IT.COM

advice How can I make money from my domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

papaformigas

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I have quite a few domain names now and I want to monetize then because they are sitting on the registrar and they all show some ads probably from the registrar. Well I want that all the traffic and money from those webpage ads and links comes back to me because I am the owner of the domains so I want an advice of what i need to do to achieve that monetization out from my domain names.

Some of them have excellent traffic so I want to make some profit from them... but how??

- Domain parking? (don't know what is needed...)
- Creating Forums? (time consuming)
- Creating Blogging something? (needs constant updates and some good ideas and knowledge about some themes)
- Creating some content? (need some ideas and time to dedicate to the topic)
- what else?

Also how does it work the domain parking and who are the key players in that business?

Hope you can give me some directions!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,
Quite a lot has been written on this forum about parking. To avoid repetition you would probably be best served by reading everything you can that has been written by parking pros on this forum to help you determine if parking is for you. In its simplest form - it is certainly the easiest of the concepts you list however it is multi-faceted.
There are 2 types of key parking players - individual parking companies and "aggregators". With individual parking companies like ParkingCrew, Voodoo, DomainSponsor/Rook, Bodis you create an account, set your DNS to their name servers, they display the landers with some customization typically available to your taste and you get paid. If you decide to change parking companies for all or part of your domains - you would manually do so by changing NS. There are many parking investors who successfully track the performance of their domains and make manual changes between parking companies based upon their own analysis.
Aggregators (such as ParkLogic.com and Above.com) use an internal system to constantly "test" different parking companies to determine the best results. In the case of Above - you would open individual parking accounts and select which accounts you would like Above to use in your rotation. You set your NS to Above and Above handles the traffic routing by continually testing your traffic against sets of 2 parking companies. In addition, at Above, there is a feature called Maximizer that is primarily a zero click system (research zero click if you are unfamiliar with the term) and the method by which Above earns money since the rest of its "aggregator" service referred to as their Monetization AutoPilot - is free. ParkLogic is also an aggregator however they determine the mix of parking companies (with your input). ParkLogic charges a fee for their service. With ParkLogic you do not require individual parking accounts.
Typically, someone starting in parking would select one or more individual parking companies and test the waters to get a feel for performance and then evolve to use one of the aggregators.
The nature of your domains may be a factor in how best your domains are monetized (higher volume, lower quality vs high quality, lower volume). If you have domains that have been fail-listed by Google - you may need a direct account with a parking company that offers a Yahoo feed. If you have a lot of adult traffic - there is a discussion you can find on Namepros regarding setting up your own "tube" that may monetize better than traditional parking. If you have specific questions related to getting started - please feel free to ask here or PM me.

Good luck and welcome to the beginning of your parking education.

•••
Hi,
Quite a lot has been written on this forum about parking. To avoid repetition you would probably be best served by reading everything you can that has been written by parking pros on this forum to help you determine if parking is for you. In its simplest form - it is certainly the easiest of the concepts you list however it is multi-faceted.
There are 2 types of key parking players - individual parking companies and "aggregators". With individual parking companies like ParkingCrew, Voodoo, DomainSponsor/Rook, Bodis you create an account, set your DNS to their name servers, they display the landers with some customization typically available to your taste and you get paid. If you decide to change parking companies for all or part of your domains - you would manually do so by changing NS. There are many parking investors who successfully track the performance of their domains and make manual changes between parking companies based upon their own analysis.
Aggregators (such as ParkLogic.com and Above.com) use an internal system to constantly "test" different parking companies to determine the best results. In the case of Above - you would open individual parking accounts and select which accounts you would like Above to use in your rotation. You set your NS to Above and Above handles the traffic routing by continually testing your traffic against sets of 2 parking companies. In addition, at Above, there is a feature called Maximizer that is primarily a zero click system (research zero click if you are unfamiliar with the term) and the method by which Above earns money since the rest of its "aggregator" service referred to as their Monetization AutoPilot - is free. ParkLogic is also an aggregator however they determine the mix of parking companies (with your input). ParkLogic charges a fee for their service. With ParkLogic you do not require individual parking accounts.
Typically, someone starting in parking would select one or more individual parking companies and test the waters to get a feel for performance and then evolve to use one of the aggregators.
The nature of your domains may be a factor in how best your domains are monetized (higher volume, lower quality vs high quality, lower volume). If you have domains that have been fail-listed by Google - you may need a direct account with a parking company that offers a Yahoo feed. If you have a lot of adult traffic - there is a discussion you can find on Namepros regarding setting up your own "tube" that may monetize better than traditional parking. If you have specific questions related to getting started - please feel free to ask here or PM me.

nice answer
Thank You

•••
Hi,

Hi, Jeff. Thanks for the explanation. Do I understand you correctly, I can sign up with many parking companies with all the "same names", then get an Above.com account and they will do the redirect to the best parking company at the moment?

•••
Yes Mr. Mike - correct - with Above you would create accounts with each parking company you wish to have in rotation at Above and upload all of your names to each parking company and Above. Be sure to activate the parking companies you wish in rotation at Above. It can get a little confusing if for example you decide to later deactivate a specific parking company due to say poor performance. If all of your domains with Above are "auto optimizing" in one or more folders and not in locked folders with specific traffic percentages going to specific parking companies Above will not know not to send traffic to the parking company that you have deactivated. The only way to get around this will be to the use Above's internal "blacklist" to stop the traffic from being sent to an account you no longer have active. Even so, due to some obscure caching issues there can be some "leakage of traffic" even if you create the blacklist as described. A few of us have seen some bizarre leakage of parking traffic that goes on for months after DNS has been changed and this may have nothing to do with Above. As to redirecting to the best parking company - it is a little more complicated.
In folders where you allow Above to carry out full optimization - they are constantly testing parking companies against each other to determine a winner. Once the winner has been determined they then take a small percentage (2%) of the traffic and test the winner against the other companies in your rotation. Traffic going to the "best parking company at the moment" applies with Above's Maximizer - which is an auction system for their own direct advertiser network. It is you choice as to whether you have Maximizer active or inactive. Many of us have it enabled but there are exceptions and it is something you may wish to monitor closely to ensure there is no bias affecting your revenue. Maximizer is the way Above makes money The rest of their service is free.

•••
Thanks again Jeff for your detailed explanation.

•••
I must say Jeff has got a great knowledge about the market

•••
Some people prefer saving the domain name and then selling in future for higher price but you'll have to research on it for that.

•••
to make more money you should simply have excellent negotiation skills and get the buyer ready at the price you want.

•••
Glad I found this thread. Thanks for the info Jeff Weller! I signed up with both Above and Bodis to try this out. I usually develop my domains but I have so many sites in the queue right now that I might as well see if they can earn $ while they're waiting for site development.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back