IT.COM

How do you use keyword domains for SEO?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
If I had the domain name 'domain-name.com', and wanted to use this for SEO optimization, would it be enough to simply redirect this domain to my established site (such as the Point Zero site in my sig)? Or would I have to create a whole new website around 'domain-name.com', and market and build up links to this domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You'll get penalized if the seach engines find two domains with the exact same content. I have heard that you won't get penalized for a 301 redirect. I just did some research on this and the way to go is to use the dashed name as you real and search registered name. Keep the old name on a blank site with a 301 permanant redirect to the dashed name. You can continue to promote the old URL and it will end up at the seach registered name. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds reasonable.

•••
Domain-Name.com cant do anything alone by itself. The keywords in the domain are not strong enough to make any success or everyone would be doing it right? Everyone would just go out and buy a domain-register-marketing-research-buying-selling.com
Your Domain-Name.com has to have some form of content.

I have heard you could/couldnt get penalized for having two sites of the same content, however, It doesnt make much sense to me.
If it was true I could penalize my competitors. That wouldnt be very fair.

•••
I have no idea. If your domain came with Control Panel 8 then you can use their script :kickass:

•••
So what all of you are saying is that for the site to benefit from the keywords, the keyword-rich domain must be the actual site? So buying a lot of keyword-rich domains to point to one main site would be useless from an SEO point of view?

Hello - any SEO experts around here?

•••
Keyword-domain only helps to get your keywords in the anchor link text. You don't even need a keyword-domain if the anchor text link is good.
Just need links with the keywords as the anchor text to the site. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back