IT.COM

discuss Google to Ban Cryptocurrency Ads-Thoughts on Domains As Result?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BMWMotoRider

Established Member
Impact
Google said yesterday it will ban ads related to Cryptocurrency in June 2018.

How do you see this affecting the value of Crypto-related domains-Positively or Negatively?

Seems to me that organic search will be even more important to Crypto-related businesses-thus, making descriptive key-word domain names in this space more valuable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/google-bans-crypto-ads.html

Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you tell me how can a BAN from biggest search engine affect something positively?

Thanks

•••
It's a ban on the Google ad platform. Not a ban on search results.

•••
crypto were beyond google grasp and threatening their hegemony, i will not surprise even if google also excluding crypto/ico from their search result LOL

•••
•••
•••
search result mean organic traffic while ad platform (adwords) mean paid traffic

I know that, but a BAN is still a BAN. Even if for only paid search.

•••
This is a result of the Davos meeting. Crypto is under attack! A few weeks ago - immediately after the Davos meeting Facebook already banned crypto ads. The war against crypto will intensify in 2018.

•••
It doesn't change anything. Facebook has done the same thing

•••
It doesn't change anything. Facebook has done the same thing
wait and see, if the major government start to act it might quite depressing for crypto and all of their exchanger services

•••
No govt or company can ban crypto. They will need to accept it eventually.

•••
World is big enough. There will be always some smart country will do business with crypto.

•••
•••
And I think online forums, review, chat etc. are equal or more effective. Users usually not bother much with unknown ads but online discussions keep them familiar. Example this forums created millions of visitors for Namebio, Estibot etc.

•••
And whats the difference?

the difference is you will still search for it in google engine.

which is the most important thing which they'll never ban.

•••
•••
I think my portfolio going to hit hard, including my ICOs Expert dot com & many more. Though I had invested little bit in Blockchain which is seem to be next big thing in coming month.

•••
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/google-bans-crypto-ads.html

This is extremely significant negative news and may cause all crypto/bitcoin domain names to quickly drop-off the cliff in value, especially for anyone holding a multi-million dollar name like crypto.com, or with an incredibly high 400k offer (that was said to be declined) on a dubious value name like crypto.info.

This action by google reminds me of negatives involving google which made EMD/Keyword domains decline greatly in popularity and value over the past few years,

•••
Lot of long keyword domains are ridiculous. Any search engine will not tolerate keywords domain without any related text/pages.

But do you really think sex.com lost value because Google adult ad policy?

•••
Instead proper keyword and short domains will increase value because now it is extremely important to obtain a short and memorable name due to online/offline sharing.

Last edited:
•••
This is a ban on Adsense ads in that space, not on general search results. However, it seems very negative that even established players in the space will not be able to advertise. I think that it will indeed be troubling news to the industry, the main effect being that individual investors who jumped into the craze without truly understanding it will take it as a sign that cryptocurrencies are not to be really trusted. While I sort of understand the logic that this will make a domain name even more valuable, I think the opposite will be true and domain names in this space will drop if public acceptance of cryptocurrencies drop. Of course will that really happen as a result of the Google and FB decision is hard to predict.

•••
It's all ads: Google is updating its financial services-related ad policies to ban any advertising about crypto-currency-related content, including initial coin offerings (ICOs), wallets, and trading advice, That means even companies with legitimate crypto-currency offerings won't be allowed to serve ads through any of Google's ad products, which place advertising on its own sites, as well as third-party sites.

I can't imagine who would want to spend big money buying crypto/bitcoin domains when the domain/website cannot run ads on google, facebook and in all likelihood many other marketing venues too.

Last edited:
•••
The big winners, unless pressure comes on them to follow the same policy, will be the alternatives to Google for online advertising. As I read the policy it is about Google served ads: "won't be allowed to serve ads through any of Google's ad products".

I think that it may really have an effect at the low end of the crypto domain market, since ad supported reference sites, blogs, etc. that sometimes buy those domains will have a lot harder time generating revenue.

In a way it seems over-reach. If the concern is false claims and "get rich quick" advertising, surely some sort of approval process that allowed certain players to be approved would have overall done more to improve quality?

Also, surely it will be hard to decide the boundary I think. What about promotion of a book about the field? What about a special issue of a respected newspaper or investment magazine that provide information on the field? I'm sure they have thought of these questions, but no matter how careful the wording there will be grey areas.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back