Dynadot

question How does the age of a keyword .com speak to the value of that keyword?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello,
When it comes to keywords I always try to find value. Especially in the .com and especially if it's been registered since say 1995.

Does the fact that a domain like East.com 1995 or Zoom.com 1999 give undeniable value to those keywords across other extensions automatically? is it or should it be "understood".

is "extra salesmanship" needed?

Or is it or should it be plain as day?

what value would these keywords have in country code extensions or even the obscure new GTLD's?

For example, can we honestly say that because say a domain like Zoom.com sold for $2,000,000 then our "zoom" domain in whatever extension should be sold at $5,000? or $10,000 wholesale?

what about in an auction then?

obviously ultimately it's up to the buyer to see value but it's our duty as sellers to show them the value where the seller otherwise doesn't see it.

Other things of course factor into the equation like what other domains with "zoom" sold for in the past.

As a buyer, does the fact that Zoom.com sold for $2,000,000 make you want to bid at auction on a "zoom" domain that's not a .com?

Would you feel "compelled" enough?

It goes without saying that proper promotion is key here.

so would an exact match single keyword domain in some other extension "sell it self" so to speak?

does it depend on the extension? doesn't the "star power" of the keyword alone make the sale or auction?

What it the domain has been registered since 1995?

can someone say.

"Well zoom.com has been around since 1995 and sold for $2 million. Therefore, all single word "Zoom" domains are valuable. So I'm asking $100,000. What's your offer?"

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the value of the other TLDs depends on what the domain can be used for. Looking at your example, I can see zoom.io doing well as a stock photography website. It should be a relatively easy sell to someone in that field, especially when the owner of the .com version has no intentions of selling it. The surrounding circumstances will always affect how much selling you're going to have to do.

•••
I think the value of the other TLDs depends on what the domain can be used for. Looking at your example, I can see zoom.io doing well as a stock photography website. It should be a relatively easy sell to someone in that field, especially when the owner of the .com version has no intentions of selling it. The surrounding circumstances will always affect how much selling you're going to have to do.

but what it the extension based on sales "sucks"?

•••
but what it the extension based on sales "sucks"?

...and my knee-jerk reaction to that question is why do they suck? Lean methodology suggests that you go down the 5 levels of 'Why'. It invariably leads to human error. The general populous have the herd mentality. Dare I say that when the first TLD sells poorly, it triggers an avalanche of bad subsequent sales for the other extensions. So if the person who sold zoom.net for instance got a crappy deal for whatever reason (which may or may not be desperation), it becomes the basis of comparison for all the other extensions.

Take my hypothesis with a grain of salt. :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back