IT.COM

discuss Huge Jump in 5N.com Prices?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

clarkemarketing

Top Member
Impact
Woke up today to see one of my NNNNN .com domains sold at a BIN price that was about 5x what such names have been recently selling for at auction (and buyer has paid so it's a legit sale).

Surprised by the sale, I looked at ShortNames to see if auction prices had changed recently and I noticed several big sales from this past weekend:

61599.com - $6,888
97789.com - $11,000
21200.com - $4,350
55198.com - $2,800
81558.com - $4,050

This is about triple what the equivalent domains would have sold for a few months ago. Numbered domains dropped in price a lot this year, I'm wondering if this is the start of price movement in the other direction. Wishful thinking perhaps, but it definitely looks promising... we'll have a better idea in a few weeks if these prices are the new normal.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Irony? Let’s play a game.

See if you’ll recall any of these N.com tomorro

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Irony? Let’s play a game.

See if you’ll recall any of these N.com tomorro

Samer
hahaha.
SO those who invest in NNNNs
You buy random numbers if it is below a certain price or what?
How do you make buy decisions?

•••
Congrats on the sale though.

If you have been tracking, Ns, do 6 letter also follow if there is a upswing in 5 letters? Like in the stock market/crypto etc?

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on the sale though.

If you have been tracking, Ns, do 6 letter also follow if there is a upswing in 5 letters? Like in the stock market/crypto etc?

It's definitely speculative like the stock market! 4N.com, 5N.com, and 6N.com all move in sync, so if 5N goes up the others likely will as well! Personally, I find # domains very profitable as it's pure pattern recognition and patience and if you buy at the right price you're laughing as long as your realistic about ROI (you're not going to sell a numbered domain for 20x what you paid the way you can a keyword domain).

•••
It's definitely speculative like the stock market! 4N.com, 5N.com, and 6N.com all move in sync, so if 5N goes up the others likely will as well! Personally, I find # domains very profitable as it's pure pattern recognition and patience and if you buy at the right price you're laughing as long as your realistic about ROI (you're not going to sell a numbered domain for 20x what you paid the way you can a keyword domain).
Other then starting from scratch and studying the past sales data, is there is blog post or something like a podcast that explains the types of patterns. I only know that 8s sell :)

Last edited:
•••
All speculative assets are flying up, crypto, stocks, precious metals and even domains. If we had a fraction of the skills people in those other markets have we would have million dollar domain sales every hour. Of all industries I know, no one does less marketing and pitching / hyping than domainers.

•••
There is definitely blog posts about it as well as threads on here if you search for them. In my opinion, your best guide is studying the sales data tho. If you look at ShortNames.com and see that almost every 6N .com that starts with 3 repeating numbers sells at auction for more than $100... you know that buying one for less than $100 is likely a good deal. If you then bid $90 on every such auction... you'll get outbid over and over again but maybe you happen to win your 17th such auction and you'll snag a name for $85 that typically sells to domainers for double that price and that an end user might pay $500 for. If you don't want to put any work in, you can also just focus on trying to buy below the typically "floor price". For example: in the past few years more than 99% of 5N .com domains have sold for more than $200. Consequently, if you are able to buy one for less than $200, regardless of pattern, it's likely a pretty good deal.

Numbered domains are liquid too... so if you ever need fast cash you can typically sell them off pretty easily for close to what you paid as long as you are buying them at good prices. Lastly, as @AEProgram mentions speculative assets have been going through the roof in 2020. Governments are printing trillions of dollars (trillion = a million million which is insane) so how can you not expect these to go up when every other asset class is skyrocketing? I try to keep about 10% of my domain portfolio as # domains and about 5% as number-letter mixed (LLNN.com, LNNN.com, NNNL.com, etc.)

•••
I've been buying as many 4,5 or 6 number dot coms as i can get for a reasonable price.
Maybe that's why they're going back up.

•••
I've been buying as many 4,5 or 6 number dot coms as i can get for a reasonable price.
Maybe that's why they're going back up.

Same! Look how quiet the Numeric Domain Discussion section of NamePros has been lately... # domains are out of style at the moment and consequently this year has been the perfect time to buy in my opinion. Prices are about 10-20% what they were at 2015/2016 peak. It's like Bitcoin, when prices go way up the crowd buys... but the smart people buy when the crowd thinks it's a dumb investment and sell during the hype.

Last edited:
•••
I had some great 5N .com sales in the last few weeks:

69965.com for $3995 at GoDaddy (paid $646 at GD Auctions in May)
56112.com for $2895 at DAN (paid $811 at GD Auctions in Feb)
10667.com for $1395 at GoDaddy (paid $436 at GD Auctions in Aug 2019)

Chinese stock market is up 30% since July and it seems # domains are becoming hot once again. Anyone have any predictions for auction prices over the next few months? I expect floor price of 5N with 4 will increase from $170 to $220 and floor price of 5N with no 4 or 0 will increase from $550 to $700.

•••
I had some great 5N .com sales in the last few weeks:

69965.com for $3995 at GoDaddy (paid $646 at GD Auctions in May)
56112.com for $2895 at DAN (paid $811 at GD Auctions in Feb)
10667.com for $1395 at GoDaddy (paid $436 at GD Auctions in Aug 2019)

Chinese stock market is up 30% since July and it seems # domains are becoming hot once again. Anyone have any predictions for auction prices over the next few months? I expect floor price of 5N with 4 will increase from $170 to $220 and floor price of 5N with no 4 or 0 will increase from $550 to $700.
Excellent man...
But if NNNNN are mostly bought by investors, I would assume floor price to be closer to what you selling for, no?
Are you scanning auctions now??

