NameSilo

question How can domains be stolen? Submit ways or Experience or if you've done it (lol)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I've read many threads on here about domains being stolen. And it always makes me wonder HOW? Seems impossible. Perhaps the more we talk about it the more we can protect ourselves from it.

so I thought why not start a "How do domains get stolen?" Thread.

That way we have one thread that can be reference instead of scattered "stolen" stories here and there. Hopefully people will contribute their experience. and even better. if someone is cocky enough and using a fake NP account they will share. ( I know most people who have done bad things love to "show off" how they did it. It's no fun unless people know you got away with it. I've seen documentaries on TV where they block the person's face and voice to hide their identity. I bet one of these criminals is bold enough to come here and expose to us the "tools of the trade" and how it's done. Let's see!)

So you will be first?

and criminals? come here and brag if you dare.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well this got controversial... haha. Here's my input:

I don't have a personal experience with a domain being hijacked (thankfully)!! I am a security freak at heart. I have 2-factor authentication on all of my accounts, and I use a different randomly generated password for each one. I have transfer lock on, and I never click any fake emails. I always make sure it's coming from an authentic email, and I go to the website instead of clicking a link. If I get an email from my "registrar" asking me to click something (even if it seems legit), I will go to the registrar's site directly to take care of it (if this is possible).

It's important to watch for WHOIS contact verification requests! My brother almost got bit by this. He owns a very valuable first+last .com domain and he transferred registrars (and yes - he meant to, it was not a mistake). He then wasn't looking at his inbox, and got about 4 emails from Namecheap requesting him to click a link to verify his contact info. He never did and came close to losing the domain. It was already in the suspension stage. It wasn't until he tried to visit it that he realized something was wrong. Always check your email!!

welcome to the thread. appreciate the input. and yes this did get Controversial indeed! lol

btw way. very balzy using your own pic. I'm not that brave lol. Get a haircut ya hippie! lol jk.

•••
here's another way domains CAN get stolen and I guess would fall under the category of this thread and a recent popular thread on NP put a spotlight on. ( not going to mention the name here but I'm sure you already know the thread)

PayPal Chargebacks when the seller takes payment and buyer takes ownership of domains. and then the buyer submits a Chargeback dispute and wins.

I'm going to be Capt Obvious here.

Yet another example of why you should never use Paypal for transactions and always use Escrow services?

when are they going to come up with Micropayment Escrow services?

whoever does I bet will make Bank!

now that's a million dollar idea. who's going to do this? send me my royalties when you do! lol

•••
Yep, that's the way to do it!

By the way, NameCheap does their verifications by email and requires you to do it this way.

Yeah, I realized I didn't totally "say it like it is" in my email. I guess I do click links in my email, I just make sure I know what I'm clicking. I verify both the sender and the link before clicking it.

•••
welcome to the thread. appreciate the input. and yes this did get Controversial indeed! lol

btw way. very balzy using your own pic. I'm not that brave lol. Get a haircut ya hippie! lol jk.

Haha! Well, it's plastered all over my social media and website and stuff. Nice knowing that you "appreciate" my hair :P

•••
here's another way domains CAN get stolen and I guess would fall under the category of this thread and a recent popular thread on NP put a spotlight on. ( not going to mention the name here but I'm sure you already know the thread)

PayPal Chargebacks when the seller takes payment and buyer takes ownership of domains. and then the buyer submits a Chargeback dispute and wins.

I'm going to be Capt Obvious here.

Yet another example of why you should never use Paypal for transactions and always use Escrow services?

when are they going to come up with Micropayment Escrow services?

whoever does I bet will make Bank!

now that's a million dollar idea. who's going to do this? send me my royalties when you do! lol

Ohhh, very interesting. So why would anyone sell domains via PayPal? I mean, I always just use the Namecheap marketplace. What advantage is there to doing it via PayPal?

•••
Yeah, I realized I didn't totally "say it like it is" in my email. I guess I do click links in my email, I just make sure I know what I'm clicking. I verify both the sender and the link before clicking it.

You will usually know when these emails are legit because they come when you initiate a transfer or some other domain related change and they usually come pretty quickly after the change is made, and you are expecting them.

What are the odds of it being from an unknown sender at that exact time.

How would they know?

•••
Haha! Well, it's plastered all over my social media and website and stuff. Nice knowing that you "appreciate" my hair :P
yea I'm going to need to get on that "blogging" band wagon like all thee other pro domainers. and make a "name" for myself. kinda dreading that as I like to be private but I guess it's unavoidable.

already secured my domains for this.

it's already understood that I will have haters as indicated by all the "love" on NP .lol

It's ok though I have plenty of "friends" on social networks who want to learn how to make money domaining.

turning a $1.99 or 99 cents to $50 or $100 is always a good "hook" any random casual internet user.

•••
You will usually know when these emails are legit because they come when you initiate a transfer or some other domain related change and they usually come pretty quickly after the change is made, and you are expecting them.

What are the odds of it being from an unknown sender at that exact time.

How would they know?

yes just like that bogus Linkedlin.com email that was not caught by my email provider

•••
yea I'm going to need to get on that "blogging" band wagon like all thee other pro domainers. and make a "name" for myself. kinda dreading that as I like to be private but I guess it's unavoidable.

already secured my domains for this.

it's already understood that I will have haters as indicated by all the "love" on NP .lol

It's ok though I have plenty of "friends" on social networks who want to learn how to make money domaining.

turning a $1.99 or 99 cents to $50 or $100 is always a good "hook" any random casual internet user.

Hey, welcome to the internet, my friend. There will always be hate, but there will always be people who support you. The internet is insanely dark - people say stuff that they'd never say to your face. Why? It's easier to type on a keyboard then to say it while looking at someone. That's just how it is..

•••
Ohhh, very interesting. So why would anyone sell domains via PayPal? I mean, I always just use the Namecheap marketplace. What advantage is there to doing it via PayPal?

can you do a domain deal via namecheap for a deal under say $20? or $50?

•••
yes just like that bogus Linkedlin.com email that was not caught by my email provider

I do not rely on the accuracy of any spam filters.

•••
can you do a domain deal via namecheap for a deal under say $20? or $50?

Yep. Minimum is $5. Of course, the downside is that Namecheap takes 10%. Also the domain has to be registered with Namecheap. Upside is no transferring - they buy it, and it's then in their Namecheap account, and the deal is done.

•••
Yep. Minimum is $5. Of course, the downside is that Namecheap takes 10%.
oh forgot about that too. that's the bigger temptation to use paypal. no big fat marketplace commission cut.

•••
Getting a little off topic. :xf.smile:

•••
oh forgot about that too. that's the bigger temptation to use paypal. no big fat marketplace commission cut.

True, but you'll pay a higher price for security. And yes, we are getting a bit off topic lol.

•••
True, but you'll pay a higher price for security. And yes, we are getting a bit off topic lol.

Agreed. but Paypal domain transactions really is taking a risk. unless the person has high positive reviews on NP or someone with a good rep in the domain biz. and EVEN then it's 50-50. as history has proven recently.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back