domains Google On Hyphens In Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
aaa.png

.... Pick A Domain Name That Can Grow

Mueller (Google) is right about picking a domain name that won’t lock your site into one topic. When a site grows in popularity the natural growth path is to expand the range of topics the site coves. But that’s hard to do when the domain is locked into one rigid keyword phrase. That’s one of the downsides of picking a “Best + keyword + reviews” domain, too. Those domains can’t grow bigger and look tacky, too.

Read more (SEJ)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ex: Tld-list.com

Who cares about the hyphen here?
Most of us visit it now and then (at least me)

•••
all-in(.)one is another example

•••
Ex: Tld-list.com

Who cares about the hyphen here?
Most of us visit it now and then (at least me)
German people like"-" because more brandable than they are without "-" in most cases, for example : allinone.im is a German site but they mark it as all-in-one in word

Last edited:
•••
Because hyphens are cheaper to hand reg or buy than proper domains, the hyphen is worse than a stop letter and it gives power back to the domain without hyphen.
Most such of hyphen domains are like Chinese cloned iPhones and other cheap stuff. :ROFL:
IMO
edit: i like to use hyphen where is Dr./Mr. used in domains, I have such domains and I understand that their value is less but who knows we will see in future if they will sell.

Last edited:
•••
Red means available for purchase or
all be taken

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_230510.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_230510.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 54
•••
EveryTimeBlogPost.jpeg

credit: blacknight.blog/puppies-domains-and-startups.html

•••
look at the screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_231809.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_231809.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 51
•••
Because hyphens are cheaper to hand reg or buy than proper domains, the hyphen is worse than a stop letter and it gives power back to the domain without hyphen.
Most such of hyphen domains are like Chinese cloned iPhones and other cheap stuff. :ROFL:
IMO
edit: i like to use hyphen where is Dr./Mr. used in domains, I have such domains and I understand that their value is less but who knows we will see in future if they will sell.
merriam-webster.com

•••
•••
•••
The hyphen trend was based off EMD:s which had a lot of SEO power back in the day.

Couldn't get shoesnewyork.com? How about shoes-newyork.com, or shoes-new-york.com, or why not shoes--newyork.com? Yes, double hyphens were a thing and they yielded the same SEO benefits. So the hyphenated domains started to become associated with ad sites and malware, and the standard was set for future generations.

Last edited:
•••
Most companies are startups in one way or the other, lot of unknowns, no pmf's, no budget but if they're an online business they definitely need a domain name. They may hand register or buy a exact match hyphenated domain.

Later when they get pmf traction followed with funding, they can upgrade to the non-hyphenated version and interestingly majority of the case they'll pivot or rebrand and it's a whole new ball game.

•••
There is nothing inherently wrong with dashes and numerous domains sell for whatever reason at various (high) prices. The issue is when you literally lock down the domain's keywords, e.g. Best-Pears-Apples-Bananas.com and then you start selling strawberries as well.

•••
Some have hyphens in the brand name;
but choose a website without them.

Roto-rooter(.)com a Plumbing company

There are others, but this is the only one that comes to mind. I believe unless the domain is really long; hyphens losing touch, importance.

Recently, i discovered a hyphenated domain: “FastGrowingTrees(.)com it re-directs to hyphen. Since this is a long three word domain, i get it; but, I prefer, no hyphen, in general, for sure.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back