•••
Excellent man...
But if NNNNN are mostly bought by investors, I would assume floor price to be closer to what you selling for, no?
Are you scanning auctions now??

Very few investors are paying $3000+ for a 5N .com unless it has a special pattern... that is typically a retail price (for example: the price a random person from China would pay for a 5N to build a website on). Investors are typically buying them from auction. At GoDaddy auctions 5N containing a 4 sometimes go for as little as $170 (and although most go for $200+) and 5N containing no 4 or 0 go for as little as $550 (although most go for $650+). Since retail sales seem to be increasing, which makes these very profitable for investors, I expect investors are going to start bidding 5N auctions higher and higher and that the floor auction price will increase. By the end of this month I think it will be impossible to win any 5N .com auction for less than $210. I even think it's possible prices could jump super quickly making it impossible to win a 5N.com for less than $250+. Tomorrow there are 5 5N.com domains auctioning at GoDaddy 3 of which contain a 4. I expect all 5 of them to go for $180+. In a few weeks, I expect the same 5 domains would likely go for $210+.

•••
Actually, let's make this fun... here are my predictions for tomorrow's auctions.

GoDaddy Auctions Sept 4th (NNNNN.com):

65003.com
- $335
45933.com - $270
64409.com - $215
02087.com - $205
33446.com - $1340

I'll post again tomorrow night with the price each name ended up going for.

•••
Actually, let's make this fun... here are my predictions for tomorrow's auctions.

GoDaddy Auctions Sept 4th (NNNNN.com):

65003.com
- $335
45933.com - $270
64409.com - $215
02087.com - $205
33446.com - $1340

It is double repeat but still has 2 4s?
4s don't matter is repeated or what?

•••

33446.com - $1340

This is over 1700 already

So 4 doesn'y matter if it repeats it seems. Like it is no longer 4, but 44

•••
This is over 1700 already

So 4 doesn'y matter if it repeats it seems. Like it is no longer 4, but 44

I just realized there are no 5N auctions today, the ones I listed above are all happening tomorrow. My apologies for any confusion! The reason 33446 is so expensive is the rare pattern... even a 6N starting with AABB pattern can sell for a lot. If it didn't have a 4 (for example: 33116 or 33776) it would likely go for about $8000... having the two 4s makes it less desirable, but it's still an excellent pattern that rarely shows up at auction.

•••
The reason 33446 is so expensive is the rare pattern... even a 6N starting with AABB pattern can sell for a lot. If it didn't have a 4 (for example: 33116 or 33776) it would likely go for about $8000... having the two 4s makes it less desirable, but it's still an excellent pattern that rarely shows up at auction.
Thanks. Makes sense

I just realized there are no 5N auctions today, the ones I listed above are all happening tomorrow. My apologies for any confusion!

But it is happening right now? What do you mean no auction today? You mean ending tomorrow??

•••
Thanks. Makes sense

But it is happening right now? What do you mean no auction today? You mean ending tomorrow??

I thought they were ending today, but it turns out there is none ending today but the 5 auctions I mentioned all end tomorrow.

•••
I thought they were ending today, but it turns out there is none ending today but the 5 auctions I mentioned all end tomorrow.
Are you going to Bid?
You have had a lot of cashflow from NNNNN sales this month lol

•••
Are you going to Bid?
You have had a lot of cashflow from NNNNN sales this month lol

I am not... I am saving my money for the 7633.com GoDaddy auction next week (which I'm hoping will sell for less than $42,000 but we'll see).

•••
I am not... I am saving my money for the 7633.com GoDaddy auction next week (which I'm hoping will sell for less than $42,000 but we'll see).
You willing to pay 50K for that?

Being that this is a investor's market, I mean mostly investors buying it, what do you expect it you can sell it for, or you are going to wait for the next NNNN bull run?

Do you look at trends fron shortnames or you ahve some excel sheet to study trends for NNNN, NNNNN?

I like this mix of sorts of some predictability and some speculation

Last edited:
•••
I would not be willing to pay $50k for it (even though I personally believe it's a smart investment even at $70k)... but I would certainly be willing to pay $35k for it! Actually, for those interested in seeing a great indicator of the strength of the market... watch for the final price of the 7633.com auction. On April 10th (exactly 6 months earlier), 2633.com sold at GoDaddy auction for $42,500 and it's as close a comparable as you'll find. If 7633 goes for more than that... prices are rising!

•••
I would not be willing to pay $50k for it (even though I personally believe it's a smart investment even at $70k)... but I would certainly be willing to pay $35k for it! Actually, for those interested in seeing a great indicator of the strength of the market... watch for the final price of the 7633.com auction. On April 10th (exactly 6 months earlier), 2633.com sold at GoDaddy auction for $42,500 and it's as close a comparable as you'll find. If 7633 goes for more than that... prices are rising!
How much would have paid for 33446? Tell me in Good faith :) Or PM me

Last edited:
•••
How much would have paid for 33446? Tell me in Good faith :) Or PM me

I don't think it's worth bidding on 33446 anymore, the current price of $1770 is no longer a good deal (I'm not saying the person is overpaying for it, but there is way better 5N deals out there). I paid less than that for 20444.com a few months ago which is a substantially more valuable domain in my opinion. I see 45933 is now at $460 which is also no longer a good deal. The other 3 are still at excellent prices (but many people don't bid until the last minute so that means nothing)... snagging 65003 for under $300 would be epic.

Last edited:
•••
Back