Domain Empire

question Have you ever regretted rejecting an offer on one of your domains?

NameSilo
Watch
I guess it has happened to a may of domainers. Has it ever happened to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yep. I did it recently on a domain I was asking $8k for (after negotiation). I rejected a $5.2k bid via GoDaddy/Afternic as being too low. About a week and a half later I looked at my finances, and said, you know what? I could do with that $5.2k sum in my bank account right now. (Minus broker fees) So I went back to the broker and said OK. But never heard back from them after they confirmed they would contact the original buyer. (Bad Brokering Etiquette). The buyer would have gotten a bargain. IMHO :) But expect they found an alternative domain.

Last edited:
•••
I think we've all rejected mid to high xx,xxx offers on domains. Just learn from the mistake and start selling again.

•••
This week i could've had $950 extra

I got an inbound for key\|{}chain dot meh for 600 but my bin was 3k. Everyone says to counter so I countered 1345. They recountered $700 i recountered $800, they then shopped around on undev and found another cheaper alt for 400...

That same day of inbound, a geo I just outbounded got a 250 offer within 20 mins. I countered 275. They reject3d and now that I went ahead and re-offered their 250, they're not responding..

Eh... I probably have 2k to 3k lost profits from these "rejected offers"

•••
This week i could've had $950 extra

I got an inbound for key\|{}chain dot meh for 600 but my bin was 3k. Everyone says to counter so I countered 1345. They recountered $700 i recountered $800, they then shopped around on undev and found another cheaper alt for 400...

That same day of inbound, a geo I just outbounded got a 250 offer within 20 mins. I countered 275. They reject3d and now that I went ahead and re-offered their 250, they're not responding..

Eh... I probably have 2k to 3k lost profits from these "rejected offers"
You win some, you lose some. If, your investment in the domain itself is less than $100 and you got those kind of offers they are nice. I sometimes accept offers on a domain without countering to avoid such problems. Depends on the domain and how long until expiry.

•••
They reject3d and now that I went ahead and re-offered their 250, they're not responding..

This is, in my experience, a very common phenomenon, particularly if the name is not one the end-user desperately needs or likes a lot.

Since sales negotiations are a kind of psychological battle, many end-users (and people in general) let their pride affect their business dealings. It's like if the end-user is saying, "He didn't take my generous offer, so let me give him a lesson now. I'm no longer interested..."

•••
You win some, you lose some. If, your investment in the domain itself is less than $100 and you got those kind of offers they are nice. I sometimes accept offers on a domain without countering to avoid such problems. Depends on the domain and how long until expiry.

Yeh DO, guess I'm just still learning how to negotiate.. when to ask for more, when not to ask for more... How to deal with the risk of losing a sail altogether versus gaining mid-xxx on top of an offer...

When you're at the dealer's table it feels so high stakes because all this is running through your mind.

One day I'll get it tho ^_^

•••
This is, in my experience, a very common phenomenon, particularly if the name is not one the end-user desperately needs or likes a lot.

Since sales negotiations are a kind of psychological battle, many end-users (and people in general) let their pride affect their business dealings. It's like if the end-user is saying, "He didn't take my generous offer, so let me give him a lesson now. I'm no longer interested..."

Wow I never thought about it like this! Thanks infosec!

I didn't think about it from that mindset that they offered a high offer. But i don't think this is the case with Undeveloped domains because there is a clearly stated BIN.

So they know they're offering less than what's being asked. But i think me trying to ask for their original offer makes the domain look less appealing. Or who knows.

Wish there was a way to remedy this. But i suppose I'll renew it hoping for an inbound.

•••
I rejected $1000+ offer for a .mobi years ago. :guilty:

•••
I think we've all rejected mid to high xx,xxx offers on domains. Just learn from the mistake and start selling again.

Lol have we? The majority haven't even sold for mid to high xx,xxx, let alone turned it down. That is assuming you mean USD.

•••

Yeah, pretty much my theory as well.

I am pretty sure almost every domain investor has regretted not taking an offer or two.
But you can't predict the future, and things tend to balance out over time.

Brad

•••

... Bite your nose off to spite your face :) I've been the giver and recipient of this strategy my whole life. I did it just yesterday. I've been shopping for a fan and a microwave. There are very limited choices in the biggest department store chain. With pretty much no competition. Eventually decided on the models in one of the department store chains outlets. I was getting tired, not only for the day, but for the whole shopping experience, over days. They came back and said, one of the items was out of stock. I said OK. Forget it :(

•••
... Bite your nose off to spite your face :) I've been the giver and recipient of this strategy my whole life. I did it just yesterday. I've been shopping for a fan and a microwave. There are very limited choices in the biggest department store chain. With pretty much no competition. Eventually decided on the models in one of the department store chains outlets. I was getting tired, not only for the day, but for the whole shopping experience, over days. They came back and said, one of the items was out of stock. I said OK. Forget it :(

I'm scratching my head wondering why you didn't just buy it online where they're no doubt cheaper lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back