Domain Empire

Here come the IDN gtlds!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.Top Member
Impact
ICANN has received 116 applications for IDN gtlds according to a blog post at Name.com.

Several of those applications are from Google. It makes sense to have extensions in other languages considering that the Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc. alphabets don't use English letters such as the big c-o-m :blink:

Will this be the biggest IDN landrush of all time?

Are you all ready???? 8-X

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Lack of understanding is the reason many domainers shy away from idn's

It's very easy to make a mistake, which many do in the beginning and don't bother again that ......they go with what they know i guess

•••
That's where knowing several languages can come in very handy. Who said those high school classes wouldn't pay off? ;)

•••
That's where knowing several languages can come in very handy. Who said those high school classes wouldn't pay off? ;)

I have considered printing out the words and going to the local chinese shop, of course i will have to order the sweet and sour to make sure i get the correct answer ....

•••

Actually its more simple than most would think once you get the hang of it.

You can start with good old english words into the translator at google.com/translate which does quick (and fairly accurate) translations into dozens of languages.

Then compare words with other specialized language dictionaries, browsee google SERP, check to see if you word comes up accurate at google pictures, check # monthly searches etc and of course ask a native speaker (plenty around willing to help once you network a bit).

Here are some popular dictionaries:

google.com/translate (all languages)
Shabdkosh.com for Hindi
Rustran.com for Russian
Tarjem.com for Arabic
Thai2English.com for Thai
thai-language.com for Thai (check 'catagories' for super easy picking)
MDBG.net for Chinese
WWWJDIC for Japanese
etc...

reg em' up at dynadot, name, moniker, 101 and lots more.
another easy place to pick IDN drops with traffic stats: check out Dynadot expired auctions ;)

Last edited:
•••
some words are not 'stand alone' it is worth seeking confirmation of this

•••
some words are not 'stand alone' it is worth seeking confirmation of this

that's why i mentioned "ask a native speaker" there plenty that are happy to assist.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back