shaneisthename

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

Bluehost is having a huge sale for all new signups, for as low as $3.95/mo

Signup now --> bluehost.com/

You can thank me later!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't need ssh access for any of the sites currently hosted there so never asked them. Have you talked to their support?
It is a minor requirement and wont affect my decision of signing up with them anyways, so I did not ask. If it is there, it will just be a little more convenient to deploy and upgrade things and if it is not I don't mind manual process.

•••
Ok I got it now.

For reseller cloud hosting plan, they should be doing that unless you are getting root access to do the same yourself.

One more thing to note is that most providers will only upgrade to the next major stable release of the OS only. So some minor releases are skipped.

Yep. I know all that. But as you rightly noted. It is their responsibility to upgrade the OS on a shared hosting plan. I get all that. However, I was asking if it was their policy to upgrade the OS at any time at all between 7.x and 7.9, as new upgrades were released. And they wouldn't answer the direct question with a yes or no answer. Saying something about they would have to consider the requirements of the other customers on the server. Which whilst it might be true, it is also a way to say, we are not going to answer that question directly with a yes or no answer.

There were a few other answers such as this that I let slip by. Which meant, in effect, I was probably going to get into a fight with them if I ever requested a CentOS upgrade to the latest version. And you really do not want to setup possibilities of getting in a fight with your host, whilst they are sitting on 3yrs of your money, and to upgrade is going to more than double your costs, when the 2nd most important thing which attracted to them was their pricing.

3yrs is a long time in the web hosting business. If you are running 3 year old software. It probably still will operate but it's likely to be out of date. I expect regular updates to my OS and other software to be part of ANY hosting package I buy from a host. Shared or VPS. So leaving the question with an unsatisfactory answer is not an answer which I can live with. They could even ask new customers if they want to be on a server which gets OS upgrades or not. That would solve any problems they might have with not upgrading conservative clients.

Anyway enough said. My experience overall with their sales people was not good. Some were better than others. They criticized me for asking too many questions. Like you are not supposed to ask questions, which are left out of their sales offer, and you have to go hunting for answers on links they provided which were not apparent in their offer. My communications were not all bad. Sometimes I got straight answers. But telling me I should consider a higher package because of my questions, isn't logical and didn't go down very well with me. When I know what I want, and which package would have been best for me. I just wanted every detail spelled out BEFORE I signed up, rather than to be locked into a 3yr contract without any possibility except doubling my investment, making the whole process of analyzing their offer, a waste of time. But I definitely got the feeling that their pre-sales people know they have a good offer and expect you should just signup, and ask questions later. Not before you sign the contract. so they can upgrade you at full cost later.

By all accounts. There hosting support is good. Although there have been a few exceptions I have read. But certainly better than most other hosts. They basically have a good offer using LightSpeed. They look, like a slick smooth operation. But IMHO, their pre-sales support, some of them are full of it, others are ok, let them down. But their offer is pretty good, if you can afford the 3yrs price all at once. And don't ask many questions.

If they had said "Yes we regularly upgrade our reseller packages with the latest version of CentOS when they are released", I would have signed up. I am talking about stable releases only. Not cutting edge, beta stuff. But they danced around the question. IMHO. Which is never a good sign. I don't want to be stuck on the same CentOS release for the next 3 years.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
As of now my requirements are around a dozen small-to-medium level customised sites built on wp for clients and a couple of self-coded beta-level saas apps running on simple LAMP stack, with moderate traffic. So nothing too resource-heavy. Although I do not require cutting-edge backend-stack for this, I still expect a decent level of performance.

I intend to keep things switchable with a fallback mechanism in place and regular auto-backups, in case of worst case scenarios. So yeah, this will be a test run in a controlled environment. I do have somewhat serious plans to expand / upgrade if things keep smooth for at least three months.

I will keep myself subscribed to this thread so I will post status updates now and then.

@ntjedge I just hope they have not denied SSH access.

you get SSH. 1 for every domain in your account. Applied automatically after a couple of days. AFAIK.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back