IT.COM

.tv Google Universal Search Release and its impact to US

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SKG

Established Member
Impact
I came across this article below by Wolfgang Gruener and I want to say this could be really really spectacular for video related sites, ie .TV As it stands Google's engines for searches are separated for example Google has a separate engine to search video. The new Universal Search will search video, books, etc as well all at once. Why would they do this? Youtube of course, they bought them remember and now will drive even more traffic to it via their own search engine! Little thumbnails will show in search results as well as the normal description. My thinking is that if your site has videos they may get indexed into this as well. This will benefit us as well. How great is this!! This is by far some of the best news I have heard in months and time will tell.

Google integrates search engines
Software
By Wolfgang Gruener
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 14:46

Mountain View (CA) – Google today announced may be the most significant enhancement to the company’s core search engine in several years: Google is integrating search engines that so far have operated as separate entities into the main Google search. It also marks the first time that YouTube is closely embedded into Google search results.

Google’s “search-ology” briefing started early today as so many Google briefings, which sometimes promise more information than they actually deliver. But the company held back a big news item until the very end of the event: Google today launched a major new functionality to its search engine, called Universal Search.

Universal Search, which Google said has been in the making for the past two years, combines searches across the regular search engine, books, local, images, news and videos. The transition from the old, standalone main Google search to an integrated search results in a very subtle visual change on the search results page – in fact, in most cases users will have to look very closely to notice Universal Search at all. However, when in full swing, searches run through the main Google engine will return, for example, maps and images of hotels, videos about historic events and how-to topics, or news items about people of current interest.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32066/140/
Example of Google Universal Search: A video result is displayed in the results page.

Google claims that it was able to apply an enhanced page ranking system across all different media and list the most relevant search results on the top of the page – where readers are most likely scan results for the information they are looking for.

Company representatives said that Universal Search required a whole new infrastructure for search, keeping more than 100 engineers busy over a period of more than two years. The company declined to provide details how much more computational power Universal Search requires. Udi Manber, vice president of engineering said that the change “obviously suggests than running ten queries instead of one results in about ten times then cost.” In reality, “it is much closer to one,” he said.

Universal Search is the first time that we see YouTube to be tightly integrated in Google. Google videos and YouTube videos will play right out of the search results page; videos found on other websites will not play in Google and Google will drive traffic to those sites instead. According to Google co-founder Sergey Brin, the integration of YouTube into Google will not only show the entertainment value of the video site, but highlight the research value, which he described as “underappreciated” today. He hopes that especially how-to videos will improve the search results offered by Google.

Universal Search is going online sometime today and should be available everywhere on the globe sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am amazed that nobody found this story to be earth shattering. It is such a boot for video type sites.

•••
I have indeed found that the ground is shaking under my feet SKG.......and this move forward is a huge move forward for .tv too....make no mistake.......but the news comes as no major surprise.....it is the INEVITABLE march towards TV/VIDEO INTERNET CONVERGENCE...........

•••
Yes! I just posted this in 'Industry News":
http://www.namepros.com/industry-news/328742-6-years-making-googles-universal-search.html (Check out the links)

The inclusion of video and maps in search results is a 'killer app', in my book. Or maybe its just my bias... as own UniversalSearch.TV and have a bunch of Geo/map domains... like GeoTourism.TV

With all the new, venture backed, innovative video sites coming online, Silverlight and JavaFx, to compete with Flash, mobile TV streaming and the Me.TV launch putting the spotlight on .TV ... I think online video is going to be Bigger than anybody thought.

These are exciting times folks! Enjoy it, for as long as you can... as this magnitude of progress only happens once a century. Universal Search is the search format for the forseeable future!

•••
eyedomainous said:
Yes! I just posted this in 'Industry News":
http://www.namepros.com/industry-news/328742-6-years-making-googles-universal-search.html (Check out the links)

The inclusion of video and maps in search results is a 'killer app', in my book. Or maybe its just my bias... as own UniversalSearch.TV and have a bunch of Geo/map domains... like GeoTourism.TV

With all the new, venture backed, innovative video sites coming online, Silverlight and JavaFx, to compete with Flash, mobile TV streaming and the Me.TV launch putting the spotlight on .TV ... I think online video is going to be Bigger than anybody thought.

These are exciting times folks! Enjoy it, for as long as you can... as this magnitude of progress only happens once a century. Universal Search is the search format for the forseeable future!

Very well put - once a century may not be too big a word to use

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back