Dynadot

advice How to secure a twitter account that is already taken and inactive

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi guys,

I am the owner of TutorialIndex and this @TutorialIndex username was taken on twitter. The account was inactive for more than 3 years.

After searching online for a method on how I can take that username, I finally did it, and I want to share with you guys what to do in this case.

So, by steps:

1. I registered on twitter with my [email protected] e-mail address and it gave me a random username like @IndexTutorial;
2. You need to go to THIS form and select: An account is pretending to be me or someone I know / I am being impersonated.
3. Fill out the rest of the form, is pretty straight forward.
4. You will receive an e-mail on the e-mail that you used when registering the username, make sure you have access to on which Twitter will ask you to reply just to confirm that you use that specific .COM
5. After reply, Twitter will accept and ask you what is your next step, please find below an excerpt of the e-mail:

To proceed with the transfer, simply reply to this email with the username of the account you want renamed with the requested username. This could be an existing Twitter account that you want renamed or a new placeholder account (for example, twitter.com/temp123 or @temp123). Once we receive the username for the existing account you want renamed or placeholder account, we will apply the requested username to it.
  • A username transfer only changes the username of your account.
  • All the existing content on your existing or placeholder account (followers, Tweets) will remain intact.
  • A username change will not affect your existing followers, Direct Messages, or replies. Your followers will simply see a new username next to your picture when you Tweet.
  • Since other users will need to mention and message you at your new username, you may find it helpful to post a Tweet to let your followers know that you've selected a new username.
After the transfer, your previous or temporary placeholder username will be released immediately for use by other accounts.

6. Reply to the e-mail with what you want to do, in my case I decided to switch from @IndexTutorial to @TutorialIndex
7. You will receive a confirmation from Twitter that everything was done and accepted. Please find below the e-mail:
Hello,

We have now associated the requested username with the account you provided.

You can change the capitalization in your username at any time in your account settings: https://twitter.com/account/settings.

Thanks,

Twitter Support

TIP:
- It will help if you have the matching .com listed as your domain in your account on Twitter;
- It will help if you will use a custom e-mail like [email protected]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back