Dynadot

question How to Register .COM.AU names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How to register .com.au domains if you do not have any presence or trademark in Australia?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unless you have an ABN number, you cannot register .com.au names

•••
Unless you have an ABN number, you cannot register .com.au names
There are actually a number of ways that overseas businesses can be eligible to hold a .com.au domain name.

One of the most common approaches that I've seen is applying for an Australian trade mark. More details on eligibility here:
https://www.ebranding.com.au/faqs/eligible-domain-holders/

Here's two components from that page with my added emphasis:

e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

Applying for a trade mark is fairly straightforward and not particularly expensive. Plus, you'll meet the eligibility requirements from the time of application - you don't need to wait for TM indexing or approval.

Last edited:
•••
There are actually a number of ways that overseas businesses can be eligible to hold a .com.au domain name.

When the OP mentioned "do not have any presence or trademark in Australia?" I was under the impression he doesn't wants to file for a TM in Oz.

These are the current riles for .com.au registration

• [*]An Australian registered company
    [*]Trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory
    [*]An Australian partnership or sole trader
    [*]A foreign company licensed to trade in Australia
    [*]Be an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark
    [*]An applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark
    [*]An association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory
    [*]An Australian commercial statutory body

There are other ??.au names that have different regulations as well, not familiar with what they are though.

•••
So can a person with ABN and living in Australia go for .com.au domains?

•••
Yes they can @UmerK

I have a couple of .com.au names

•••
As an Australian accountant and tax agent I can say one way would be to buy or register an Australian shelf company which will thus be entitled to an ABN. You just need to find someone in Australia to be a director as the shareholders can be overseas but there has to be at least 1 director residing in Australia.

•••
Just be aware there is a $99 transfer fee imposed by the registrar when you sell and want to transfer a .au domain

•••
Just be aware there is a $99 transfer fee imposed by the registrar when you sell and want to transfer a .au domain
The fee that you're referring to is the Change of Registrant (CoR) fee.

The cost will vary depending on the registrar that you use to process the CoR. We pay just over $20 to process CoRs using our wholesale account.

The price is usually in the range of $25 - $50 through good registrars.

There is a fee for CoRs, but the actual transfer (i.e. from one registrar to another) is free for .com.au domains.

Further details below from our FAQs page:
A Change of Registrant (CoR) is required in order to change the legal owner of a .au domain name. The process is required in order to change the Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Company Number (ACN), or other eligibility type associated with the domain.​

•••
I have written a detailed blog about how foreigners can legally register .com.au domain names here --> http://domainfriday.com.au/foreign-registration

Once you have completed your "application for a trademark" you can then buy as many .com.au domain names at close to wholesale prices from the biggest biggest Australian .com.au premium domain name website DomainFriday.com.au

There has never been a better time to invest in .com.au domain names... Later this year, direct .AU ccTLD is expected to come into existence.. It is also expected that whoever owns the exact-match .com.au - will have "first rights" at the direct .AU TLD.

Feel free to email me from my DBR.com.au website for more info. We help businesses and corporations every day from around the world with Australian premium domain name acquisitions.

Cheers! Robert.

•••

I own and manage an Australian Registrar/Reseller company called AussieNames.com.au

We only charge $60AU (which is $46US) to perform COR transfers.

•••
•••
Back