Dynadot

advice How should I reach out to potential leads?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Croc

Upgraded Member
Impact
I have this extremely valuable pair of domains in two major TLDs. It's a four-letter common dictionary word.
I found an established global company with a name that contains this keyword in it. It's definitely something I think they would want even though their primary dot com domain is only three extra letters.

How do I approach a potential end user? I've never messaged a lead before about acquiring a domain because I suck at selling things. I can buy things, but my selling skills is where I am lacking.

Would cold-messaging one of the company execs on LinkedIn be a good approach or would that be considered bad etiquette?

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would love to know as well!

•••
I have this extremely valuable pair of domains in two major TLDs. It's a four-letter common dictionary word.

Hi

if those two major tld's are not .COM, then forget about it

and

if they are four letter.com, common dictionary words.... then you would have been offers for them long time ago

imo...

•••
Hi

if those two major tld's are not .COM, then forget about it

They are .net and .org

Dawn.org (not mine) sold several months ago on Sedo.com to an end user for $50k, so that gave me hope.

Also, you didn't even answer my question.

Last edited:
•••
They are .net and .org

Dawn.org (not mine) sold several months ago on Sedo.com to an end user for $50k, so that gave me hope.

Also, you didn't even answer my question.

Hi

I only read the words you posted and try..... to give you my perspective

first, you ask about how to solicit a company that has a .COM and you have a net and org

note that:
you didn't reveal that info in initial post, so had to sqaz.com ... it out of you
only said you have "two major tlds"

now, this company has the .com, so why would they want or need to pay extra for your name?

and.... just because another .org sold for X amount does not transfer any additional value or desirability to your name, automatically.

and... you must... look, to see what buyers do with the sold names you see or research -
that give you this sense of hope... to determine if that hope, is related "specifically" to your domain, not comparably.. so that any hope is founded by or with, some reason or rationality.

i'm not going to just spoon feed you directions on how to solicit an unsuspecting victim, when I don't even know the domain you are talking about.
so, why should I or anyone aid and assist in a potential spam campaign, without knowing all the facts?

still, there are hundreds of threads on how to solicit endusers here on namepros
that's what most ask and brag about, so you only have to use the search feature to get a clue.

Good Luck!

imo...

•••
i'm not going to just spoon feed you directions on how to solicit an unsuspecting victim, when I don't even know the domain you are talking about.

What the hell, I'll just say what the domains are. I already had them listed publicly on NP anyway.

DUEL.NET and DUEL.ORG

I've spoken with the broker that owns DUEL.COM and he wants 6 figures (which is reasonable for a 4L.com for sure, but that's beside the point) and he isn't interested in acquiring the complete set. It currently sits unused.

The company I mentioned in my original post does not have DUEL.com. But their .COM domain has "DUEL" in it. It's FanDuel.com and it is a sports betting company.

Now that you and others have all the info, does this change your answer?

•••
Nice names....

If they have a VP of marketing reach out to them on LinkedIn and see what they to say, if you have premium drop them a message in a proposal format...if not a brief connection request

Make sure you have have a landing page set up with BIN or make offer....you should really have one set up as a matter of course

GL..

•••
Now that you and others have all the info, does this change your answer?

Hi

thanks for proving some detail

however, my answer basically remains the same

here's why

duel.net can be confused with dual.net and without the word, "fan"... then what kind of duel or dual is it?
fanduel it's now recognized brand, so why should or would they dilute or confuse it

so, what I;m saying is duel, is vague in that sense.

still, you can take advice of others on contact options,
but i'm just giving you a possible response or thought, that the person receiving your solicitation, might think as well.

additionally, by "reaching out" as they call it, you may "entrap" yo-self,
if you think you name is similar and they think it's "so similar or too similar" ...
that since you brought it to their attention, perhaps the domain could be confusing or infringing on, their brand.

just saying ….

imo….

•••
Hi

thanks for proving some detail

however, my answer basically remains the same

here's why

duel.net can be confused with dual.net and without the word, "fan"... then what kind of duel or dual is it?
fanduel it's now recognized brand, so why should or would they dilute or confuse it

so, what I;m saying is duel, is vague in that sense.

still, you can take advice of others on contact options,
but i'm just giving you a possible response or thought, that the person receiving your solicitation, might think as well.

additionally, by "reaching out" as they call it, you may "entrap" yo-self,
if you think you name is similar and they think it's "so similar or too similar" ...
that since you brought it to their attention, perhaps the domain could be confusing or infringing on, their brand.

just saying ….

imo….
Very well thought out reply and a lot experience behind the comments....

I did not give any thought to any possible TM infringement that reaching out could cause, so the OP as you state does need to bear this in mind....and do the appropriate research

Thanks for bringing that up......

•••
Would cold-messaging one of the company execs on LinkedIn be a good approach or would that be considered bad etiquette?

The very next thing you would expect, probably, is a mail from their legal dept. especially if they are US based, they have cybersquatting laws in their favour and then a UDRP complaint, maybe? Assuming the worst, yet not disheartening you. LinkedIn is a good place to build contacts but reaching out to someone in that way isn't the best idea in my opinion.

Just feel bad about what happened in the bc30 case... https://www.namepros.com/threads/bc30-com-udrp-lost-by-namepros-member.1177875/

Reaching out to them first may also put them in a good position to low ball, even if they are potential buyers. Just my 2 cents.

•••
The very next thing you would expect, probably, is a mail from their legal dept. especially if they are US based, they have cybersquatting laws in their favour and then a UDRP complaint, maybe? Assuming the worst, yet not disheartening you. LinkedIn is a good place to build contacts but reaching out to someone in that way isn't the best idea in my opinion.

Just feel bad about what happened in the bc30 case... https://www.namepros.com/threads/bc30-com-udrp-lost-by-namepros-member.1177875/

Reaching out to them first may also put them in a good position to low ball, even if they are potential buyers. Just my 2 cents.

I got both domains for under $3k, so I definitely have huge margins for profit imo.
But have there been any successful UDRP cases in history where a company has taken a single dictionary word domain. I didn't think it was even possible to trademark a single dictionary word nowadays.

•••
Hi, I used to cold call business to business in the past and I just wrote this up for fun to see if it's a good approach when sending a brief message to a possible decision maker, like a VP of marketing as @NickB mentioned. Any thoughts?

I was just reviewing some domains in my portfolio in hopes of doing something with them and today I decided to search google with the term 'xxxxxxxxxx' and your business popped up on the first page.

The reason I did this randomly today is because I own xxxxxxxxxxxx and was wondering if you would be interested in owning it possibly. I figured with the popularity of _____________ maybe it would be useful to market your business or future products and services.

It will be up for renewal (date) and is registered on (registrar). If you are interested please contact me as I would like to see it utilized rather than sitting in my portfolio.

•••
Back