Dynadot

advice How established .com businesses can greatly benefit from the new generation of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
How established .com businesses can greatly benefit from the new generation of domain names, and why they might want to use multiple domain names.

Everyone who seriously invests in the new generation of domain names (also sometimes called “new gTLDs” - so in domain names ending in extensions like .life, .world, or .expert - for example, a domain like alien.life, paradise.world or wealth.expert) must have noticed something very interesting. Some of the largest global companies and brands like Apple, Amazon, or T-Mobile are registering new gTLDs in large amounts, usually focusing on very high quality, keyword-rich domain names.

What do they do that? Although we can not say 100% what their intentions are now, or in the future, we can observe how the domain names are being used by those companies, and learn from it. I believe if the below discussed approaches and techniques work well for them, it will definitely benefit also an average online business owner. We should always learn from the best, after all.

It seems like that most global companies have already understood that although their main website domain name is their main digital identity and their main brand at the same time, it is not always necessarily the best URL for each form of engagement with their clients, customers or fans.

Let me give you a few examples to clarify what I mean. I will describe some interesting things which large companies are doing with the new generation of domain names, and which you probably have not heard about until now.

1. Amazon - using new gTLDs as the main URL for specific projects.

Let’s start with Amazon. One of the most valuable brands in the world, operating its main business at Amazon.com. What can do you there? Of course, online shopping. But Amazon is not only about online shopping. They have hundreds of other businesses and online activities as well. For example, they are running the Amazon Care program, designed to make easier access to healthcare for their employees. They run in at Amazon.Care domain name. Could they put the whole content of this program under Amazon.com? Sure, that was the possibility as well, but by using this specific TLD, .care, which makes perfect semantic sense, they are simply:

1. Communicating a message with the URL itself
2. Inviting more online engagement from their target group.
3. They also prevent their main URL from being cluttered by content which is not relevant for the main focus of the URL, which is online shopping.
4. Less cluttering means they make their main URL easier to navigate for their clients, so they can focus on what matters most - online shopping.

2. T-Mobile - using new gTLDs as a clever redirect for specific projects.

Now, I will give you another nice example of a large global company using new gTLD domain names in the correct and innovative way, which is T-Mobile.

Read more...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome back

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I am not really a fan of nGTLD, but it is a well written article and I gave you a like on it.

Brad

•••
im half in and half out on new gtlds. Depends on the actual name of it to me. ty great article.

•••
•••
really like nGTLDs, am a huge fan

but I think the future is in .US

which is the Ultimate Solution for Planet Earth

( unless .USA comes out, which I expect it to... )

•••
really like nGTLDs, am a huge fan

but I think the future is in .US

which is the Ultimate Solution for Planet Earth

( unless .USA comes out, which I expect it to... )
really? You would like .usa over .us? ty

•••
Great article and welcome back @Brands.International :xf.smile:

I agree 100% with the following key point:
"While their main website domain name is their main digital identity and their main brand at the same time, it is not always necessarily the best URL for each form of engagement with their clients, customers or fans."

On social media such as Twitter, where simply the dot makes it hot clickable, having attractive and descriptive names that suit a particular purpose makes so much sense over some long and involved subdomain address.

Thanks again for a great article.

Bob

•••
Great article, it's good to see that some big companies are using the New gTLDs, this shows that New gTLDs make prefect sense for certain applications and in some cases make for the most logical choice.

IMO

•••
Nice article.

I do have a concern for gTLD's as secondary domains however.

The moment a company uses one, it gives creditability to every other gTLD release. For example, credit to apple for owning apple.tv and apple.watch.

But what happens with apple.creditcard, apple.deals, apple.software or anything else that would create confusion if used by another company.

Seems to me it is safer to have the dotcom and then use watch.apple, tv.apple or any other product domain under companies own gTLD and have complete brand ownership.

Last edited:
•••
I am not really a fan of nGTLD, but it is a well written article and I gave you a like on it.

Brad
Thank you Brad. I much appreciate that :)

•••
Great article and welcome back @Brands.International :xf.smile:

I agree 100% with the following key point:
"While their main website domain name is their main digital identity and their main brand at the same time, it is not always necessarily the best URL for each form of engagement with their clients, customers or fans."

On social media such as Twitter, where simply the dot makes it hot clickable, having attractive and descriptive names that suit a particular purpose makes so much sense over some long and involved subdomain address.

Thanks again for a great article.

Bob
Thank you Bob! :)

Yes, exactly, that "hot clickable" thing is the case on Twitter, and also on LinkedIn, and Youtube comments section as well.

•••
Nice article.

I do have a concern for gTLD's as secondary domains however.

The moment a company uses one, it gives creditability to every other gTLD release. For example, credit to apple for owning apple.tv and apple.watch.

But what happens with apple.creditcard, apple.deals, apple.software or anything else that would create confusion if used by another company.

Seems to me it is safer to have the dotcom and then use watch.apple, tv.apple or any other product domain under companies own gTLD and have complete brand ownership.
Exactly, large companies might opt for their own .brand, like .apple, if that makes sense for them. It is possible now. It is very complex topic however if this is suitable for each company, as significant initial costs and maintenance costs are associated with owning your own .brand.

As for domains like apple.creditcard, apple.deals, apple.software, etc - in this particular case Apple simply owns all of them if I remember correctly. But even if they would not have registered them (not all companies can afford this approach), existing TM law is sufficient to prevent other companies to use them in infringing ways.

•••
Back