Established Member
Impact
What’s your name?
A: Lightbear (Paul)

Where do you live?
A: Southwest U.S.

What’s your level of expertise?
novice, intermediate, expert, etc.
A: In domain industry, novice. Am knowledgeable and experienced and had successes (including coaching others) in other areas of my life.

How much experience do you have in the domain industry?
years, experience, etc.
A: Little. Bought my first name late 90's and 6 years later began buying names to develop for personal projects. I also had two big sales (for me) when to my surprise two buyers approached me and made an offer I couldn't refuse. I didn't. The sales including escrow went smoothly.

What would you like to specifically learn first?
how to buy a domain, domain history, best selling strategies, government policies, etc.
A: what selling strategies work best for me.

Are you currently working on any projects or ideas?
A: Always have projects. Lots in different areas. I enjoy taking an idea and manifesting it so it's useful for others..

What are your short-term goals in the next year?
A: To learn more. To get my feet wet with a a few sales and learn from that . Then to make a few more sales and learn from that etc.etc.

What are your long-term goals in the next 5 years?
A: Be as successful (or more) in this industry as I was in my last industry of 22 years. I'm re-inventing myself in this industry, Also, in five years I want to be able to look back to the many successful relationships I had with fellow domainers.

What was your first domain you purchased?
A: marriagetools.com (1996), an edu site for engaged and married couples in the U.S. In its first years it became fully developed and was known as a ground breaking website because of its cutting-edge, timeless marriage content. It was popular for years when the internet was just starting. Now the site is dormant. It needs a makeup and the right buyer will know how to make it a revenue generator (which I didn't know how to do back then).

Why did you start investing in domains? Please tell us the story.
A: In my last profession (which started when the internet started), I had success with my U.S. nationwide website that was Google page 1 for years. After a while, the industry started moving to a more local focus and, to continue to thrive, I had to prepare for it - which led me into buying up 50+ local names. Now I'm selling these names because my plans have changed.

What domain technologies do you most want to see evolve the most?
parking, marketplaces, news, analytics, registrars, etc.
A: Don't know enough yet to intelligently comment.

Do you have any predictions for coming trends?
A: Have some hunches but want to learn more to make a good prediction.

What do you enjoy most about domaining?
A: Using my creativity and positive focus to come up with names that meet the needs of certain buyers.

Do you have any predictions for where the entire domain industry is going?
A: Don't have enough experience to comment (but surely I will in the future). That said, I am aware that many here in NP have caught the spirit to freely share what they know with others. I have a good feeling about this. I endeavor to be good at doing this myself.

What’s your funniest domain story?
A: This funny story happened because I didn't catch that I made a typo in buying a domain name. The story: I searched my registrar's database for perfectpitch.com and got it. "Wow! I can't believe that I just made $10k or more", I thought. "How could someone have missed this?" I felt excited and at the same time uneasy. The next day I called my registrar to confirm that I got perfectpitch.com and he said "You bought "pefectpitch.com. I knew it was too good to be true. I laughed and laughed. My take-a-way? Learn from this. I am.

What would you like to delegate most when you’re domaining?
parsing domains, monitoring auctions, data mining, etc.
A: Don't know what is meant by "delegate". Having someone else do this for me? I want to learn about "parsing domains, monitoring auctions, data mining,"??

What significant industry changes have affected you?
A: Need to learn a lot more to be able to intelligently comment.

Thanks to whoever wrote these questions. A great service!!! Lightbear.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hello!

It is obvious you have your feet firmly planted in the realities of domain names and their sales potential.

Going forward you want to acquire the best domains suitable for your capital risk and be prepared to wait out for suitable offers to ( hopefully) come your way.

There are so many domain niches and various extensions to consider and although .com rules there are other ext. some domain name buyers / sellers do well with.

Reading and re-reading the threads and topics across NamePros that best align with your endeavors and goals is a good idea - let the successes and the shortfalls of others help guide your decision making,

Welcome to NamePros!

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Hello and welcome to NamePros!:)

•••
Hello and welcome, I also joined this big family not long ago.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Hello @Lightbear .. and welcome to NamePros! :)

Like many of us who had domains before becoming domainers, your experience certainly can help fast track you along.

That being said .. be very careful not to apply your "development imagination" towards domain name spawning. It's a big mistake many newcomers already experienced in coming up with new businesses make. Basically it's when you see a domain that would make for a good new business idea .. but the problem with those most of the time is that as a domainer, you also need for somebody else to randomly come up with the same idea in order to want the domain. You need to focus on good names for businesses that already exist .. or at least in hot new niches (cannabis, crypto *IF* you feel it's going up and growing .. which not everyone thinks .. lol)

As for the rest .. given your background you're sure to catch on quick.

Best of luck going forward! :)

•••
Hello and Welcome to NamePros!

•••
•••
Welcome to NamePros lightbear

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back