IT.COM

poll How many domain names do you own?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many domain names do you currently own?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0 to 50

votes
    31.9%
  • 50 to 100

votes
    13.4%
  • 100 to 500

votes
    29.8%
  • 500 to 1000

votes
    10.4%
  • 1000 to 5000

votes
    10.3%
  • 5000 or more

votes
    4.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Gerald K

Established Member
Impact
I`m wondering how many domains do you own in total?
How many domains do you buy and sell per year?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There have been countless of threads asking the exact same question, so you can definitely take a look over it. (Also the reason why you are not getting comments)

In my opinion it does not matter how much domains you possess, it's about how good they are. So I buy a domain only if I think it's great enough and will sell. Past year I bought about 35 domains, and sold about 10.

I'd rather have 20 good domains than a thousand of crappy ones any day.

That being said, you can tell what's my portfolio size ;)

Last edited:
•••
I don't own any domains, I just lease them yearly.

•••
Little over 1350.
Sell around 1% p/year and plan to increase that up to 3%.

So my previous response is now more than 2 years old. So currently I'm having 3,300 domains and sell ratio is 2-2.5% and getting close towards 3% which I think will achieve by the end of 2020.

•••
I clear over thousand yearly. some I sell off but I mainly park so most don't make my criteria I cut. I never buy more then I profited the month before.

•••
Quality not quantity.........although quantity could work !?
Problem is to many believe their domains are super high quality

•••
Just over 500, 95% hand registered.

•••
I'm now down to 13 in my public portfolio (dropping 3 more next month) and an undisclosed amount in my private portfolio. (95% of both portfolios are developed). I may be trimming more fat within the next 6 months to focus on the developments showing more profitability during testing.

•••
Little over 1350.
Sell around 1% p/year and plan to increase that up to 3%.

•••
Down to 1400+ from around 3500 a year ago.

Let most of LLLL.orgs go after the price increase of around 50% from GD... It was numbers game that made sense till then...

I'll update mine too. I pruned even more first to maybe around 1200 and then ramped up within last year and half to about 3700 domains currently. I haven't really checked the sales against the ramp up to have exact sell through, but I'd estimate at 1.5%-2%. With the launch of my marketplace, I expect 2-3%. As for quantity, I plan to get to 10K within 2 years and then add 5K-10K names every year.

•••
I was probably not clear. I am reinvesting earnings from domains, not other sources.

But probably you select names more expensive to acquire? I currently buy either llll.com for xxx to xxxx or brandable names for very low xx$. With the latter category, adding 1000 names costs around $20k.

Adding 100 llll.com costs as much as adding 1500-2000 brandable names.

Wow! That's really impressive to see you're investing all money into domains from domain income only considering the results you've achieved so far (y)

Earlier I used to buy lot of expensive domains but now I'm focusing more on average domains in 3 figures and mostly 2 word brandable domains so I can sell them for low-mid 4 figures which is the sweet spot for endusers to buy the domain.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
We have reduced our number down from 200 to approximately 100 domains. Changed our focus moving forward, and now purchase more selectively.

Last edited:
•••
•••
All in Cannabis

.com only
Canna
Leaf
Cannabis
Weed
Marijuana
Cbd
Mmj

Some regionals, but more seo..based urls.
Heavy in agriculture, mmj, street level stores, pet care and vape,shatter.

I'm a wait and hold awaiting California, Massachusetts, Maine permits .

Every purchase had a end user in sight, from a grower to a retail store in Santa Monica .To a coffee product, or shop. From juice bars, to sodas and beer. All I did was think for a few years on what the " anticipated " needs would be. Keep in mind the industry is at a few billion . Going to 27billion. Just LA County is equal to all of Colorado in anticipated cannabis sales.

I personally do this on the side, my main focus is on environmental control equipment for the leafy greens and cannabis expansion.

Last edited:
•••
So most part of money invested into domains is from different businesses income which makes sense since you're targeting to add domains quite aggressively in coming time.

At my end, it's 100% domain income invested back into domains so I cannot be buying at the same pace like yours.

I was probably not clear. I am reinvesting earnings from domains, not other sources.

But probably you select names more expensive to acquire? I currently buy either llll.com for xxx to xxxx or brandable names for very low xx$. With the latter category, adding 1000 names costs around $20k.

Adding 100 llll.com costs as much as adding 1500-2000 brandable names.

•••
For good, descent names picked at low xx$, what's the efficient sales price?
Efficient: if one wishes to sell and acquire more.
1500, 2000, or 5000?

Each name is different. But normally I price them at 1800 to 5000, most at 2500.

•••
Wow! That's really impressive to see you're investing all money into domains from domain income only considering the results you've achieved so far (y)

Earlier I used to buy lot of expensive domains but some time I'm focusing more on average domains in 3 figures and mostly 2 word brandable domains so I can sell them for low-mid 4 figures which is the sweet spot for endusers to buy the domain.

Thank you! I'd say about 50% of my domain income goes towards renewals and new acquisitions. I rarely buy brandables for $xxx, as I don't want to get into bidding wars with HD and others for the names that still won't sell above low to mid xxxx. $20 to $2500 even with a bit lower sell through is better than $200 to 5000.

Yes, it takes time to look through the lists to buy 5-20 names a day. But it also takes time to be in auctions and you have to be there stuck at certain hours.

The only auctions I still regularly participate is for LLLLs and added over 100 during the past year. Few brandables I bought for xxx lately are LaCherie, Briefa, Raily (sold) etc. Those would be the ones I can see an own use for pretty much.

Examples of the names I buy at closeouts are LetsGoRentals, ClayExpressions, Turanos, BJCustom, LifeRugs, ScienceBuy, InfluxFinancial, Keramio, Draska, TimelessHotel, Restaurantex, AutoRepairCare, Riville, Brackner, VestPartners, Fabna, SongMarketing, Trisla, H2OFactory, WeaponVault, QualityTreasures, Frangelli, Viazu, Lovesque, ModelReels, RightAthletics, Techtian, Steys, Nutscoop, BackyardHouse, RepairPages, Portahut, PalmaBella, Sharoco, WestPortraits, VermontHills, DyeWork, USAQuantum, SecretLog, LeftRightGaming, StraightRecords, Costean, PointPsychology, ForteMart, GloriousCraft, InstaTray, CareerAward, BallTutor, CaspianTrade, BrilliantWines, LifeProspects... These are just part of what I bought in last 2 weeks...

•••
ONE and a few K.
It's to early to give a statistic about my 'buy & sell'.

•••
•••
•••
Between 2.000 and 2.200
But I will drop more than 150 in next 2 months :)

•••
  1. 0 to 50 113 vote(s) 28.0%
  2. 50 to 100 53 vote(s)13.2%
  3. *100 to 500 132 vote(s) 32.8%
  4. 500 to 1000 49 vote(s) 12.2%
  5. 1000 to 5000 39 vote(s)9.7%
  6. 5000 or more 17 vote(s)4.2%
So, numbers posted by members above in this thread : 74% are in 0-500 range and 26% are in 500+ range

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back