IT.COM

tips How to avoid misspelled domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kite26

Fearless BirdTop Member
Impact
Many people who are new domainers, usually register misspelled names. I want to give some simple ways to avoid misspelled domain name and save their money.

1) Copy your keyword and search it on google. If you see ''Do you mean'' message, maybe you have wrote something wrong and check it again. The fast way: Double click on the word =>Right click => Search on Google
2) Check your word (s) on a dictionary. I suggest Merriam-Webster dictionary, but you can find many others.
3) Many words have american or british english versions. Check which of them is more popular and fits more to your extension. For example, if you have .us domain you must look for american spelling and english version for .co.uk extension.
4) If you are still in trouble, you can search ''word 1 or word 2'' and you will find easily some useful websites, which will explain the differences between the words.
5) If you find the right type of word for your domain, don't try to write it to your registrar. It's better to copy paste directly to avoid the possibility of human errors.
6) It's not crime to check your domain many times before registering it.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good advice. I follow a similar process. This will be helpful for newbies.

•••
This is quite a complex topic, and it involves misuse and cultural differences as well as misspellings.
For example - it seems most people don't understand the differences between "insure", "ensure" and "assure"?. How many people use the poor construction "for free"? What is a "fanny" or an "ass"?
Which would be the better name tires.co.uk or tyres.co.uk? What is the difference between "English" and "english"?

and so on...........

•••
This is quite a complex topic, and it involves misuse and cultural differences as well as misspellings.
For example - it seems most people don't understand the differences between "insure", "ensure" and "assure"?. How many people use the poor construction "for free"? What is a "fanny" or an "ass"?
Which would be the better name tires.co.uk or tyres.co.uk? What is the difference between "English" and "english"?

and so on...........
Sure, it is a complex topic. I gave only the simple rules and methods which i personally follow to avoid errors. Anyone is free to select which ''english'' or any other language he wants.

•••
Good idea however some of them are quite valuable and get type in traffic.

•••
Good idea however some of them are quite valuable and get type in traffic.
Yes, i agree. Obviously, i refer to those who don't know the english language well and want their name without misspellings.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back