thank you so much briguy, can't thank you enough.

•••
I would refer to it as a portfolio. For instance, I would say you have a "BrandX portfolio with 100 BrandX related domains, including logos and websites, etc."

•••
I would refer to it as a portfolio. For instance, I would say you have a "BrandX portfolio with 100 BrandX related domains, including logos and websites, etc."
Thank You RJ, I appreciate your reply!

•••
It could be referred to a number of things; gallery, showroom, catalog, brochure, proposal, album, exhibition, production, pitch, overture, staging, actualization, feature, inception, exhibit...

•••
•••
It's called "learning."

You are most definitely going to learn something in the process.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back