Dynadot

GTalk Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Are there any copyright or trademark issues with Gtalk domains? GTalk is an abbreviation of Google Talk. I know Google have a trademark for Google Talk but i am unsure about GTalk domain names. Could someone please help? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
www.uspto.gov

I doubt it... but don't make a profit off of it. If you get one...

•••
compuXP said:
www.uspto.gov

I doubt it... but don't make a profit off of it. If you get one...
so i can't put any ads on it if i do make a site for it?

•••
I'd be very careful. Google is very protective over what they consider their domains.

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
GtalkBlog.com would be a great one ;)
A great one for a lawsuit.

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
Really, I guess googletalk blog.com is in trouble...lol

I think you are too quick to say lawsuit :imho:
Well consider this.

You can go ahead and spend a year building your site. Putting hours of work into it. Then a year from now Google sends you a notice saying your violating their trademark, theres most of that time wasted.

At the same time, its common sense not to use someones trademarked name.

•••
The very fact that you yourself associated the term "GTalk" with "Google Talk" implies that there is a connection between the two at "some level" mentally. This is exactly what trademarks are meant to protect... mind share. You cannot profit from the popularity of someone else's popular brand... something that they've taken great pains to establish.... Legally as well, if someone uses a variation of a trademarked term, it "can be" considered to be a trademark violation (the risk is there).

•••
sm said:
The very fact that you yourself associated the term "GTalk" with "Google Talk" implies that there is a connection between the two at "some level" mentally. This is exactly what trademarks are meant to protect... mind share. You cannot profit from the popularity of someone else's popular brand... something that they've taken great pains to establish.... Legally as well, if someone uses a variation of a trademarked term, it "can be" considered to be a trademark violation (the risk is there).

very true. you don't need to say google, the g alone and the above statement you made makes your domain a copyright infringement

•••
i doubt it, i dont think google went as far to copyright gtalk, as im pretty sure its open source like everything else google releases.. DOnt expect not to hear anyting

i would put at disclamer: not in anyway affiliated with google inc

•••
What's up with the board lately? This is at least the THIRD seperate thread this week that I've seen by some dude trying to shave points by using some jive turkey Google-sounding domain name!

Well, you'd all better bark up a much different tree, guys. Because THIS tree's got one of the BIGGEST dogs waiting up in the branches for you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back