IT.COM

news Governments Angry Over Two-Letter Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Doing my morning reading I came across this article....

Government anger over two-letter domains
Governments from Brazil, Iran, China and the European Union are among at least 10 angered that the names are either not adequately protected or only available for exorbitant prices
In November, ICANN approved a policy that released all two-letter strings on the proviso that registrants have to assert that they will not pass themselves off as affiliated with the countries concerned.

What I found interesting was the last paragraph...
Two-letter domains are valuable properties even in new gTLDs. With each expected to sell for thousands, two-letter names are likely to be a multimillion dollar windfall for even moderately sized portfolio registries.
I happen to have many two letter ccTLD domains. I wonder if they will become highly valuable over time?

Here's a link to the full article:
http://domainincite.com/21628-government-anger-over-two-letter-domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not sure I agree with that , it's as if the person does not realise exactly how many extensions there actually is , and if a market gets saturated prices plummet. :cautious:

•••
I think it would be good for current cctld registrants as it will eliminate confusion.
Example: lotion.us vs us.lotion

•••
Will be interesting to see how it works out, personally not interested in short when the extension is long anyway like xx.accountants is still 13 characters plus dot. Even if the registries offered defensive registrations to interested governments at normal prices, the number of extensions gets ridiculous fast.

There are certain ccTLDs that have similar restrictions on LL, rather silly IMO. Total 676 LL possible, and there are ~300 ccTLDs in use that end up being restricted, it is in the offering ccTLDs best interest to allow for maximum revenue.

What countries can you pretend to be @Silentptnr ?

Here's a few who I can impersonate : wink :
be.xx Belgium
dk.xx Denmark
vc.xx Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
vg.xx British Virgin Islands
sx.xx Sint Maarten

•••
Well i just read about the new internet in another thread on this site. If the new internet has its way a lot of people are going to be happy and a lot of people are going to be mad because they allow any domain ext for the same price unregulated. Any domain name you want it is crazy! I can't believe that is even legal. They just created a new internet and selling your domain name on it now.

•••
Well i just read about the new internet in another thread on this site. If the new internet has its way a lot of people are going to be happy and a lot of people are going to be mad because they allow any domain ext for the same price unregulated. Any domain name you want it is crazy! I can't believe that is even legal. They just created a new internet and selling your domain name on it now.
The thing is their domain names only works with people that downloaded their app. The only way imo we will ever see a fragmented/alternate internets is if countries are behind it. That said lucky for me I have internets.us:)

•••
I think it would be good for current cctld registrants as it will eliminate confusion.
Example: lotion.us vs us.lotion
Correction: I meant it would be bad not good.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back