Domain Empire

HSBCLoans.INFO Problem??!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I bought this domain from a guy 1 year back & parked in sedo.. Also I was thinking of selling to somebody or use it for any affiliate program related to HSBC loans..

Now I got a mail from a soliciter of HSBC and asking to transfer the domain to HSBC or what the purpose .......... like..

What should I do?

Shall I make an offer or what should i do?

Will they able to control me on the domain?

Please help / suggest..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well make sure it is a soliciter of hsbc, not sure really what else you can do I am not to terribly sure..

•••
There are at least 2 "unfortunate" links in that site which can work in HSBC's
favor.

I won't be surprised if the letter you received was indeed sent by an HSBC
solicitor. Unless you intend to defend your "rights" to the domain name, I say
you're better off transferring it to them if you're not RAW (Ready, Able, and
Willing) to handle any more problems.

•••
You might try to explain that you bought the name from someone else and don't want to loose money on the deal. As long as they don't do their homework and find that you've actually been touting the name for a few years, and that it's just one of many in your cyber squatter arsenal, they might fall for it.

Might be worth a punt, but be prepared to hand it over quickly if they don't buy your story.

•••
If you bought the name and intended to use it to affilate or make money of the HSBC name then hand it over. On the other hand if you had a personal use for it, or you have a legit use for it, explain it to then, if need be take it to court and explain.

As you stated above, you were going to use it to afilate the HSBC loans. Hand it over.

Look at it this way. Wht if you spent 20 Years building a company, and put alot of hard work into it, sacrificed girlfriends, money, nights out, blah blah, and swaped your life for a life of dedication to making something work. Then after a long time it all works out and your making millions. Then..........someone wants to make money fo your hard work....how would you feel? Personally id take them to court!

Do what you feels best.

•••
Domains4u said:
If you bought the name and intended to use it to affilate or make money of the HSBC name then hand it over. On the other hand if you had a personal use for it, or you have a legit use for it, explain it to then, if need be take it to court and explain.

As you stated above, you were going to use it to afilate the HSBC loans. Hand it over.

Look at it this way. Wht if you spent 20 Years building a company, and put alot of hard work into it, sacrificed girlfriends, money, nights out, blah blah, and swaped your life for a life of dedication to making something work. Then after a long time it all works out and your making millions. Then..........someone wants to make money fo your hard work....how would you feel? Personally id take them to court!

Do what you feels best.

Thats a very god point! I would feel like that is it happened too me! Hand the domain over but ask if they can buy it off you

•••
its not worth the headache and bad reputation with wipo. you might have one you really want to defend later with wipo on and this one will work against you. try and ask them for $100 for you costs. they may pay that. stay away from trademarked names they are only trouble.

•••
Try to make an offer. Say, that you bought the domain legally, that your are not original keepre, tell them that you're planning to develop a site in next year, tell them that HSBC means How Set Better Credit or Hanna, Stewart, Bob, Cris. Tell them that you can take a reasonable offer into consideration. That's it. I think you can get 500 for the domain.

•••
Hey sorry but you must be kidding IMO.
To me the TM issue is too obvious. Do you really believe they will accept such an excuse for holding a name with 'hsbc' in it.
I'm afraid unless you hand over the name voluntarily, they will sue and you will lose.
Explain your case and make sure you are talking to a lawyer. But I'm afraid you don't have a case here. If you were a credit broker for that bank at least you would have some sort of excuse. But parked name ? Sorry. Hope you didn't pay too much when you purchased it.

•••
sdsinc said:
Hey sorry but you must be kidding IMO.
To me the TM issue is too obvious. Do you really believe they will accept such an excuse for holding a name with 'hsbc' in it.
I'm afraid unless you hand over the name voluntarily, they will sue and you will lose.
Explain your case and make sure you are talking to a lawyer. But I'm afraid you don't have a case here. If you were a credit broker for that bank at least you would have some sort of excuse. But parked name ? Sorry. Hope you didn't pay too much when you purchased it.

I have to agree with Kate here. The TM is too obvious in this case.

Some companies may be willing to reimburse you for your costs in exchange for the domain. It wouldn't hurt to ask. You don't have much room to make a profit on this though.

Best of luck,

RJ

•••
Hmmm. For me HSBC is nothing. I even dont know what is it.

BTW, HSBClowns.com is available for registration.

•••
•••
Not in my country. HSBC is nothing here and means nothing here until established.

•••
I personally would hand it over immediately along with an apology pleading ignorant about trademarks. Definate TM Trouble. :td: If anyone has money to take you to court it's these guys - no question.

HSBC's international network comprises over 9,800 offices in 77 countries and territories in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East and Africa.

Last edited:
•••
wasistdas said:
Not in my country. HSBC is nothing here and means nothing here until established.
Unless someone in your country does business with the rest of the world at which point they are undoubtedly familiar with one of the worlds largest banks. And since you have never heard of it I assume you haven't done a trademark search and so have no idea whether they have any legal protection in your contry.

•••
whois.com.ua

% No entries found for domain hsbc.ua

For "one of the worlds largest banks" it is a shame not to register their TM in a European country of 48 mil population.

UPDATED: Well, they did it at least with hsbc.com.ua

•••
wasistdas said:

If you register a .COM, .NET, or .INFO domain, you agree to be subject to UDRP. The trademark holder can file a dispute to try to claim the name, regardless of where you live.

•••
-RJ- said:
If you register a .COM, .NET, or .INFO domain, you agree to be subject to UDRP. The trademark holder can file a dispute to try to claim the name, regardless of where you live.

Does that not apply to other extensions, not just .com, .net,.info :?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back