Dynadot

question How domain age is an important factor for selling?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ravindrasinh Chauhan

Established Member
Impact
How domain age is important for sell/buy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
domain age infers that the someone else did their homework on the domain. so much so that they felt it was valuable.

valuable enough to keep renewing year after year.

True domain investors will buy such domains instead of hand registering a domain and pay a premium.

Of course smart domains will first research for themselves before pulling the trigger.

Funny thing about age though.When you go on Dropcatch where domains are "caught" i.e. quickly registered soon after they delete. All the Aging disappears down the toilet. All that money to renew it year after year.

The registrar may have let the domain slip thru it's filters and algorithms that should have sent the expired domain to auctions but instead let it delete.

Then it ends up being dropcatched.

But then if more than 2 people ordered a dropcatch. Then the domain goes to auction.

Now why would anyone pay $59 to get a domain that has lost all it's aging? Basically the delete reset it's age to zero.

yet somehow the domain will sell for $10,000 or more.

Now we're talking about about how many backlinks the domain has. Now we're talking about SEO value.

But then again. I suspect many just buy what they like

There will be a lot of experts on here who will give you some expert answers but in thee end. It's all a crap shoot.

a global expensive big players crap shoot.

Best of luck!

•••
domain age infers that the someone else did their homework on the domain. so much so that they felt it was valuable.

valuable enough to keep renewing year after year.

True domain investors will buy such domains instead of hand registering a domain and pay a premium.

Of course smart domains will first research for themselves before pulling the trigger.

Funny thing about age though.When you go on Dropcatch where domains are "caught" i.e. quickly registered soon after they delete. All the Aging disappears down the toilet. All that money to renew it year after year.

The registrar may have let the domain slip thru it's filters and algorithms that should have sent the expired domain to auctions but instead let it delete.

Then it ends up being dropcatched.

But then if more than 2 people ordered a dropcatch. Then the domain goes to auction.

Now why would anyone pay $59 to get a domain that has lost all it's aging? Basically the delete reset it's age to zero.

yet somehow the domain will sell for $10,000 or more.

Now we're talking about about how many backlinks the domain has. Now we're talking about SEO value.

But then again. I suspect many just buy what they like

There will be a lot of experts on here who will give you some expert answers but in thee end. It's all a crap shoot.

a global expensive big players crap shoot.

Best of luck!

Thanks sir

I found 1 domain 21 years old and now its going to bid in so less amount

Is it possible that investors can't caught it so its price too less?

Shall I buy it or not

•••
•••
Age does not provide any intrinsic value - a junk domain is a junk domain whether it's been registered for 20 minutes or 20 years.
Absolutely. Some really bad registrations were made 20 years ago. I might have had a few of my own back then. :xf.wink:

•••
Absolutely. Some really bad registrations were made 20 years ago. I might have had a few of my own back then. :xf.wink:

If you're suddenly nostalgic for some awful domains that are old, I'm sure I can find you a few - :D

•••
Thanks sir

I found 1 domain 21 years old and now its going to bid in so less amount

Is it possible that investors can't caught it so its price too less?

Shall I buy it or not
To be honest with you, in order to make it in this business, you need to have some knowledge of word associations, especially in English. Even then, it's a tough ordeal. There is no magic potion. Numbers add up to nothing, age is meaningless unless the words are meaningful...

When you think you've researched a domain and found a gem, a hundred others will already have had their eyes on it.

A 21 year old domain registration might be worth looking into but remember, in today's market, no stone is left unturned.

•••
If you're suddenly nostalgic for some awful domains that are old, I'm sure I can find you a few - :D
I actually started out doing PPC. I still have a few domains that date back to at least 2003 and I've never put them up for sale. I guess I'm just a (nostalgic) softy...:xf.smile:

•••
Age does not provide any intrinsic value - a junk domain is a junk domain whether it's been registered for 20 minutes or 20 years.

I've heard this so many times before. but let me reg a "Great domain" right now and I'm talking about an EMD just heard it on the news and it's worthy of one day landing in the dictionary or having it's own wikipedia and guaranteed someone will see "no value" just because it was regged yesterday. Are we suppose to just ignore this fact?

•••
guaranteed someone will see "no value" just because it was regged yesterday

Your BMW has a value even if you did only buy it yesterday.
My rusted in place on the driveway for 2 decades Lada that doesnt even start does not have a value.
A 10 year old limited edition Ferrari has a value

Junk is Junk, Diamonds are Diamonds - age as the defining factor really only matters to Cheese & Wine:D

•••
Your BMW has a value even if you did only buy it yesterday.
My rusted in place on the driveway for 2 decades Lada that doesnt even start does not have a value.
A 10 year old limited edition Ferrari has a value

Junk is Junk, Diamonds are Diamonds - age as the defining factor really only matters to Cheese & Wine:D

Beauty is in the Eyes of the beholder.

At least that's what the mothers of ugly people tell them. my mother told me that! lol

•••
The point, I think is that there is high probability of finding a good domain in an 'aged domain search' than a new domain.
This is because when you are hand regging a new domain, it's value is based on only your own perception.
Nobody registered it till that day, perhaps because it was not considered valuable from other people's general perception.
Whereas the aged domain got renewed for multiple year and may be even by multiple users.

At the same time, the new hand regged domain could also be result of one's own creativity or unique insight.
In that case of course it could be good.

To conclude, one cannot say that all hand regged are bad or all aged domains excellent.

It's just that the probability of aged domain being good is more compared to an hand regged.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for asking a great question Ravindra. Kudos to you.

•••
I found the debate helpful. Thanks to all the contributors esp. @steven55 for the summary
Whereas the aged domain got renewed for multiple year and may be even by multiple users.

•••
Aged domain with strong backlinks (active backlinks) is good for development.
But consider this: a 21 years old domain will have how many active (and 15, 20 or 21 years old) backlinks? Quite few. Not more than 100 (if it's not a brand like coca cola) as many old sites started at time might be defunct, their domains parked, or expired!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back