IT.COM

GreatDomains.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I may have missed this but I received this email note from greatdomains.com. Just a little info for you:

Thanks very much but unfortunately we'll be removing all listings that are not .tv, .com, .net or .org in the next month or so.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the heads up!
I personally have not received this message yet, Other than the .tv, I think they are on the right move.

•••
Strange move. Verisign owns the .TV extension so could be why they're keeping that one.

•••
Any idea what strategy that move has? Doesn't make sense to me, unless they plan to focus their efforts only on those limited extensions?

•••
I think they must feel that this is where the money is. With the ever increasing list of extensions the less common ones will be selling for less. If these extensions account for over 90% of their turnover ( and I think they will ) then an effort to get higher prices for these and drop the rest makes sence.

This may have implications when buying a domain as an investment. If they set the tread then it may be for the most part these will be the ones to go for.

•••
Integration great domains into WLS Plans?

•••
Robert makes a good point as to their motivation, but it would be a shame if it made ccTLDs worth even less...

•••
Yeow. Doesn't GD/ Verisign also have an interest in .cc ? What I really don't like about this at all, is that .info is not on the list. .TV on and .Info off? Self interest is definitely involved here. In a twisted sort of way, I enjoy the fact that the reason for keeping .TV on the list is so transparent and, IMHO,somewhat "cheapens" the criterium GreatDomains uses, weakening it's aura of being a benchmark standard, (at least, as I have perceived GD in the past).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back