IT.COM

How I Significantly Decreased My Bounce Rate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
bounce-rate.png

I discovered how to almost guarantee that visitors will look at more than one post, making the bounce rate in the single digits almost every day. Thanks to google analytics and my new weekly series idea :)

For those of you who don’t know, let me define what a site’s bounce rate is. It is the percentage of visitors that only look at one page and then “bounce” or leave the site right away. A high bounce rate is typically undesirable, because it means visitors see less content than the webmaster would typically desire.

I’m fascinated by statistics of all types, so naturally I obsessively look at my google analytics statistics for my blog stats. I couldn’t help but notice a significant difference in my my bounce rate during one “mysterious” week

Typically, I had a history of a fairly high bounce rate, because this was a blog, and most visitors had no need to look at more than just the post of their interest. A high bounce rate is typical for blogs. Mine was 100% for a few days too, because that was before I started updating again.

Before November 17, I had a very high bounce rate every day. It went down from November 17 to 23, but after November 23, it “mysteriously” skyrocketed again. So, why was my bounce rate so low from November 17 to November 23? I noticed that it also happened to be the week of my first weekly series. Apparently, if I have a series index post followed by seven other posts (one per day for the series), visitors tend to look at more than one post in the series. I make sure that each posts links back to the series index, and most of my visitors will not only read the post that they searched for but also take a look at the entire series index and possibly click on another post.

For you bloggers out there, this is a great way to get visitors to read more than one post! Have one index of several posts which links to all of them, and make sure each of the individual posts also links back to the series index. This way, readers will not only read the post that then first landed on but also refer to the series index and have a high rate of reading other similar posts in the same “index” post.

So, I will make sure to continue my weekly series posts. I write my content so it will be read, and I was very happy to see that most people saw more than one post that week.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
or you can try what namepros does give incentives like nps theres alot of other domain forums but i stay here because i can earn enough nps to buy a domain

•••
hey congrats, also when creating articles link back or refer to other articles you've written on your blog, so they can follow it and read and stay more on your blog. Applicable also on web sites.

•••
This is so simple but very effective both on reducing bounce rate and gaining position up in the se's rank.

•••
Nice tip

Thanks for the tip. One of my sites is starting to get good traffic and I'm suffering the same problem. I think I'll reference other related articles (in a series idea) in my posts so hopefully people will check out the site more. Thanks and rep your way.

•••
•••
So, has anyone tried something similar with similar success? I tried another series another time, but it didn't seem to have as nice of an impact on my bounce rate. Maybe the content just wasn't as interesting.

•••
Thank you for this info. I just signed up for Google Analytics last week and wondered what the bounce rate was! You saved me a lot of time besides providing excellent info.!

•••
thanks for the share.. its a really great way to reduce bounce rate. :)

•••
Good Post! I'm glad you shared this thing to us. ;)

•••
I wrote an article before in my former blog regarding bounce traffic and this is another good discovery.. thanks..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back