Dynadot

discuss How long before a new domainer should start buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How long before a new domainer should start buying?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 15 days

vote
    4.2%
  • 15 to 30 days

votes
    0.0%
  • 30 to 45 days

votes
    16.7%
  • 45 - 60 days

votes
    12.5%
  • More than 60 days

votes
    66.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
How long do you think a new domainer should wait to understand the market before they start investing in domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As long as it takes to really know what you are doing.
It is not enough that you think you know what you are doing.

•••
Agree with @blogspotter. Would add though that you should invest (some not all) capital before you get fed up and leave :). Some money in the game is also a way of learning but spread your initial investment over a longer time period and do not spend it all at once.

I often read people here on NP saying one should learn, read and so on before buying. I would say: Learn, read, buy and then repeat this cycle for X number of months/years. Never spend it all once - not on your day 1 of investing nor on your day 10,000. Perspective to investing/spending is important.

Last edited:
•••
I think buying a few to play around with can be a good part of the learning process, so long as you can keep a rein on it.

•••
When you are double sure you are not wasting your money. And even at that, buy only few and keep learn. If as you learn more you realize the first few names you registered were not good,l, you will take consolation in the fact that it was part of your learning.

Also as a beginner, try to always use the appraisal section whenever you register names. This will help you get the opinion of experienced domainers about what you're registering.
Good luck.

•••
•••
can you tell me what you guys are all about to learn? but learn what to do?

•••
•••
You should wait till you have no more questions left.

•••
He has been for more than 2 years and did not buy anything yet so may be this is a good example for waiting.
While waiting keep posting questions.

•••
•••
I would suggest 2 to 3 months of learning before buying any domain for reselling purpose. One should ideally learn the basics of domain trading, identify his niche or expertise, follow & understand the sales data and then jump in.

•••
What you do want to learn

•••
When I think back about the mistakes, I made more than 20 years ago when I started domaining, I think that I was like most domainer Wanta bees. I figured I could find names buyers would love. That took years to develop an inventory worth selling. Learning to be a domainer is like a lot of other things. It takes hard work and perseverance. IMO lots more than 60 days.

•••
Depends from person to person, based on their past experiences and knowledge. Anyway, at minimum, every newbie should spend 20 days reading NamePros Forum. (y)

•••
I suppose you are thinking a lot of comments but nothing concrete.
I give you a concrete idea: https://www.dropcatch.com/, public auction for dropped domains.
Here there are the pro, here there are good domains, here you can invest money.
Watch at participed auction first.
Then you can try to buy some domains if you think worth the price (for example two english words domain that makes sense). Do not buy in auction without bids in the beginning, Do not invest all the money in few domains to spread the risk.

•••
•••
Back