IT.COM

discuss Have new TLDs affected the .COM aftermarket?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
From your personal experience, have you seen fewer aftermarket .COM sales from your personal portfolio than was the case three to five years ago (pre new TLD)? Or perhaps you have seen certain types of .COM domains i.e. three words that do not get as much interest? I am not talking about numeric or LL/LLL .COM domains - just two and three-word brandables or two-word.COM domains with only modest search volume.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my opinion, nothing has changed in the end user market. Nothing at all. End users for the most part have no clue about the new g's.

The growth of the new gTLD's, in my opinion, has been fueled by domainers, thinking that the Chinese interest in 3L, 4L, etc, will bleed over into new gTLD's and they don't want to miss the boat.

Who knows if there will be investor interest in new gTLD's? I sure don't. I have added *a small amount* of new gTLD's, but in my own mind, the excitement has passed, and I am back to looking for mostly .com for flipping, holding, and selling to end users.

I do wish the best to the new gTLD's but I think the huge amount of supply coupled with the silly premium pricing of new kids on the block, only make .com even more attractive than it is has alway been.

Edit: I do think there are great ccTLD's though. :)

•••
godaddy is still running a tv commercial, telling viewers that they can get a "new www .com domain for $1" and build a website today.

they aren't trying to inform the general public about new gtld's

imo...

•••
There are so many new gtld's I don't even know how they could advertise them. I know that GoDaddy uses .com as the hook, but they have enhanced their Suggested Domains to include many gTLD's instead of .com variations.

•••
imo, gTLD's compliment their matching .coms, I know I bought a few .coms because they matched a ngtld.

I'm not talking about healthservices.xyz, I'm talking about health.services & healthservices.com

•••
The supply of domain extensions has now been increased - but not in response to any identified end-user demand.

And there lies the problem. End user demand is the same. Many many more choices. Harder and harder to justify paying a premium for a good .com when there are so many more alternatives.

Lower and lower offers for .coms

•••
What the newbies don't realize is how difficult it is to even sell a .COM.

It is not difficult to find POTENTIAL end users and with enough contacts generate a response. However, end users that already have a domain (no matter how crappy it is) or which primarily use social media accounts for their marketing presence are just not that receptive to spending money on a domain - even when you put a reasonable price on it. Carrying inventory and spending one's limited time on outbound marketing efforts comes at a cost. At least .COM renewals are under $10 but I cannot imagine the frustration of trying to reach out to end users to sell a .XYZ or more than 90% of the new TLDs - it would be a total waste of time. But who on earth is going to spend real money to buy an aftermarket .XYZ? It is not their first or second or even third choice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back