Dynadot

Hy-phened Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainerRezoan

Account Closed
Impact
I saw lots of people are hating Hy-phened domain names. I was interested to find something and I saw search-results.com is in Alexa 182 from USA and 149 Globally. So how much traffic everyday it's getting. I'm not gonna tell much as I'm newbie in domaining and also I'm a lifetime student not a professor for a single moment. I learn always. From here I have learnt if you get a popular site then it's never fact how's your domain name to look. I'm not telling that exact match names or one word names are bad by any mean. It's also should be thought that's potential of a domain name. Is that possible to reach #1 in Alexa rank with a domain which is not search.com (precious 1 word) or searchengine.com (exact match generic). It's a domain which had no meaning "Google" but now it's a dictionary word. Yes it's just brand name of a company who provides search engine service in World Wide Web. No that's not just the finish it's now the brain of the world. Ruling the world alone. Has exactly no competitor in this moment.

I saw this quote in this forum sorry to say just forgot who told this (probably in his/her signature) - Register less, Develop more.

I also want to tell this if we develop sites we may provide something to the World Wide Web and as People are the user so might be someone gets help from our developed website.

I have told all these to them who are telling or feeling "I won't even pay $0.01 for a Hy-phened.COM"

Again I'm newbie sorry to all professors and experts of domaining industry. If I told anything wrong.

"Someone just got angry with me when I show him few exact match Hy-phened domains but I'm over sure that he don't even dream to have his/her website with any type of domain at less than 10000 Alexa rank" BUT I HAVE SUCH DREAM I WANNA DO SOMETHING. WANNA GIVE SOMETHING TO BELOVED WWW..."

Helpful comments are welcomed and thanks in advance for descriptive helpful discussion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hy-phened Domains are great if the keywords are rich. Don't let anyone tell you what to do or what you want to achieve in life.:tu: If you have a goal go for it.
As one successful person said the ones who put down a persons dream is only due to the failure of that person(s) attempt. How successful are the naysayers? You should follow only the ones who have an ambition and a desire for success and those who are successful.;)

•••
I don't see any difference in google indexing between hyphened and non-hyphened domains, it's more a thing of customers/visitors remembering the hyphen, that sort of thing.

If you can get hyphened domains which are great keywords then you should take it.

•••
Sure, you can rank on a Google search with a hyphenated domain name if you develop it well. But it's unlikely that it will ever become a popular or highly trafficked website. People just don't remember hyphens, and if your site is best-life-insurance.com, people are more likely to type in bestlifeinsurance.com and end up at someone else's site. If they end up at your website by clicking an ad, they'll forget the hyphens next time and end up somewhere else.

•••
•••
Sure, you can rank on a Google search with a hyphenated domain name if you develop it well. But it's unlikely that it will ever become a popular or highly trafficked website. People just don't remember hyphens, and if your site is best-life-insurance.com, people are more likely to type in bestlifeinsurance.com and end up at someone else's site. If they end up at your website by clicking an ad, they'll forget the hyphens next time and end up somewhere else.

Today most internet users don't remember web addresses or URLs it's not my opinion it's a research result I saw few months ago. So if any site is in some specific position from where it gets traffic then it's rare case that it will lose traffic to it's non hyphened domain. Though many times I remember site addresses but if I remember a hyphened domain and later I go to the non hyphened one and I see this is not that site which I saw last time then I try to open the previous one from bookmarks or history or I try to name it by hyphening the domain or I remember then from where I found that site. If the site remains on my source I go there again.

One more thing I want to say that at least in Google's view k-e-y-w-o-r-d.com won't mean keyword but key-word.com will mean. Really it is...

•••
I don't see any difference in google indexing between hyphened and non-hyphened domains, it's more a thing of customers/visitors remembering the hyphen, that sort of thing.

If you can get hyphened domains which are great keywords then you should take it.

That's how I feel. I am in the process of developing a couple of geo domain names long term as a business and project all themselves. I am acquiring without the hyphen for the people that live and visit because they would not type in the hyphen or would think too. I would also lose business to the non-hyphen equivalent.

That is another topic as well of which I am sure has been discussed countless times. But there is that fear, and rightly so that if you own the hyphenated, you will lose a substantial amount of traffic to the non-hyphenated. Of course if your site is ranking a head in Google and gets most of its traffic through Google it really does not matter that much.

Best of luck. Buy what you like. And I do agree with that persons sig; buy less, develop more. Not because it is making me rich, but because it keeps me more focused, thoughtful and dedicated to the work I do. Long term I have some great projects.

•••
I also dislike to hyphens in on word name. It's true that Google won't see it as w-o-r-d.com hyphens are good between (2-3 words) keywords EXACT matches only as key-word.com

•••
Basically in my own personal findings there is no difference in Google ranking hyphen domain names or non-hyphen domain names. However, if you are not planning on developing the domain name it's harder to sell a hyphen undeveloped domain name. So yes, go for it only if you plan on developing then maybe selling. Otherwise it's going to be harder to sell just the name.

•••
Basically in my own personal findings there is no difference in Google ranking hyphen domain names or non-hyphen domain names. However, if you are not planning on developing the domain name it's harder to sell a hyphen undeveloped domain name. So yes, go for it only if you plan on developing then maybe selling. Otherwise it's going to be harder to sell just the name.

That sums it up pretty well. Without dev, the hyphen domain name is not going to have the value of the non hyphen version.

•••
So finally we should decide to "Register Less & Develop More"

This discussion should help newbies a lot I think...

•••
Generally hyphen domains are avoided because they look spammy. If you are making an MFA site, and targetting specific keywords go for it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back